• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When to register lower receiver

unless the lower was transferred at 4S. Their policy is an FA10 is filed with the transfer, even though they have no idea of Caliber, pistol or rifle, or barrel length [thinking]

This states still requires to refile another FA-10 once the lower "is capable of discharging" a round though, since it would then be considered "a rifle".

So let me get this straight....the FA-10 has all of the info about the gun on it, including serial #, and the owner's name address, ect......So that is as good as/is registration.....How long have you guys ben having to do this??

Since the Op asked about grandfathering the lower. It is my understanding that in the previous bans in order for the lower to be grandfathered it has to have been part of a complete rifle before the ban takes effect. So just owning a lower before the ban does you no good.

If you want to grandfather your lower now just slap on a friend's upper and take some pics of it "complete" on a newspaper showing both the date on the paper and the serial number on your lower. Then give your friend his upper back and go file the FA10. Keep the pics for yourself. If you want you can have then notarized but I don't think you have to. If down the line there was ever a question about your lower you can show the pics and just say you sold the upper assembly to "some guy". Since they are not regulated parts you are under no obligation to have records or receipts for what you did with the upper parts.

A smart tactic but the state is so fxxked up. I'll heed to MJR's advice.

So let me get this straight....the FA-10 has all of the info about the gun on it, including serial #, and the owner's name address, ect......So that is as good as/is registration.....How long have you guys ben having to do this??

Since 1968.

If you want to grandfather your lower now just slap on a friend's upper and take some pics of it "complete" on a newspaper showing both the date on the paper and the serial number on your lower. Then give your friend his upper back and go file the FA10. Keep the pics for yourself. If you want you can have then notarized but I don't think you have to. If down the line there was ever a question about your lower you can show the pics and just say you sold the upper assembly to "some guy". Since they are not regulated parts you are under no obligation to have records or receipts for what you did with the upper parts.

I don't think the newspaper thing will hold up. I have a bunch of old newspapers and could make my bushmaster a 1980 version if that was the case, I still have an old Polaroid instant too.

Back
Top Bottom