What's up with GOAL?

It's not just kids. Don't forget that we need to get the Mom's of these kids on board as well.

Many studies show that it's the Mom that will give the final say on what sports kids will get into. If you can't win over the Mom, you're going to have a hard time getting kids into the sport.

VERY true.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what they should do to magically make laws disappear. I do think that they should at the very least put more effort into changing the laws that are on the books, and informing the membership of their efforts to change THOSE laws. Not just putting out a feel good story about how the Katrina bill was passed up but it's okay because we're going to file it again next term!

I'd like to get the GOAL mailing and read what they have filed for legislation (like they already do) what they are working on, what they are brainstorming, etc.

I don't need to read about little timmy winning a rimfire match in middleofnowhere Mass. I want to know what they're doing to get rid of all the facets of Mass gun law that every one of us hates and knows is unconstitutional. Even if that means they write "We sat around on our butts and threw darts at a copy of MGLA."

It's hard for me to believe my membership dues were well spent when all they tell me about is that they're filing bills that already have laws, or they're going to submit the same bill again over and over.

How about a story on how they've asked the NRA for help taking on the legislation on safe storage laws in MA, or the MA AWB, or illegal licensing practices? Something to show that they're working on what NEEDS to get done instead of just extras.

If you're a GOAL member and not getting their emails or The Outdoor Message, follow up with them. I get them regularly as do most of us if you read through our posts.

If you think you have all the answers and can do it better than GOAL then by all means - start your own group, recruit members and put your money where your mouth is and show 'em (and us!) how it's done.

As an alternative, take Cross-X's advice and volunteer with GOAL, share your fresh insights and suggestions, more people working together are better for us.

If all you're going to do is complain without offering any suggestions or ideas, you're simply part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall, it was the now defunct MA dealers association that fought the AG regulations (as the regulations solely target the dealers) There was a deadline to file some motion that came and went. Since nothing was filed, the matter is forever untouchable by those that it directly impacts.

GOAL was founded by combining a bunch of smaller organizations in 1974 to combat the ballot question that year which would have enacted a statewide ban on handguns.

Regardless of the results of this year's legislative push, GOAL's history alone is worth supporting. Just imagine having NO handguns at all.

And I'm not just a director, I'm also a life member.

Seriously, if you don't like what you see - GET INVOLVED!

I'd love to be more active. However, I currently have two young kids that take a lot of my time, but I still make the effort to do a few major things every year. AND, I continuously stay in touch with my local senator and representative on ALL matter, not just guns. Nothing huge, just a quick e-mail every so often to thank them for their position on whatever or to express my position. I do this so that when the gun stuff DOES come up, my comments carry a little history and respect.

Jim does this 'press the flesh' every day. Most of the legislators KNOW full well what is going on in regards to the gun bills. The question is if the pressure of doing the right thing or the pressure of toeing the political line is the better choice. The more voices a rep hears, the more the scales tip to the 'right thing'.

You would be amazed at how few voices it really takes to tip the scales. Few people are 'regulars'. Fewer still of those are reasonable and coherent thinking people that make good arguments on topics of all kinds. If you only comment on the gun issue, you can easily be filed as a "Gun Nut". If you are known to cover all kind of issues, you can be filed as "a voter".

How long does it take to send 2 e-mails a week or even every other week just letting your reps know your position on whatever topics are hot at the moment? Takes me about 20 minutes to compose and send the two messages.

If every MA resident who has more than 100 posts on this forum did the same thing, this group would EASILY represent the largest single voice that the people on Beacon Hill hear from regularly.

That, my friends is political POWER.

If you are not on a first name basis with your rep and senator, get writing. Doesn't have to be anything serious. Just a quick intro. You don't even have to mention your positions in the first letter. Just who you are, what you do, and the fact that you have concerns and want to start a regular dialog. THEN, keep with it. Every week or two make the effort.

Once this is established, you can inject your concerns as they arise and when the gun issues become hot, you can mention you are a shooter and voice your concerns.

The time to start is TODAY. Right now. Just do it.

If you are not a part of the solution, you ARE the problem.

One issue with GOAL I have (and yes, I am a member) is you need to get a membership to get on the mailing list. At least at one point because I tried to get a friend on the mailing list. That I think is a mistake. It removes the first link in a chain one needs to build before most will donate money. You need to have a graduated hierarchy of people you can contact. There may be plenty of people who are willing to write the letters, etc but don't want the membership, at least not right away. I am not suggesting having donors broken out like politicians do where some donors are made to feel inadequate is the way to go. Nor do I think $30 a year is huge, but drawing them in slowly has it's advantages. On every page on the site should be a direct link to a specific set of instructions for getting one onto that list. Right now it redirects to the contact page.

