Where are the C&R revolvers?

kalash

NES Member
More specifically Smith and Wessons from, say, the 20s through the 60s. I've never seen one for sale as a C&R gun. Am I not looking in the right places or is there more to this? Plenty of Nagants, Webleys, and old Colts though.

FS had a smith M1917 brazilian contract in the case for the longest time, just sold a month or so ago (or went back home)

TRhere just not showing up in bulk. comb the internet gun shops enough you will find something most of the common C&R surplus geared web vendors are generally not going to advertise them to heavy.

what are you looking for?

More specifically Smith and Wessons from, say, the 20s through the 60s. I've never seen one for sale as a C&R gun. Am I not looking in the right places or is there more to this? Plenty of Nagants, Webleys, and old Colts though.

I've seen a couple for sale, "Victory" models and others. They do seem to be more rare than say the old Police Positives

I got my 1943 S/W Victory .38 special from Patriot Arms in Ipswich a year ago. I've seen plenty of .38/200 Victorys on Gunbroker; .38 special is rarer.

My 1917 came from a Collectible Arms vendor. I can PM that if interested. The 1921 Colt Police Positive came off GunBoards. The 1906 Nagant came from another MilSurp supplier. The 1940 Enfield came off Gunboards.

T

Last edited:
The problem with these things is these aren't like nagants or something where some guy named Yevgeni keeps finding crates of them buried in a swamp somewhere and then sells them to CAI. So the supply of those guns isn't milsurpish like most C&Rs. Most of the stuff is already in collector hands at this point... which means the prices are fluffed and the guns circulation is limited.

-Mike

The problem with these things is these aren't like nagants or something where some guy named Yevgeni keeps finding crates of them buried in a swamp somewhere and then sells them to CAI.
[rofl] All good points; certainly makes sense. I'm not looking for anything in particular.

I have a bunch of them but other than 4 or 5 they are all Boston Police, I will have them at the Foxboro show this weekend.

Untitled%20attachment%2000356%20a_zps04gmq4a1.jpg

Untitled%20attachment%2000353%20a_zpsmuvoveqp.jpg

oh and they aren't for sale [rofl2]

I don't like to sell them, the extras I have I like to use to trade for other BPD guns, BUT I do sometimes sell a C&R BPD gun to a new collector who is trying to get into BPD collecting or Police collecting

I always thought an interesting collection would be Colt Police Positives or S&W Model 10's from various departments with a badge and patch from each department

I have a 1936 S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty. I have full documentation on the gun from S&W, including the original order/invoice from the Chief of Police. He ordered 6 of these for his officers and himself. Attached is a photo of them in the same year. I wish there was a way to locate the others, however serial numbers did not run consecutively on these.

Collecting Police guns is fun, the best thing is that while the outsides tend to be worn the bores are usually in great shape and you can take them to the range and shoot them!

I thought I would "wake up" this old thread. Here is a pic of my 1930's S&W 38-44 Heavy Duty with a box of original ammo. This model has an interesting history of why it was designed for law enforcement.

I know a gun store in Maine that has a S&W Victory for $500 if you want the info PM me.

That one came home with me; got it for $435. S/W letter gives it as an unmarked Navy Contract that was sent to Mare Island, CA, on July 7, 1943.

I also sold my 1921 Colt Police Positive in .38S/W and bought a 1914 Colt Police Positive Special (.38 special to replace it).

T

Last edited:
Are there any stores around Boston that specialize, or have on a somewhat regular basis C&R/Older military revolvers? Interested in picking up a French 1892, Nagant etc.

FS, Collectors, Patriot Arms all have some regularly. Just keep checking their websites

Back
Top Bottom