When Students Wear Holsters "IN PROTEST" . . .

HolsterLawrence357a.jpg
(*)

Pro-Gun Protests Take Aim

Group: Let Licensed Gun Owners Carry Weapons On Campus

Issue date: 10/11/07 Section: News
Michael Farfaglia

When students wear holsters on their belts next month, they will be protesting the law, not breaking it.

It's part of the "Empty Holster Protest," organized by the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) chapter at UConn, which aims to call attention to the 'gun-free-zone' around campus.

Chris Kopencey, a 3rd-semester political science major, and Andrew Dodson, a part-time student majoring in electrical engineering, have helped organize the protest to push for students already licensed in the state to be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus.

"Every school is a gun-free-zone, but it does not stop them [criminals] from bringing a gun on campus," said Kopencey.

Students will wear empty pistol holsters on their belts but will otherwise go to class as normal.

"We fully expect to have many people quite angry at the protest, but we hope to meet that with logical reasoning and sound judgment," said Kopencey.

Kopencey said the group has received opposition from Dean of Students Lee Williams.

"The University of Connecticut is our greatest opposition by far," said Kopencey. "She [the Dean] voiced her opposition in no uncertain terms to my ideas."

When asked about the protest, Williams responded via e-mail that university administrators have no control over the issue.

"The University is state property and as such, prohibits weapons being carried, concealed or not," said Williams. "This is a state statute, not a position."

The protest was inspired by the Virginia Tech massacre in April, in which a single student armed with two handguns killed 32 people before killing himself. The SCCC organizers believe that similarly armed students could have stopped the gunmen at some point during his killing spree.

"I believe firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens would have saved lives," said Kopencey. "Best case scenario, you have five cruisers coming to save you, how long is it going to take them to get there?"

However, he said he did not feel that firearm carriers should intentionally involve themselves in violent confrontations.

"Concealed carry is not about vigilantism, it's about protecting yourself and those around you," Kopencey said. "Fighting crime is for police officers."

When asked if concealed carry laws and the presence of firearms has saved lives in the past, both students were adamant.

"Absolutely, although it's not necessarily reported," said Dodson. "And in more than half of the cases, no shots are fired."

Dodson pointed to a National Self Defense Survey that indicated firearms were used in self-defense more than 2.5 million times per year from 1988 to 1993.

"The mere brandishing of a weapon can deter a criminal," he said.

"It's a deterrent more than anything else," said Kopencey. "If you're looking to rape someone in the woods, are you going to go after the girl that might have a gun on her?"

Dodson pointed to a similar shooting at the Appalachian School of Law in 2002, where a former student who had just killed two administrators and one student was disarmed and subdued by two students (who were off duty police officers), using handguns they had left in their vehicles because of the school's restrictions on concealed firearms.

"Criminals prey on the weak," said Kopencey. "Gun-free zones are a good example of that."

Despite the fact that SCCC is a political activist group, they are not tied to the National Rifle Association and are reluctant to advocate expanding the availability of firearms in general.

"This is not about giving 18, 19, 20-year-olds handguns on campus," said Dodson. "It's about letting those who have already gone through the process ... do so in the university setting."
(*)-PICTURE ADDED

Contact Michael Farfaglia at [email protected].

Last edited:
Things are starting to change for the better. Something like this would have been unheard of 20 years ago. It's a great idea.

B

I haven't really tried to advocate anything on my campus but I bought a few t-shirts from their website and will be participating. We'll see how the libby's in Mass handle this one.

Im currently a student at uconn and cant wait to participate if im back from studying abroad in time. I'm sure most of the students will be confused and/ or brush it off, but at least it will provoke a few of them to ask questions, and maybe a few can be educated...

This is by far the stupidest idea I've heard of by owners towards our cause.

First, it seems you are in the minority.

Second, please explain why this is by far the stupidest idea you've heard.

Third, suggest a different course of action instead.

I'm a little concerned about the suggestion that brandishing a weapon is a good idea...

"Dodson pointed to a National Self Defense Survey that indicated firearms were used in self-defense more than 2.5 million times per year from 1988 to 1993.

"The mere brandishing of a weapon can deter a criminal," he said."

Karen,

I'm no mind reader, but I think that I know where they get their "merely brandishing" statistics.

If a citizen is attacked and the citizen is able to draw their gun and the perp turns around and "beats feet" yelping like a whipped dog (thus citizen no longer has justification for shooting the retreating perp) . . . it gets added to the statistics of "+1 for merely brandishing".

Statistically correct, but a poor choice of words . . . since it implies an "illegal action" on the part or the citizen.

This was a great idea for an awareness protest!

+1 Weer'd Beard

I would love to see this take off and become a national protest to raise awareness and support for responsible gun ownership. If it does go national all the sheep who only get their opinions from the TV "news"[puke] they watch will finally get a chance to see some truth told about guns, gun ownership, and the true benefit to society it has and has had since the invention of the firearm.

This is by far the stupidest idea I've heard of by owners towards our cause.

You really need to explain this.

I think this is a GREAT idea and hope that more and more join in from other schools.

I think it is a great way to get more attention to the PROBLEM and make a statement.

I'm tired of gun owners "lying in the shadows". I think it is about time we ALL started showing our support.

a while back there was a thread about "Advertising gun ownership" on you cars or person (t-shirts) and I was a bit disheartened by everyone saying that it was a bad idea and olny lead to trouble...

well... i dissagree... I think it is about time we all started yelling from the roof tops that we are "Mad as hell and we are not going to take it any more" (ok, yes, getting a bit dramatic here, i agree)

But yes, more and more folks need to start to fight back in more vocal and visual way to the anti gun train that will steem roll us if we "stay in the shadows."

Good for them!

First, it seems you are in the minority.

Second, please explain why this is by far the stupidest idea you've heard.

Third, suggest a different course of action instead.

Bear with me as this is a pre-coffee response;

While it is good to see the firearms community unite for a cause, having us unite in that same matter as the old ACT-OUT routines that the Gay and Lesbian communities enacted years ago probably isn't the greatest idea; the entire lets get in your face method of rallying doesn't always work out for the protester against the mainstream.

We have something that is highly polarized being subject to the masses in a manner thats probably going to have nothing come out of it than negative press, possibly some trumped up charges on a few people, and a field day in the press from the 'look at what the gun nuts' are doing now crowd.

Its amazing that some many level headed people do not see that this and other events like this do not bring people to our side but rather turns them away.

It is also not inconceivable to consider that using such confrontational tactics will result in a slew of new laws across the land in the same manner that they popped up when a few dozen armed minorities showed up at a State Assembly session in Sacramento back on May 2, 1967. Check out the California and Washington state laws that followed that event.

We could accomplish so much more with actual letter writing, voting with our feet and dollars, and instead of spending money on bail for events like this and filling blogs with the self-righteous anger when the MSM and Soccer moms dont get the point; try set up shooting events and awareness campaigns to bring more to our hobby. Instead this is just going to give the Bradys and the Mayors Council years of ammunition because here we have a group acting just like they said. The key to overcoming this fight is education and not martyrdom or acting like the bunch of nuts that they do not want having guns in the first place.

While thats not to say that if we are not willing to get hassled for legal conduct in support of our rights, its not that far to say that if we do not also act within the legal framework of our system and the accepted social practices of our system we will see these efforts shot down in the same manner as the rights we are trying to save, because lets face once your rights start to invade and impair the rights of others...you tend to lose that right. Lets all go scream fire on theaters on that day instead.

sorry... I live in MASS.

Letter writting in Mass is like pissing on a forest fire. Those that run this state could give a shit less what we think. we have sen time and time again that it does not good.

The voting aspect doesnt work either... Unfortunately too many morons continue to re elect the same old a**h***s simply because they are too stupid or lazy to really look at where they stand.

It is about time we started using the same tactics as those anti gun groups and head them off, sort of speak.

sorry... I live in MASS.

Letter writting in Mass is like pissing on a forest fire. Those that run this state could give a shit less what we think. we have sen time and time again that it does not good.

The voting aspect doesnt work either... Unfortunately too many morons continue to re elect the same old a**h***s simply because they are too stupid or lazy to really look at where they stand.

It is about time we started using the same tactics as those anti gun groups and head them off, sort of speak.

+1 on that note

JPFO had some info about this at their site.

http://www.jpfo.org/alert20071011.htm

October 11, 2007

National "Empty Holster" Protest
EMPTY HOLSTER PROTEST

We recently received an email from one of our supporters, alerting us to a national "Empty Holster" protest taking place the week of October 22. Under protest are the state laws and campus policies that disarm law-abiding citizens on college campuses.

