Whats your plan?

DO you have a plan for situations like yesterday?

My husband and I have plans for when we go into Boston, what order we walk, where our son is in that situation, if we perceive a threat (all of a sudden on a street we aren't comfortable with, darkness falling, etc).

When we go to large events we usually stay together but designate a place to go if we get separated.

Honestly, never thought about what we would do if a bomb exploded and we were separated, even if it's just across the street like in Boston yesterday.

Had a client who left work from that area but had to leave her car.

So what plan do you have or what will you add/change?

I don't go into Boston unless I have absolutely zero choice in the matter. Over the past 16 years That averages out to maybe one time per year. I sure as hell wouldn't go into town on the day of the marathon.

I'm crazy, not stupid.

Sometimes you've got to just roll with the punches. I was working a security gig a block down on Boylston when the explosions went off. A soon as the evac was ordered we cleared out towards Beacon. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to grab my bag containing my first aid kit, radio scanner, change of clothes, water, spare radio batteries, and cell charger. Luckily my office was near by so I just headed back and made it to a land line. If I was out there with family, I definitely would plan on meeting up at a designated location if separated. Cheep two-ways aren't a bad idea for large events either, although channel overcrowding may be a potential issue.

I don't go into Boston unless I have absolutely zero choice in the matter. Over the past 16 years That averages out to maybe one time per year. I sure as hell wouldn't go into town on the day of the marathon. I'm crazy, not stupid.

That's either sheep mentality, or down right ignorant. You act like Boston is the DMZ, as opposed to one of the safest cities in the country. I don't let the actions of a few madmen dictate my life or cause me to live in fear. I love Boston, and Patriot's Day is my favorite holiday of the year. Nothing is going to stop me from coming in and enjoying the city, especially to watch the race, and I hope to run the race next year.

That's either sheep mentality, or down right ignorant. You act like Boston is the DMZ, as opposed to one of the safest cities in the country. I don't let the actions of a few madmen dictate my life or cause me to live in fear. I love Boston, and Patriot's Day is my favorite holiday of the year. Nothing is going to stop me from coming in and enjoying the city, especially to watch the race, and I hope to run the race next year.

I simply DON'T LIKE BOSTON... I don't like NYC either. I don't like big cities and their concrete and steel forests. I get claustrophobic whenever I'm in those areas. I'm fine everywhere else, even elevators, but those parts of Boston are not for me. Besides, there's pretty much nothing going on in Boston that could draw me in. I also don't like being in large crowds.

You thinking that my reasons are 'either sheep mentality, or down right ignorant.' is in itself ignorant and asinine. I don't call you names for going into bean town. So don't be a dick.

I try to always have a plan. Every building I go into, every room I'm in. I cant sit in any room where I can't see the entrance or exits. My wife thinks I'm paranoid, I think (or like to think) I'm prepared. I would rather watch the game from home than sit with 30K strangers, too many people and it only takes one nut job to ruin my day!

I don't go into Boston unless I have absolutely zero choice in the matter. Over the past 16 years That averages out to maybe one time per year. I sure as hell wouldn't go into town on the day of the marathon.

I used to love to go into Boston, but it's no longer true and now it is like pulling teeth to convince me to go into the heart of Boston (and my average is much less than once/year). When Mumbles changed parking meters to 8PM instead of 6PM that was the nail in the coffin for me. Parking is a major, major issue and garages are terrible for major events as you eat exhaust fumes for an hour trying to get out. On foot assuming you take public transportation, Boston is fine, but if you don't live on a suburban subway line, getting in/out via commuter rail other than rush hours is spotty at best.

As for the Marathon, I started going there (to the finish line) back when I was at NU, but we had parking lots back then and I never had a problem with where to put my car. The lots are all gone now, replaced with expensive garages (and see above). But the last time I did go to the finish line, the mobs of drunks spilling drinks on people and acting obnoxiously was the end for me (long before the parking situation I related above).

