• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats your favorite antique or old gun in your collection?

Thanks, Sterg! Here's my "hand-me-down-shotguns" family picture. From top to bottom...

Winchester Model 12, 12ga with great-grandfather's name engraved on action, built 1942
Winchester Model 12, 16ga (s/n is close to the 12ga, so I believe they were purchased about the same time)
Winchester Model 1897, 12ga. Needs repair, provenance and build date unk.
Lefever Long Range Field & Trap Gun, 16ga. Built 1927, this was my great-grandmother's
Harrington & Richardson Arms, 12ga. Patents stamped 1900 and 1901. Build year unknown, probably also one of my great-grandmother's

504b32564f33a2bbbad3967d59b11796_zps047f1438.jpg
30, the third one down, the model 1897 does it for me. That thing is great with the sharp stock.

30, the third one down, the model 1897 does it for me. That thing is great with the sharp stock.
Thanks, it is gorgeous for its age. Unfortunately needs repair. I'm thinking of taking it, along with an oddball pump rifle I inherited, over to Sergey at Rustbluing to see if he thinks it worthwhile to work his gunsmithing magic on them.

My Ruger Bearcat. Given to me the day I was born by my Grandfather. I have used the hell out of it and still do. I have a picture somewhere of me in the "crib" at the hospital ( yes at the hospital ) with me holding well one hand wrapped around the barrel the day I came into the world.

bearcat_zps14ce415a.jpg

Now that's a great story, and what a legacy!

My Ruger Bearcat. Given to me the day I was born by my Grandfather. I have used the hell out of it and still do. I have a picture somewhere of me in the "crib" at the hospital ( yes at the hospital ) with me holding well one hand wrapped around the barrel the day I came into the world.

bearcat_zps14ce415a.jpg

good old Enfield I got two of them. Still use one of them for deer hunting believe it or not. Mostly I use my Larue .308 but for nostalgia I like to take out the Enfield. Oh they are 1949 and a 1943 the 43 is in better condition than the 49 actually.

Thanks, it is gorgeous for its age. Unfortunately needs repair. I'm thinking of taking it, along with an oddball pump rifle I inherited, over to Sergey at Rustbluing to see if he thinks it worthwhile to work his gunsmithing magic on them.

It would be worth it. The patina is incredible.

- - - Updated - - -

Remington New Model. It's been handed down through the family since the Civil War and I got it a year or two ago. We aren't sure exactly sure which relative owned it first since we had a few who fought but eventually will look into it more. The last few family members who owned it didn't take great care of it (there is some rust in the cylinder) but eventually I want to get a modern reproduction so I can see what it was like to shoot one.

IMG_20130521_181659.jpg

Remington New Model. It's been handed down through the family since the Civil War and I got it a year or two ago. We aren't sure exactly sure which relative owned it first since we had a few who fought but eventually will look into it more. The last few family members who owned it didn't take great care of it (there is some rust in the cylinder) but eventually I want to get a modern reproduction so I can see what it was like to shoot one.

View attachment 67316
Great revolver

Dropped them off today. Turns out the rifle is a turn-of-the-century Colt Lightning Rifle in .32-20!
Ted, post them up when they're done please. Great guns in this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom