What's your take on Veteran's plates?

Where would the state get the money to adequately fund them? Maybe the state should give them free cars along with that registration. Maybe non vets should have a vet tax on their car registrations so they can pay for new cars for vets. We can also have a vet tax on our houses to pay for houses for vets. Verizon/ATT/Sprint could charge a vet tax so vets get free cell phones, too.

No, they shouldn't give them free cars, but can we keep paying for the wheelchair vans that take them to the VA hospital to learn how to walk with their new prosthetic legs?

How about the guys we sent to Southeast Asia for a year to live in the mud and pick up pieces of their buddies? I'd be willing to give one of them the apartment that Obama's aunt gets in Southie.

As far as cell phones go, you should really just donate yours to the next Vet you meet because your head is so far up your ass that you probably don't get good reception anyway.

With all of the money this country spends on housing, tuition and welfare for illegal aliens,and the billions on foreign aid to countries that would nuke us all if they could, I think the least we can do is cover a vets registration costs.

I don't have Vet plates on my truck. It is a commercial vehicle, company owned, but there is an Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the rear window.

Woah, settle down.

My post definitely came off more a**h***y than I intended. We're all, "no free handouts, blah blah blah," but now vets should arbitrarily get free car registrations. Provide better VA care? Sure, that makes sense. WTF do car registrations have to do with anything?

Woah, settle down.

My post definitely came off more a**h***y than I intended. We're all, "no free handouts, blah blah blah," but now vets should arbitrarily get free car registrations. Provide better VA care? Sure, that makes sense. WTF do car registrations have to do with anything?

And I concede that my response many have been uncharacteristically harsh, but with all due respect, anything this country gives to it's Veterans is not a free handout, but was earned, regardless of MOS or Station.
I shouldn't have said that you have your head in your ass, and apologize for it. However, I ask you to consider who is more deserving of taxpayer dollars. Veterans or foreign aid recipients in Egypt etc etc.
You are entitled to your point of view, I just disagree with it

First, I apologize, too. I recognize the courage it takes to sign up for service, especially during war time. I didn't mean any disrespect. (please tell the 3 ghillie suits i spotted in my backyard to stand down)

anything this country gives to it's Veterans is not a free handout, but was earned, regardless of MOS or Station.

Eh, nevermind. I've tried writing this paragraph like 5 times. I can't understand because I never served. I know that non-drafted soldiers willingly signed a contract with uncle sam. In return for putting their lives on the line, the gov't would give them such and such benefits. If the original contract didn't include free car registrations, not sure why we should do that now. I know VA care is lacking and believe more money should be put there.

I think fencer's point might be anything we give veterans for free is more deserved than what we currently give deadbeats for free..... where are vet EBT cards? vet Obama cars or vet Obama phones?

A lot of states waive registration fees for purple heart recipients.... Which is as far as I think that should go. Not ALL vets earned something. I know plenty of shit heads in the service. I know someone rocking vet plates who was in for less than a year and dropped out because of weight. It should be free registration for prior hearts, CIBs, CABs, CMBs, and silver stars or above. Cut the pool down a bit.

As for the plates.... This past summer with my motorcycle.... Well... If it wasn't for those plates.... I wouldn't have a license. That's for sure lol

A lot of states waive registration fees for purple heart recipients.... Which is as far as I think that should go. Not ALL vets earned something. I know plenty of shit heads in the service. I know someone rocking vet plates who was in for less than a year and dropped out because of weight. It should be free registration for prior hearts, CIBs, CABs, CMBs, and silver stars or above. Cut the pool down a bit.

As for the plates.... This past summer with my motorcycle.... Well... If it wasn't for those plates.... I wouldn't have a license. That's for sure lol

I definitely agree on having more specific requirements, such as having some sort of combat action identifier such as CIB, CAB, ETC... Veteran, to me, is a person who had to, at one point or another, put their life in some sort of danger, to accomplish a mission of tactical value. This being said, it applies mostly to any one who is "boots on ground". If someone were to get Veteran plates, without meeting my personal criteria, I would call them a fraud, and give them a good dose of "Military Persuasion" via "Shower Party"

Of course it will help with tickets and such...but that shouldn't be something to rely on, let alone something you shoudln't be doing, within reason of course[smile]. Just stay safe for the rest of us other veteran please.

I'm safe as I can be on a sports bike... But late at night... Dead highway. I've been known to open it up..... I know the risks and accept what can happen... But how many people Can say they've seen 170mph. Statie.cut me loose after tagging me at 150+ I was shocked. It's not why I got the pates, but it was a nice bonus

I don't ever feel entitled to anything free or discounted as a vet, but I do recognize it as a nice gesture when offered.

As far as who is a "real" vet as some seem to be debating, I believe it is all who served honorably. I was in service for nearly 20 years before anyone shot at me, but I think my time spent on humanitarian deployments, disaster relied efforts and time spent aiway from my family training all the while being in the position to be put in harm's way at a moment's notice qualifies me as a veteran long before I ever got shot at.

I got the plates. I enlisted during Viet Nam era. 50/50 chance on ending up in southeast Asia. I was never sent to where the action was but my amphib ship did sail there in 1969 after I was discharged in 1968. Never came close to combat but as some of you know, there are inherent, constant dangerous conditions on board any U.S. warship.

