When were the bill makers not out to get us?

I haven't been a gun owner very long, but long enough to know that we are a minority in this fine country. It seems that around every corner there is another piece of legislation that would infringe on our rights. I just want to know, was it always like this, or has this been developing for a few decades. What made America turn into this anti-gun machine?

I think the final straw was the assination of the two Kennedy Brothers, and Martin Luther King.

As I recall, even here in Massachusetts, gun ownership was easy until the Gun Control Act of 1968 changed most of the rules.

Before that I could order guns from the magazines, shipped direct to my house with no license or problem. Even order them from the Sears catalog.

In 1935 there was radical changes in the law regarding Machine guns, and I'm sure shooters even then saw the slippery slope.

Last edited:
A minority...but a very large one nonetheless. One quarter of U.S. households contain at least one firearm. Even if 10% of all firearms owners turned out for elections and voted these ridiculous politicians out of office that is HUGE number. Enough to turn an election. Don't be discouraged.

I haven't been a gun owner very long, but long enough to know that we are a minority in this fine country. It seems that around every corner there is another piece of legislation that would infringe on our rights. I just want to know, was it always like this, or has this been developing for a few decades. What made America turn into this anti-gun machine?

When WWII ended, and half the men (many who were war heros) in this country brought back a firearm and started looking for ways to keep shooting (target, gun clubs, hunting, self protection), guns were a very accepted part of society. That also dovetailed nicely with the American revolution, and the importance of gun ownership in the establishment of our country--something taught in every school in the country.

Then as those WWII soldiers had familys, SOME of them introduced their kids to shooting sports, some did not.

Then those kids grew up to be parents, and SOME of them introduced their kids to shooting sports, some did not.

The group dynamics of the situation is that each generation, you get a smaller and smaller populace that is knowledgeable with shooting sports. At some point you get an equilibrium, which is probably around where we are now.

Also, along the way the guns started to get some very bad press. Thinks like Al Capone (bad guy) vs Elliot Ness (on the surface good guys, but guys who abused the constitution to further their agenda). Fast forward to today with nut jobs shooting innocent people, and we have a growing PR dissaster.

We tend to get the politicians we deserve! If most of Massachusetts voters are not involved in shooting sports, then they are going to not care if the elected politicians vote one way or the other.

Seems we:
1) have to do all we can to allow no further errosion of our gun rights
2) get a lot more young people into the sport, before it is too late. For instance, I think signining up every kid or adult friend you know to the basic hunter safety course is a good first start! I would like to see those classes overflowing with new young hunters (future voters) in the state!

Last edited:
I personally blame our increasingly convenient lifestyle. Used to be everyone had hunted or shot a gun at some point,either to put food on the table or in the military,and they learned to appreciate them. Now people struggle to make dinner if it isn't frozen and comes with directions.Most of these people haven't lived in real fear from the germans or russians or someone else and seem to have this idea that everyone can friends. Since to these people guns have no use other than killing (which is something they nor any human ever needs to do[rolleyes]_) that we should just get rid of them all.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings. Theres another one about inactivity spreading stupidity which fits better but I'm not sure of it.

sorry I went on a rant. Legislation-wise The shit really started to hit the fan in the 60s during the crimewave.

Long before those dates IMO.

One of the biggest FU by GOV was 1871 or in that time at least.

Another one was 1913 abouts and then again 1920 area.
These dates don't have to do with gun rights but other freedoms and usurpations.

1871 was when the United States broke its foundation and migrated out of Washington DC IE became a corporation and expanded its power and jurisdiction.

1913 was the 14th A and the 16thA, 1920 was when GOV started pressing the BC issue and started to suggest that men and women register their offspring with GOV.

There is a lot more but I'm tired and I somehow doubt that most of the people reading this really GAD anyhow.

Before 1934, 1968, 1986 and 1994.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom