When I shot revolver, something stung me on the face. But nothing is visible on my face

Got a small nick on my face once firing semi-jacketed hollow point from my .357. Found the shard, but haven't had it happen since. So I guess, meh, it happens?

Oh, yeah. Backsplash definitely happens when shooting to a steel backstop. My mistake was, I think, supposing that everything I ever felt in that context was backsplash. Now I think some of it over time was backsplash, some wasn't. The stuff that cut me or left a mark was definitely backsplash, as one happened with a Ruger Mark II, and in the other case, I was minding my own business and had no line of sight to the semi-auto shooting in the next lane.

I almost spit my coffee out when I realized that you responded to my last sentence. " So I guess, meh, it happens?"

Look at the front of the cylinder in this photo and you will see flame coming out the sides. This is gas and you can get some un-burnt or burning powder as well.

As others have mentioned it’s the gap between the cylinder and barrel. It’s jyst part of shooting a wheel gun.

Attachments

• 1483565E-885F-4C23-850E-389B39CB3160.png
    1483565E-885F-4C23-850E-389B39CB3160.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 9
I've had that with powder. Super small fleck of burning powder flies back lands on face or arms. Nothing to worry about, but another of the infinite reasons to wear eye protection.
+1 on this. I have experienced it before as well

I once had a painfully hot stray in the face while working up some loads for a 30.06 Springfield rifle. It really stung for a few minutes. Glasses worked.
I checked the primer and found it had a blow out.

next time you're out with the revolver, drape a kleenex or napkin across the topstrap & see what happens when you take a shot ;)

The flash gap is obvious enough, I think.

MagTech240grJSP.jpg
What isn't obvious is that something emitted from it can fly directly to ones cheek when shooting the gun. Perhaps what is happening when it happens, which in my experience is only occasionally with a revolver in proper condition, is that a bit of something, unburned powder or a shard of copper, brass, or lead, is blasted out of the gap, bounces off the top strap, and then ricochets from there to the cheek.

Yesterday I shot revolver the first time. The revolver is Ruger LCR 38 Special, and the ammo is Magtech 38 Special.
This happened just once. The same moment a shot went out, I felt that something stung me on my face, on the right side. Then I did NOT feel anything lasting, and my friends at the range could not see anything abnormal on my face. Now 24 hours have passed, I do not feel anything abnormal in any way.
Anybody else have this experience?

I have shot semi-automatic 9mm pistols for at least 500 rounds, with a dozen different brands of ammo. I have never experienced this stinging feeling.

Get your affairs in order your going to die in 3 days time..

In all seriousness how is this 2 pages. It could be anything. Something hit your face.. but your fine... make a thread?

[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom