what's the "cops can see guns registered to you" called?

Do you mind pointing us to this quote of the code? I've been under the assumption it was required.
Thanks

From Glidden's Notes on C. 140 S. 128B
1. Non Residents Moving Into MA: There is no requirement for non-residents to "register" their guns when they move into the state.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure it out as to WHY it is IMPOSSIBLE to otherwise comply with 128B and register your guns that you brought with you in compliance with this law.

I warn you that I use this as a quiz question for my students in my MA Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers Seminar and almost nobody gets it right.

I would have to plead ignorance on that one too, the way this state is I'd think it was mandatory to register them.

I would have to plead ignorance on that one too, the way this state is I'd think it was mandatory to register them.

Most people think that way. Read 128B and then critically think about HOW you could go about complying with that law! I challenge those that think that way to analyze the law from the perspective of a new resident just moving in. Or you can take my seminar and learn the real reason for this. HINT: It is NOT possible to comply with the law.

Yup, when they run your plates, it shows every firearm you own, make and caliber.
I saw it with my own eyes.

Are you sure of this? Every firearm you currently own, or every firearm transaction (bought or sold), but not showing the net remaining in your inventory? Ie you may have bought 8 and sold 5, so you have 3 left. Thanks.

Do you mind pointing us to this quote of the code? I've been under the assumption it was required. Thanks

You are not going to find a law that says "you don't have to do X".

MA firearms law requires that you register firearms transactions. Transactions include buying a gun, selling a gun, finding a gun, and losing a gun. Moving into the state is not on that list of firearms transactions.

I was pulled over by Winchester PD for speeding and when the officer came back with a warning he made a comment regarding how many guns I owned, he did not give me a number he just said it was a lot. It did not seem derogatory, just a general comment.

I was pulled over by Winchester PD for speeding and when the officer came back with a warning he made a comment regarding how many guns I owned, he did not give me a number he just said it was a lot. It did not seem derogatory, just a general comment.

Winchester huh? Surprised they didn't call your licensing authority to let them know how many you have and that they should restrict your license haha

Regarding the move to MA discussion, correct me if I'm wrong but that applies to non-residents moving with their guns. If you move and a year later decide you want to bring your guns from your home state in, by the letter of the law you're supposed to report that on an eFA-10 within 7 days of them coming into MA.

Regarding the move to MA discussion, correct me if I'm wrong but that applies to non-residents moving with their guns. If you move and a year later decide you want to bring your guns from your home state in, by the letter of the law you're supposed to report that on an eFA-10 within 7 days of them coming into MA.

It always gets interesting when this comes up. Let me go first... ;p

So, how does anybody know when, exactly, you brought the guns to MA such that they would need to be reported, and who in your family would turn you in for this? How is anyone to know that you did not bring all of these firearms with you when you moved here, assuming, of course, they were legally yours prior to you moving here?

ETA: I am not, and do not advocate breaking the law. I am simply asking a question, hypothetically, of course.

Last edited:
It always gets interesting when this comes up. Let me go first... ;p

So, how does anybody know when, exactly, you brought the guns to MA such that they would need to be reported, and who in your family would turn you in for this? How is anyone to know that you did not bring all of these firearms with you when you moved here, assuming, of course, they were legally yours prior to you moving here?

ETA: I am not, and do not advocate breaking the law. I am simply asking a question, hypothetically, of course.

You convict yourself by posting about it on FacePlant or here on NES. That's how they would know!!! [shocked]

You convict yourself by posting about it on FacePlant or here on NES. That's how they would know!!! [shocked]

Damn it, Len! Then why did you quote me?!? ;p Anyway, I said hypothetically, and was talking about a friend, so that's okay, right?

Len's right, though. First thing, don't talk about it on the internet.

Trying to find the thread(s) about cops seeing what you own(that's been Fa10'd) when they pull you over, but not having luck by searching.

To answer the original question: License Plate Recognition software. In Ohio, all CHL's are issued by the sheriff of the CHL licensee's county or adjoining county and are linked to their driver's license. In MA, the permits are entered by MA CJIS. License Plate Recognition systems started off in Australia and have been around for a few years. In Ohio, the database is called LEADS (Law Enforcement Automated Data System), but every state has a similar digitized cache of plates belonging to drivers wanted for crimes. Unfortunately, in some places like MA your gun inventory also shows up.

Back
Top Bottom