You can read more about the protest here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3989.html .

It seems as though students aren't the only ones who are _finally_ taking this idea seriously. In Oregon, a high school teacher is suing to take her pistol to work, out of fear of her ex-husband. You can read about here lawsuit here: http://www.nysun.com/article/64191

- The Liberty Crew

sorry... I live in MASS.

+1 on that note

Sorry you live in Mass is exactly why you should be writting letters. And I don't mean writing to Teddy; the man lost two brothers to firearms, we would all be fools to think an impassioned letter would change his viewpoints.

But you can write to your local Chiefs, Councils, and Boards You couldwrite letters to businesses letting them know that you appreciate their stances on the issue and letting them know you will support them in the future -or that you wont support them in the future. You can write your neighbor if you need to to let him know on such and such a date you and a few friends are sponsoring a pumpkin shoot education day. :) Mass needs grassroots from the bottom because its too top heavy.

It is also not inconceivable to consider that using such confrontational tactics will result in a slew of new laws across the land in the same manner that they popped up when a few dozen armed minorities showed up at a State Assembly session in Sacramento back on May 2, 1967. Check out the California and Washington state laws that followed that event.

Those people were carrying real guns, not empty
holsters. There's a considerable difference in the intensity of
such a statement being made there.

Last I knew carrying a chunk of leather on your person was
perfectly legal. If it isn't, or people get "trumped up" charges
then we're already a police state and basically f***ed as a
society. (If people get "arrested" for carrying an empty holster,
maybe we need to deal with that societal brain damage
first.... )

We could accomplish so much more with actual letter writing,

As Matt mentioned, in MA this is beyond worthless; and worse
yet people can just choose to stop reading. Whining in print
is useful in some cases, but theres nothing wrong with branching
out a bit. IMO this isn't much different than someone wearing
a tshirt with a slogan on it or a bumper sticker... it's oh so
extreme. [rolleyes]

voting with our feet and dollars, and instead of spending money on bail for events like this and filling blogs with the self-righteous anger when the MSM and Soccer moms dont get the point; try set up shooting events and awareness campaigns to bring more to our hobby.

Useful, but doesn't reach the mainstream very well.

Instead this is just going to give the Bradys and the Mayors Council years of ammunition because here we have a group acting just like they said.

Yeah, because carrying an empty holster is oh so threatening. If
they bitch about that then it only shows how screwed up THEY
are.

While thats not to say that if we are not willing to get hassled for legal conduct in support of our rights, its not that far to say that if we do not also act within the legal framework of our system and the accepted social practices of our system we will see these efforts shot down in the same manner as the rights we are trying to save, because lets face once your rights start to invade and impair the rights of others...you tend to lose that right. Lets all go scream fire on theaters on that day instead.

Couple of points-

Last I knew carrying a piece of leather is legal. I don't see how
it could be perceived as radical or threatening. (especially not
compared to the shit the gays and flaming liberals do in terms
of protesting.) Carrying holsters won't stop traffic, won't disrupt
anything in a major way, really. Further, the fact that random
people would be seen with the holsters might further drive home
the point that "normal" people support the right to keep and bear
arms.

The civil rights movement didn't get anywhere by sitting in the
back of the bus and quietly whining. It seems thats what gun
owners have subjected themselves to hiding in the shadows
out of fear, Are we such cowards that we can't be proud of
something that's a constitutional right, ya know, maybe once
in awhile, in some offhand way? Carrying an empty holster
is not even close to the same level of civil disobedience exhibited
in other movements.... no laws are being broken.

I can agree that in some cases battles must be picked
carefully but this particular one is worth fighting. I mean
what the hell are they going to do, say "Oh wait, that makes
too much sense! schtoppit!" [laugh]

-Mike

Bear with me as this is a pre-coffee response;

While it is good to see the firearms community unite for a cause, having us unite in that same matter as the old ACT-OUT routines that the Gay and Lesbian communities enacted years ago probably isn't the greatest idea; the entire lets get in your face method of rallying doesn't always work out for the protester against the mainstream....
I believe you have completely misread the nature of the event. From the article:
Students will wear empty pistol holsters on their belts but will otherwise go to class as normal.emphasis mine
There is no "rally", no "in your face" protests, no intent to break any laws, no civil disobedience. Any comparisons to "old ACT-OUT routines" is completely false.

