• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When to register lower receiver

So I am in the process of building a new ar and I am wondering when to register the gun via fa10e. I have yet to get a upper. Just completed the lower parts kit install and stock. When is it required to register it?

I believe the law is "when it's capable of firing a bullet".

Some other opinions may be:
- What lower?
- Immediately so it becomes pre-newban (ie. if they enact a new ban, you may want a legally owned lower before that time).

I believe the law is "when it's capable of firing a bullet".

Some other opinions may be:
- What lower?
- Immediately so it becomes pre-newban (ie. if they enact a new ban, you may want a legally owned lower before that time).

I like option A.

I complete the FA10 when I have a firearm. Under the definition(s) in MA law an upper or lower, by themselves, are not firearms. Until I mate the lower with an upper, I do not have a firearm, so there is nothing for me to register. IANAL, so take my advice for what you paid for it.

Kinda moot though isn't it? The two AK lowers I'm picking up next week from the GB are already gonna be "registered" once I do the FA-10 at the shop...
The way it was explained to me - by a dealer from this forum - the paperwork you fill out when you buy a stripped lower is Federal only. Mass does not consider it a firearm and is not interested in the sale. I had to sign a form agreeing to file a FA-10 as soon it was assembled and capable of firing a projectile. The form was not a legal document - just something the dealer kept in his files to show he had told me what I needed to do. Ely.

some dealers do just a nics check, others do the fa-10 as well. A frame is not a firearm until it is capable of discharging a round. Until then it is just an expensive paper weight.

Should be a 4473 only. If your dealer is running you through FA-10 for a stripped lower, edumacate him, or try another dealer. I know IDC does only4473, and advises you when to file the FA-10- "when it's capable of firing it's first shot"

Someone said "some dealers do just a nics check, others do the fa-10 as well."

Followed by, "Should be a 4473 only. If your dealer is running you through FA-10 for a stripped lower, edumacate him, or try another dealer."

I love this. I would ask the dealer, "What shall we put down for length?"

Kinda moot though isn't it? The two AK lowers I'm picking up next week from the GB are already gonna be "registered" once I do the FA-10 at the shop...

There won't be any fa-10s required... Your buying a stamped piece if steel ( I clarified this before the G.B.)

To the op: fa-10 it within 7 days of it being capable of firing a shoot.

unless the lower was transferred at 4S. Their policy is an FA10 is filed with the transfer, even though they have no idea of Caliber, pistol or rifle, or barrel length [thinking]

B&K (the FFL for the AK GB) does not do FA-10s for lowers, as it should be. A FYI - Four Seasons does FA-10s for stripped lowers (how my NES YHM GB came); they also registered it as 556 though it's marked MULTI. Barrel length was 0. A newly filed eFA-10 reflects a 16" barrel and "MULTI" for Caliber for the aforementioned YHM NES lowers.

What on earth is an "FA-10" It'd be nice if someone would post a good explanation of this. Is it a Mass state thing?

What on earth is an "FA-10" It'd be nice if someone would post a good explanation of this. Is it a Mass state thing?

It's a form us Ma**h***s have to file with the state whenever we sell or transfer a firearm.

I just bought a lower and my FFL made me do an FA-10. They put barrel length as 00 and caliber as multi. They asked me if it was going to be a rifle or pistol (AR). I said ummm, this one is going to be a rifle.

It's a form us Ma**h***s have to file with the state whenever we sell or transfer a firearm.

I just bought a lower and my FFL made me do an FA-10. They put barrel length as 00 and caliber as multi. They asked me if it was going to be a rifle or pistol (AR). I said ummm, this one is going to be a rifle.

Strange that they had you do a FA10 unless the lower has been part of a complete rifle before. I just bought a lower from a FFL 2 months ago. No Fa10 just the fed form since as stated before Ma does not consider a lower a firearm but the Fed does.

File the FA10 when the rifle is complete.

Since the Op asked about grandfathering the lower. It is my understanding that in the previous bans in order for the lower to be grandfathered it has to have been part of a complete rifle before the ban takes effect. So just owning a lower before the ban does you no good.

If you want to grandfather your lower now just slap on a friend's upper and take some pics of it "complete" on a newspaper showing both the date on the paper and the serial number on your lower. Then give your friend his upper back and go file the FA10. Keep the pics for yourself. If you want you can have then notarized but I don't think you have to. If down the line there was ever a question about your lower you can show the pics and just say you sold the upper assembly to "some guy". Since they are not regulated parts you are under no obligation to have records or receipts for what you did with the upper parts.

Back
Top Bottom