What's the interest in semi-auto versions of sub-guns?

I own the following firearms that I think fit into this discussion: A cobray M-11 9m (MAC Clone) that I have a love hate relationship with, mostly hate but I'd never sell it, a feather AT-9 9mm, and a GSG-5. All of them were acquired because I like the way they looked and found them fun to shoot. Other then that I have no justification for owning them, to me the same argument could be used against semi-auto only versions of military rifles (AR's, AK's, FAL's, etc.) but I own a few of those for the same reason, I like the look of them and I enjoy shooting them. When we question one another's motives for owning certain firearms is when we break down into separate groups that are more easily overtaken by our common enemy (the Anti-gun left), we begin name calling (Mall Ninja, Fudd) and loose focus on what is important. I for one would never buy an ornately engraved revolver, but when someone I know acquires one I usually tell it is fine workmanship but it's just not my thing. I never ask what would you need that for, buy what you like, shoot what you like, and support your fellow shooters in whatever they choose to shoot. It couldn't be more simple. Just my .02

I own the following firearms that I think fit into this discussion: A cobray M-11 9m (MAC Clone) that I have a love hate relationship with, mostly hate but I'd never sell it, a feather AT-9 9mm, and a GSG-5. All of them were acquired because I like the way they looked and found them fun to shoot. Other then that I have no justification for owning them, to me the same argument could be used against semi-auto only versions of military rifles (AR's, AK's, FAL's, etc.) but I own a few of those for the same reason, I like the look of them and I enjoy shooting them. When we question one another's motives for owning certain firearms is when we break down into separate groups that are more easily overtaken by our common enemy (the Anti-gun left), we begin name calling (Mall Ninja, Fudd) and loose focus on what is important. I for one would never buy an ornately engraved revolver, but when someone I know acquires one I usually tell it is fine workmanship but it's just not my thing. I never ask what would you need that for, buy what you like, shoot what you like, and support your fellow shooters in whatever they choose to shoot. It couldn't be more simple. Just my .02

+2. Well said bud. I'm in the same boat for some guns. I don't dig milsurps or really any "old" guns at all, but I totally get why people like and collect them. I can also very much appreciate the care and and passion that folks like Ray and Ken put into their collections. I know we've got some guys on here that dig vintage wheelguns too. Once again, not at all my thing, but good for them for collecting and shooting what they like.

I think what this boils down to is this "justification" of any certain type of firearm, and quite frankly it's about as smart a debate as "Who'd win in a fight; Spiderman or Batman?" I could come up with "reasons" why any gun is unsuitable for any given purpose as it's largely subjective (and largely a matter of opinion/personal preference).

If you're really interested in what makes a pistol caliber subgun so cool (A good one that is, like an Uzi or HK94), come see me or MassMark at the next shoot and we'll show you the light! [smile]

I own the following firearms that I think fit into this discussion:... All of them were acquired because I like the way they looked and found them fun to shoot. Other then that I have no justification for owning them

You just made all the "justification" that you will ever need. You like them and they are fun to shoot..
What other reason do you need?

I might just start a "Show me your semi-auto subguns" thread in the Gun Gallery! [grin]

Well then I would have to post a pic of my 9mm AR running unmodified Uzi mags with the ACE entry stock and the Spikes Tactical fake can. [smile]

Wait till you get your hands on this one at the next members shoot! [devil]

It makes Ted Kennedy cry.

I was unaware any additional reasons to won one were necessary.

Good point...

I once talked to a guy that was describing his .380 Mac-11 semi pistol...

He basically said something to the effect of:

"Yes, shooting it sucks, and the gun is a piece of shit... but guess what- It makes antis everywhere, whine, cry, bitch piss and moan.... so by proxy, that automatically makes it something you just have to buy- simply because there are people that don't want you to have it... "

-Mike

Well I have been following this thread now for almost a week and there has been some real good feedback I think. Let me put in my 2 cents.

When I started collecting firearms back in 86 I wanted every and anything that looked like a military firearm even though it had to be semi auto. I had 3 uzis (full size, mini and pistol). Still have the uzi pistol btw and I had AKs and MAC 10s (semi versions), TEC9s and Mini 14s, Galils you name it, if it was military style, I had it and souped it up to look the part best I could while at the same time keeping it legal. I loved shooting these guns even though they were semi auto. I still do. I still have a few of them as well and refuse to sell them. They are fun to play with.

I still have the uzi pistol and a couple ARs, AKs and a few mini 14s. A few years back I got into NFA collecting (late bloomer as I should have got into it 10 years ago but did not have the $) and was able to purchase some full autos. Ruger AC556K (select fire mini 14) a MAC10 .45 and a registered receiver full auto IMI model A Uzi 9mm. Now to get these guns I did in fact sell my semi MACs and 2 of the uzis and one mini 14 however, as fun as these full auto guns are to shoot and train with I would not trade my uzi pistol (semi) or some of my other semi sub guns I have. They are still fun to shoot and they are collectors pieces that very likely WILL NOT be available one day so I feel that collecting them is the next best thing to full auto. If you can legally buy them and they hold an interest in your collection...... buy it. If you really dont care about them dont bother but if you are toying with the idea of having a semi sub gun its obvious you have an interest in them so grab one or 2 of them before the price gets so crazy its just not worth it. Some feel that this price is already here. To buy a semi uzi (pistol, carbine or mini) now you are looking at anywhere from 1200 to 1800 and a tec9 is up around 600 bucks.
So even indulging in the full auto shooting I still enjoy some of the semi sub guns as well. Ok they may just be an overpriced, bulky pistol but they do look cool and they are the closest some people will get to the full auto big brothers. So to answer the gentlemen's original post I say they do have a place at the range and in some people's collections because they are just cool looking and play the part pretty well minus the happy switch. Are they practical? Maybe for home defense or doing some tactical training on the range but maybe not for some others. I say go for it and have fun with them....

[smile] Rob

Last edited:
Here's my take on the Uzi and no - I'm not "locked into it". I need not justify the expense for the benefit of myself and my preferences. I didn't spend, therefore I must justify. At 43, I have had a passion for this firearm since 1986 - it was my second semi-automatic military firearm after the purchase of an HK93A2. Of all the guns I bought and sold through the years, it was one of my biggest regrets. I sold my original Uzi to help fund a 5-month excursion to Africa and though I would do it again, it would not be without a sense of loss...

The Uzi is a robust, accurate and reliable firearm. Everything about it to me just functions. From the mechanics of the folding stock, to the location of the magwell, (instinctive), to the simple takedown, (zero tools - even to remove the barrel), to the sights - the gun was designed to work. It's not as light as the HK94 - in fact, for a pistol caliber carbine, it's pretty heavy. The weight however adds to the smooth function, negligible recoil, accurate follow-ups and accuracy overall. Sending a 9mm pistol cartridge into tight 3-4" groups at 100-yards defies logic - flipping up the rear sight to '2' and doing it at 200-yards seems to defy physics. The Uzi will also munch just about anything you feed it. I spend one range day shooting WWB - another shooting a mix of reloads and Speer 124gr +P Gold Dots. No fancy rails, no lights, no bolt hold open, no red-dots, no frills, (unless you're creative) - it's a shooters gun and is laced with a sense of history each time you pull the trigger.

It's not for everyone, but it is ideal for those who appreciate the fore-mentioned...

I couldn't have said it better myself, Mark. I own two of these IMI built beautys, one 9/45 convertible and another 9mm. When I bought the first one years ago, the gentleman I bought it from couldn't say enough for the gun's accuracy. At first I thought he was just pumping the gun up, that was dis-spelled the first time I took it out to the range. I couldn't believe what an absolute tack driver it is!

Back
Top Bottom