I worked it in Hopkinton for a number of years as one of hundreds of volunteer POs (our only pay was lunch sponsored by Hopkinton PD) and after our PD no longer sent us there, we went to Heartbreak Hill (Cousin lived nearby) or by BC. Nowadays my Wife works for a major hospital conglomerate and it's just another day of work for her.

Not all of us avoid it due to fear of injury. If my Wife had the day off, we'd most probably be camped out near BC to watch the race. I'll admit that this was the first year I can remember that I didn't turn the TV/radio on at all and had no clue what happened until my Wife called me at 4PM yesterday. She was at work only ~2 blocks from the explosions (and heard them from her office). I told her to get out and not wait to be told it was "OK" to leave early. She made it home (commuter rail) safe and sound, thank G_d! As I told her today, if anything seems amiss, just get out of the City and then call me.

Last edited:
Anyone using FRS radios yesterday? Work OK? I'm told they don't work well among tall buildings, but we've been able to talk up to a mile in town at times.

Boston Marathon bombings raise speculation about home-grown terrorism - Metro - The Boston Globe

I'm crazy, not stupid.

So, is your answer "No," or "Abstinence?"

Boston would be a terrific place without the public sporting events, 200,000 plus college students, tens of thousands of commuters, and 18 million tourists a year. But it wouldn't be modern Boston, which we really enjoy living in - possibly because we don't have to. Like anywhere else, there are vexations.

In 1950, about 30% of the world's residents lived in cities. By 2050, it will be 70%. Today 79% of the U.S. population lives in urban areas. For most people in the Northeast, there isn't going to be anyplace to "bug out" to.

Urban survival planning is fun and easy! As far as specifics go, my wife and kids are trained to hit the ground if they hear any booms, and to count to 10 before looking up. I seriously doubt they would do it, I believe curiosity would get the better of them.

My 13yo already knows her way around the subway and bus system, and simply walked home the last time she got held up by schedules - not really an option for out-of-towners. .We've also sent them to classes on identifying threatening environments and threatening people, and mostly to be aware of their surroundings. 90% of the young women and 50% of the guys walking down the street are watching their palm and listening to their headphones. Most of their classes have been about situational awareness.

There's one thing that I almost never see mentioned - ask for help. The vast majority of people anywhere are good souls and there's no substitute for local knowledge.A couple of examples.

• A portion of the Green line was shut down. The Red and Blue lines to my knowledge never shut don at all. Ask a local and they would have directed you to Park Station, and the Red Line goes from Arlington/Cambridge line all the way south to Braintree.
  • There are huge parking garages downtown. Taking the Commons garage for example, if you went to the pay station and held up a sign that said "Need a ride to xxxxx" bet you woudln't have more than a 15 minute wait - most commuters come into town with empty cars.
  • There are 100 Hubway rental bike locations with over 1,000 bikes in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, and Somerville. Bring it back a day later and it would cost you $100 - the best $100 you ever spent, possibly.
  • There are commuter boats and water taxis that run all over Boston Harbor and to the South Shore. You can take a water taxi to Logan, then take a NH state subsidized bus ride to Manchester, NH.

Survival isn't about a tool kit, it's a mind set.

Last edited:
I have a love/hate relationship with the city. I don't really like going into town, but I work there, and my wire loves it, so I deal with it. I ride the train, and try to be situationally aware, but you have to resign yourself, to a degree, to the fact that you can't stop everything bad.

So, if the trains aren't running, the plan is to walk the tracks out as far as possible until I'm near my house. I figure it will be less traveled than the Mass Pike, surface roads, etc, and if things lighten up I can always jump over to rt 135.

I have basic first aid, comm, and similar, but could use a few more things, like food and water.

Like garandman says, most people will help you - at least until things go completely sideways - So it's really about knowing how to get where you need to be from where you are.

My plan isn't very exciting. It gets more exciting if the city isn't safe and I need to select alternative routes from Boston to Metrowest.