I got the plates. I enlisted during Viet Nam era. 50/50 chance on ending up in southeast Asia. I was never sent to where the action was but my amphib ship did sail there in 1969 after I was discharged in 1968. Never came close to combat but as some of you know, there are inherent, constant dangerous conditions on board any U.S. warship.

Especially in the showers, or if you look really good in your bell bottoms. [rofl]

Especially in the showers, or if you look really good in your bell bottoms. [rofl]

I hope you're laughing out of your ass. We had some very hairy rides out there as well as serious fire in the engine room while underway and almost lost half a dozen sailors who had to go into that fire with OBAs (oxygen breathing apparatus) on. They heroically saved the ship.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is just broken but it just wasn't funny.

Last edited:
I definitely agree on having more specific requirements, such as having some sort of combat action identifier such as CIB, CAB, ETC... Veteran, to me, is a person who had to, at one point or another, put their life in some sort of danger, to accomplish a mission of tactical value. This being said, it applies mostly to any one who is "boots on ground". If someone were to get Veteran plates, without meeting my personal criteria, I would call them a fraud, and give them a good dose of "Military Persuasion" via "Shower Party"

Of course it will help with tickets and such...but that shouldn't be something to rely on, let alone something you shoudln't be doing, within reason of course[smile]. Just stay safe for the rest of us other veteran please.

I have veteran's plates and I was never "down range." Come on over.

I also went to school on the GI bill but wasn't infantry and bought a house with a VA loan. I'm clearly a fraud in need of a shower party.

I have veteran's plates and I was never "down range." Come on over.

I also went to school on the GI bill but wasn't infantry and bought a house with a VA loan. I'm clearly a fraud in need of a shower party.

Suppose I'm a fraud too, maybe we can all get together and hash it out.

Joined 10/29. Not a member. 8 posts in four threads. 2 of them "in" to karma that requires being green. The others here "defining" veteran and pissing on members.
Nothing in profile about you.

You have a promising future

e7ehumuv.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As the quote goes....."A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

You served, you earned the plates. Get them if you want.

That

I got them for my POV last week. With all the other vanity plates around it doesn't seem like a big deal, but now I can high five the other vets I see.

I served 27 years active, then reserve. Activated twice after 9/11. Never shot at, but did spend several Thanksgivings, Easters and Christmasses away from wife and kids in a foriegn country on TDY.

Proud to display me VETERANS plates!

I've had veteran's plates for years, and while Im not looking for a pat on the back, i suppose people do notice them from time to time and hopefully are reminded of veteran's service in general. We veterans like to bust each others chops over who is more of a veteran than the other, but if you served during war, i say get the plates and be proud of your service.

I support the idea that the plates should be FREE for veterans, along with things like FREE hunting and fishing licenses. These fees dont add up to much given the number of veterans out there, but would make a nice gesture toward the folks that served for us. Also while on the subject, as far as I am concerned, any veteran who has a severe service connected injury (lost a limb or eyesight etc) should NEVER have to pay ANY taxes again.

I have V plates on one of my cars. I went to get one to put on my motor-home and was told I couldn't do it at the Taunton registry office.

The RMV website says very plainly:

"Veterans' are eligible for one (1) set of plates for each vehicle registered in his or her name."

I showed them a printout of the webpage but they didn't care. They can be on trucks, mc's, etc they said, but it doesn't say they can go on Motor-homes. I asked if it said they couldn't be on a MH and was told no, it doesn't. Then issue me a plate, I said. Nope, can't do it.

I'll go to Plymouth. I bet I get a different result.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind if I make a comment and give perspective from someone who's worked closely with veterans and warfighters for most of my career:

The majority of my professional career was spent working as an engineer at NAVAIR China Lake working on the weapons systems that your kids will use if they join the Navy / USMC when they grow up. Did that until we moved here to NH. My wife worked on current weapons systems and took several trips out to the fleet in places like the Persian Gulf to troubleshoot fleet assets. Lots of friends (fellow civilian engineers) went out to the desert to support units out there. Pretty much everybody out there where we worked was a veteran or a Navy employee. Everybody else was a contractor.

I need to get a USN decal to show my Navy pride, but...

Get your plates if you're a veteran please! I love seeing the number of veterans plates driving around. Makes me feel at home! So don't be embarrassed or don't think you didn't earn them if that's what's holding you back.

Last edited:
i've been rocking them since i registered and insured my car(s) in MA in 2004. [laugh] it's more a pride thing for me.

plus, when i see other vets, i just give the nod. [wink]

I had a similar experience. Went with the wife to Manchester for a day and walked around. When I came back a few hours later, every car on my side of the street had been ticketed but mine. Parking for more than 2 hours or some BS. I know the car in front of me had not been there when I pulled in also. Not the reason I got the plates, but I'm not complaining.
I came back to my shop one day to find a car parked in my reserved spot (clearly marked). I was grabbing my cell phone to have it towed and I noticed it had vet plates. I left him a note instead.

Got a V plate as soon as I could. It pisses me off that in NH you pay more, but whatever. You can see the YARM8E around the greater Nashua area...,

sent from the Times Two Tavern via Nexus 7

Purple Heart vet plates.

Discounted excise tax, free plates, free registration/title. Not to be cheap, but thats why I have them.

That's why I have them... to be cheap.... it's nice not having to pay the extra fees... even tho its not too much. But I didn't know it got a discount on the excise tax. I'll have to look at that.

Back
Top Bottom