• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I get a plain english explanation of the MA AWB?

I'm sorry if this has come up a million times. I searched and googled and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for an explanation of the MA AWB that is easy to understand. What can/can't I buy? Can I buy a post-ban AR-15 with just 1 "evil" feature (pistol grip), AND high-cap mags? Or do the high-cap mags have to be pre-ban? Or does the rifle itself have to be pre-ban in order to take high-cap mags? That kind of thing.

I'm actually thinking about an AK variant but the questions apply just the same.

Thanks in advance,
Dope

Well the Mag Question is Easy... NO Post Ban High Capacity Mags in Ma Period....My understanding on the AK... No folding stock, No Bayonet Lug, and muzzel break must be welded or pined and silver soldered to the Barrel.. It is ok if it still can take High Cap mags, but it must be pre-Ban high cap mags.. And I think the same things apply to AR-15, Uzi, ect..

Look at the AWB and Mag bans as TWO SEPARATE ENTITIES, because they are. They were part of the same omnibus law, but they are separate.

- NO hi-cap mags for ANYTHING if made after 9/13/94.

- Pre-ban WHOLE GUNS or KITS (made in AW CONFIGURATION PRIOR to 9/13/94 - NOT enough to just having been mfd prior to that date) can be rebuilt almost any which way.

- POST-BAN lowers can only be mated with non-AW configured uppers. They can however, be mated with pre-ban hi-cap mags.

HTH

Ahhhhh I didn't realize the mag ban was a separate thing altogether. So high-cap mags for ANYTHING (rifles, handguns, whatever) are illegal unless pre-ban?

I see that they consider a shotgun with 5+ rounds a large capacity weapon. Is a new 5+ round pump-action considered banned? Or is it because it's a pump action, it's legal? A semi-auto shotgun with 5+ round capacity would then be illegal right?

What about a pistol grip on my post-ban 5+ round pump-action? Does that push it into illegal territory?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Dope

AWB only applies to semi-autos. So pump shotguns with >5 rd capacity are OK, and you can add whatever bling you'd like to it.

Semi-auto shotgun with >5rd MAG capacity would have to be a pre-ban.

Ahhhhh I didn't realize the mag ban was a separate thing altogether. So high-cap mags for ANYTHING (rifles, handguns, whatever) are illegal unless pre-ban?

I see that they consider a shotgun with 5+ rounds a large capacity weapon. Is a new 5+ round pump-action considered banned? Or is it because it's a pump action, it's legal? A semi-auto shotgun with 5+ round capacity would then be illegal right?

What about a pistol grip on my post-ban 5+ round pump-action? Does that push it into illegal territory?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Dope

Pistol grip on a pump gun was never banned and still isn't, AFAIK.

Just pretend that the federal AW and hi-cap mag bans never sunset. Any magazine or firearm that you couldn't have legally purchased or possessed during the federal ban is still illegal in the People's Republic.

Ken

Thanks guys. So it looks like I can get the AR/AK I want as long as it doesn't have any evil features past the pistol grip, and the high-cap mags are pre-ban.

Dope

Can somebody PM me a source for pre-ban AR mags?
Thanks.

Carl at Four Seasons in Woburn had some pre-ban straight body 20 round mags last week -- nice mags with some wear, metal followers. Or check out ar15.com in the equipment exchange, but be careful. Some claim to have pre-ban mags for sale, but unless the mags or their original packaging are dated, then it may be hard to demonstrate that they are in fact pre-ban. At Four Seasons your receipt will say "pre-ban" on it.

Back
Top Bottom