/
So, if the trains aren't running, the plan is to walk the tracks out as far as possible until I'm near my house. I figure it will be less traveled than the Mass Pike, surface roads, etc, and if things lighten up I can always jump over to rt 135.
/
I'd take the bike path, myself.

I try to avoid going into Boston as much as possible (like others here have also mentioned). That includes doing work projects and/or even watching sporting events - within the general area.

Yeah, the tracks are just the straightest path out with the least likelihood of throngs of people. I'm not sure which oath you mean, but the one along the Charles would add miles.
Get a bike map.

Several of the bike paths into Boston are former rail lines. I'd think there would be all sorts of security issues along a train track. It's difficult for a bicyclist to attack you. A motorcycle on a bike path would probably be the fastest way out of post-apocalyptic anywhere.

I hate crowds and cities. I grew up in Brighton and Watertwon and when I was younger it was fun. Now that I'm older with a family the more rural the better. I go to Boston only when I absolutely have to. Potential terrorist attacks has nothing to do with my avoidance of that cesspool.

I'm usually situationally aware in my day to day activities, but not to the point of paranoia.

I hate crowds and cities. I grew up in Brighton and Watertwon and when I was younger it was fun. Now that I'm older with a family the more rural the better. I go to Boston only when I absolutely have to. Potential terrorist attacks has nothing to do with my avoidance of that cesspool.

I'm usually situationally aware in my day to day activities, but not to the point of paranoia.
You hate cities so you moved to Nashua? Allrighty then! [laugh]

I have a love/hate relationship with the city. I don't really like going into town, but I work there, and my wire loves it, so I deal with it. I ride the train, and try to be situationally aware, but you have to resign yourself, to a degree, to the fact that you can't stop everything bad.

Just announced on BPD radio to check train tracks to insure Suspect #2 is not escaping by train... Seems pretty channelized to me.

Last edited:

Population of Nashua, NH: ~88,000 over 31.8 sq. miles about 2700 people per square mile
Population of Boston, MA: >625,000 over 89.6 sq miles; almost 7000 people per square mile

You really cannot compare Nashua with Boston.

BTW, the entire population of NH (1,320,718 as of July 2012) is about double (~2.11x) the population of just Boston. IF you ever went into Nashua, you'd see the big differences between it and Boston.

Just announced on BPD radio to check train tracks to insure Suspect #2 is not escaping by train... Seems pretty channelized to me.

As Golddiggie said, Nashua is a far cry from being like real city. Nashua was my first step. When we moved up here I still had to stay where the jobs were. My next home when my youngest graduates high school will be much further up north, and not Manchester or Concord.

As Golddiggie said, Nashua is a far cry from being like real city. Nashua was my first step. When we moved up here I still had to stay where the jobs were. My next home when my youngest graduates high school will be much further up north, and not Manchester or Concord.
"Nashua SRT/HDU now in Boston."

I think Concord is an awesome place. Manchester - really?

Last edited:
I simply DON'T LIKE BOSTON... I don't like NYC either. I don't like big cities and their concrete and steel forests. I get claustrophobic whenever I'm in those areas. I'm fine everywhere else, even elevators, but those parts of Boston are not for me. Besides, there's pretty much nothing going on in Boston that could draw me in. I also don't like being in large crowds.

You thinking that my reasons are 'either sheep mentality, or down right ignorant.' is in itself ignorant and asinine. I don't call you names for going into bean town. So don't be a dick.

I hear you, and agree. Although, for me, once a year would still be too much. We were scheduled to fly from Boston on April 20, a day after that thing with the terrorists went down. I'll tell you what, Fri night, my stress level was through the roof! It did all work out no problem, but I've had my fill for a couple years! My buddy drives a gas tanker down in that area every day. I do not know how he does it.....

Having a plan for Boston is not accurate. You need a general plan for any city. IMHO you need to know what to do if you have no map, no transportation in unfamiliar places. General guidelines for any situation and that knowledge should be understood by all family members and followed individually or as a group.
My ½ cent

Back
Top Bottom