This is planned to be a quiet, yet visible, statement of opposition to current oppressive and unconstitutional policies. How can that in any way reflect negatively on gun owners?

Please do write letters, but I believe the time is coming, and has come in places, to be more visible, without being belligerent (yet, hopefully never). Kudos to the organizers for coming up with such an idea.

I think it's a good way to make a statement.
I just told my son about this and he asked if he could use one of my holsters.

If I lived closer, I would strap my Blade Tech on (sans Model 65) and go for a walkabout of the campus commons.

National Collegiate empty holster protest days

This is interesting:

http://www.douva.com/sccc/press.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Scott Lewis – Media Coordinator
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
(512) 514-4373
[email protected]
http://www.ConcealedCampus.com

STUDENTS FOR CONCEALED CARRY ON CAMPUS (CONCEALEDCAMPUS.COM) ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE EMPTY HOLSTER PROTEST

During the week of October 22-26, 2007, college students throughout America, organized under the banner of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and campus policies that stack the odds in favor of armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens licensed to carry concealed handguns virtually everywhere else.

In 39 U.S. states, thousands of collegiate students and faculty—age 21 and above—are licensed to carry concealed handguns throughout their day-to-day lives. And they do so without incident. However, despite the absence of any compelling evidence that these licensed individuals would pose any more threat to college campuses than they currently do to office buildings, shopping malls, movie theaters, grocery stores, banks, etc., they are prohibited, either by state law or school policy, from carrying their firearms onto most college campuses.

On April 16, 2007, twenty-seven students and five faculty members at Virginia Tech lost their lives to a madman who possessed one distinct advantage over his victims—He wasn’t concerned with following the rules. Undeterred by Virginia Tech’s status as a “gun free zone,” this mentally unstable individual carried two handguns onto the university campus and indiscriminately opened fire.

In the last twenty years, the vast majority of the mass shootings in America—from the Texas Luby’s massacre to the Columbine High School massacre—have happened in “gun free zones.” Labeling an area “gun free” may make some people feel safer, but as the shootings at Virginia Tech taught us, feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing.

For over a year, state law in Utah has allowed licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns on college campuses. This has yet to result in a single act of violence. Numerous studies* by independent researchers and state agencies show that license holders are five times less likely than non-license holders to be arrested for violent crimes. Clearly, license holders pose little threat to college campuses.

There is a wide discrepancy between the intent of campus gun bans and the actual consequences of such bans. It is this discrepancy to which the students of SCCC hope their Empty Holster Protest will draw attention. While opponents may argue that guns have no place in institutions of higher learning, SCCC contends that it is the threat of uncontested, execution-style massacre that has no place in America’s colleges. The students of the Empty Holster Protest respectfully ask that steps be taken to take the advantage away from those who seek to harm the innocent.

For more information, contact Scott Lewis or visit www.ConcealedCampus.com.

*“Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns,” John Lott and David Mustard, Journal of Legal Studies (v.26, no.1, pages 1-68, January 1997); “An Analysis of The Arrest Rate Of Texas Concealed Handgun License Holders as Compared to the Arrest Rate of the Entire Texas Population,” William E. Sturdevant, September 1, 2000; Florida Department of Justice statistics, 1998; Florida Department of State, “Concealed Weapons/Firearms License Statistical Report,” 1998; Texas Department of Public Safety and the U.S. Census Bureau, reported in San Antonio Express-News, September, 2000; Texas Department of Corrections data, 1996-2000, compiled by the Texas State Rifle Association

ABOUT STUDENTS FOR CONCEALED CARRY ON CAMPUS - Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a national, non-partisan, grassroots organization comprised of college students, parents, and concerned citizens who believe that holders of concealed handgun licenses should enjoy the same rights on college campuses that current laws afford them virtually everywhere else. SCCC is dedicated to persuading state governments and school administrators to approve laws and campus policies that will grant all citizens with concealed handgun licenses the right to carry their concealed handguns on college campuses. We are not affiliated with the NRA, a political party, or any other organization.

# # #

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They can probably bar students from campus based on an "attire violation" or some other such nonsense.
The foxnews story had only a link to the brady site when i first saw this story early this morning. Only now, surely after some venomous words from pro gun readers are there links to the student groups website.

Back
Top Bottom