When the goal of GOAL is to influence politicians, those letters and contacts can make a difference, even if GOALs membership numbers are x, those non-members doing some leg work have an impact.

That I think is a mistake. It removes the first link in a chain one needs to build before most will donate money.
I'm sure I am not alone in not accepting on faith that someone will do as they say... So, those just coming into the political side of gun ownership should be encouraged rather then told "donate or shut up"...

I am sure I am not alone in preferring to look at lobby organizations actions to speak louder than their words in deciding where best to apply my money and time to assist....

How long does it take to send 2 e-mails a week or even every other week just letting your reps know your position on whatever topics are hot at the moment? Takes me about 20 minutes to compose and send the two messages.

Great idea. What are the hot topics on Beacon Hill right now??? If I watch the evening news I will see how Britney flashed her muff to the world and crap about something that happened 1000 miles away because the evening news can be bothered to produce independent content. None of that is important to the tards on Beacon Hill. I think this is a great idea and if someone could feed us a list of hot topics and tell us exactly what is the hot topic dujour today, some of us would. I would even be happy to organize a thread here to do it. I just have no idea what those tards actually care about or what is going on. Combine that with the thing I said about the GOAL mailing list, and you see the mass communication issues I think GOAL has. This is not to say that Jim is not a great personal communicator, but as an org mass communication is not a strong point.

In years past, I might have agreed more. However, in the day of e-mail blasts and forums, anyone can find out what is going on.

Everything that is e-mailed is available on GOAL's website. If they don't want to pony up the $$ to join and get a personal message, they can go to the site and read up.

I'm sorry if some people need their hand held to guide them to protect their own rights, but it is not the charter of GOAL to provide information to those that won't help themselves.

What topics?

My note last week spoke on 3 issues:

1) A welcome to both reps as both my senator and representative changed this past election.

2) Concern that state funds would be allocated to allow the Governor to travel to Washington DC this week for what is a political junket and not official business.

3) Burden of budget issues placed on only some drivers via tolls when so many other options exist - including eliminating non-critical services. I didn't get into details, just mentioned that my household budget has had to be tightened and some 'extras' eliminated. Government should set an example and do the same.

It's not that hard. Just hit Boston.com and scan the headlines. You don't need a detailed dissertation, just a note on how you feel. If you DO have a more passionate opinion on something, great. Otherwise, the goal is to maintain the dialog.

GOAL did not have standing and was not a party to the suit. GOAL certainly existed at the time.

It was the American Shooting Sports Council. It isn't clear to me whether they ran out of money or just dropped the ball. This was at the time when cities around the country were filing lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

Partially incorrect. GOAL was part of the suit, alongside ASSC. The court determined that GOAL had no "legal standing" and dismissed them from the suit. ASSC proceeded and lost. There is a limited amount of time to file an appeal and they blew it. They were apparently about to go out of business at that time and just let it slide. According to Nancy Snow (GOAL Chief of Staff), she told me that if ASSC told GOAL that they were not going to be able to proceed to appeal, GOAL would have tried to get someone else on board to appeal it . . . instead (apparently) ASSC did not communicate with GOAL about the matter and it died an ugly death.

+1 It's easy to complain when you don't know what Jim deals with at the state house each week. Remember the political make up of this state and the moonbats that need to be convinced. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with the egos on Beacon Hill let alone try to work with them on something that most of them literally hate.

My friend, neither you nor I have the patience and temperament to deal with those clowns on Bacon Hill on a day after day basis! [wink] G_d Bless Jim for putting up with them and trying to accomplish something useful. [bow]

Thanks. I thought GOAL was created after ASSC imploded. I knew they had no part in that fiasco.

Not true on both counts.

So, think GOAL doesn't do enough?

Volunteer -- GOAL could use an extra pair of hands or two. I do, and have for many years.

If you don't have time to volunteer, send a check and let your money do the work for you.

Don't just bitch -- get off your rump and do something to aid our cause!

Touché! I think it was 2 days after Kim started her new job when I Emailed her to tell her (weather dependent) that my Wife and I were volunteering to work the Marlboro Gun Show at the end of the month.

It's extremely rare that anyone from GOAL calls and asks me to help out. I just contact them and offer and have been doing so for more years than I can remember.

Try it, you'll like it! [wink]

Last edited:
So, think GOAL doesn't do enough?

Volunteer -- GOAL could use an extra pair of hands or two. I do, and have for many years.

If you don't have time to volunteer, send a check and let your money do the work for you.

Don't just bitch -- get off your rump and do something to aid our cause!

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom