What's comparable to Mini-Mags?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
When I owned .22lr's in the past I always used CCI mini-mags, never had any problems with them. I'm sort of thinking of getting a 22 semi-auto handgun now, but with the ammo shortage - what would be a .22lr of the same quality? How about the different Eley versions on CMP?

Before someone asks....thinking about a G44 or a Ruger LCP II. Haven't shot or held either one.

thanks!

The aguila .22’s (super extra) seem good. I’ve had issues with a lot of the bulk pack stuff. But I’ve shot 100k of mini mags over my lifetime and is my favorite. I’ve shot most brands of .22’s. And recently had lot of Winchester .22 that were oversized and would not extract.

ETA: you have to find something that your gun will digest reliably. Best to test out several before you commit to one over the other.

Last edited:
The aguila .22’s (super extra) seem good. I’ve had issues with a lot of the bulk pack stuff. But I’ve shot 100k of mini mags over my lifetime and is my favorite. I’ve shot most brands of .22’s. And recently had lot of Winchester .22 that were oversized and would not extract.

ETA: you have to find something that your gun will digest reliably. Best to test out several before you commit to one over the other.

Different mags in the same gun, different ammo. All things to check out, by doing. My High Standard eats CCI Standard Velocity reliably. I have one mag that will work with Federal, but not the other. Aguila is OK, unless it's cold out, and the gun has cold-soaked for a while.

When I owned .22lr's in the past I always used CCI mini-mags, never had any problems with them. I'm sort of thinking of getting a 22 semi-auto handgun now, but with the ammo shortage - what would be a .22lr of the same quality? How about the different Eley versions on CMP?

Before someone asks....thinking about a G44 or a Ruger LCP II. Haven't shot or held either one.

thanks!
Well lets look at what a CCI mini mag is
36 gn copper plated bullet with a velocity of 1250 fps
There are other manufacturers with 36 gn 1250 fps

Depending on your pistol of choice and what you expect from your ammo will dictate what you buy for ammo.
Right now in this current ammo supply or lack of your going to have to buy what you like.

as for Eley , they make great ammo even thier bulk stuff is very good.

With my S&W model 41 it likes most sub sonic 22lr. I actual get my best accuracy with subsonics out of rifles and pistols.
Hollow points do not feed well in my 41.

if you have been happy with mini mags stick with them.

Sadly most 22s made these days cant cycle plain old 40gn 1050-1080 fps ammo?

I think ruger needs 1200 fps plus to even have a chance to function.
For your choices the cheapest ammo that functions is a good start.

Last edited:
The aguila .22’s (super extra) seem good.

Its excellent stuff but there are 3 different flavors at least. There's a standard velocity, high velocity hollow point (38gr) and high velocity solid point (40gr).

The last one would be closest to mini mags and is very accurate in my guns. The 38gr was not very accurate for me compared to the 40gr. The standard velocity was comparable to CCI standard velocity in performance.

Different mags in the same gun, different ammo. All things to check out, by doing. My High Standard eats CCI Standard Velocity reliably. I have one mag that will work with Federal, but not the other. Aguila is OK, unless it's cold out, and the gun has cold-soaked for a while.
Nah. In this case it’s the casing diameter or wall thickness. The cheap bulk stuff gets stuck (oversized or fire formed). Same mags, different brands. Totally an extraction issue. Had to pry cases out with a pocket knife or even using a cleaning rod to remove the case.

thanks!

If you're on the North Shore I'll sell you some of mine for pre-Covid prices, just PM me when you get the gun. I don't really shoot .22 anymore.

Nah. In this case it’s the casing diameter or wall thickness. The cheap bulk stuff gets stuck (oversized or fire formed). Same mags, different brands. Totally an extraction issue. Had to pry cases out with a pocket knife or even using a cleaning rod to remove the case.
Mine won't feed reliably, it's not an extraction issue. .22s can be finicky.

LCP2 in 22lr is pointless. The G44 is a disappointment on nearly every level. A 22 pistol thats ammo finicky is beyond annoying. go with something that will eat all ammo like a SW22 victory, browning buckmark or Ruger Mk3/Mk4. a SW model 41 is the winner and holds It’s value.

I recently acquired a Taurus tx22 which feels amazing in hand but I only have 100 rds through it. The build quality is not on par with a SW22.

I found this data on THR...

• Federal 550 Value Packs: 36 gr. Copper Plated HP, 1,280 fps.
• Federal AutoMatch: 40 gr. Lead Round Nose, 1,200 fps.
• American Eagle: 40 gr. Solid (LRN), 1,240 fps.
• Winchester 555: 36 gr. Copper Plated HP, 1,280 fps.
• Winchester Super X: 37 gr. Copper Plated HP, 1,280 fps.
• Winchester Super X: 37 gr. Copper Plated HP, 1,330 fps. (Super Speed HP / Small Game)
• Winchester Super X: 40 gr. Copper Plated Round Nose, 1,300 fps. (Super Speed / Small Game, Target & Plinking)
• Winchester Varmint HE: 37 gr., 3/1 Segmenting Expansion, 1,435 fps
• Winchester M*22: 40 gr. Black Copper Plated Round Nose, 1,255 fps.
• Remington 22 Golden Bullet: 36 gr. Plated HP, 1,280 fps.
• CCI Mini-Mags: 40 gr. HP, 1,235 fps. (Sold in 100 rd. boxes)
• CCI Stinger: 32 gr. Copper Plated HP, 1,640 fps. (Hottest 22LR CCI makes, sold in 50 rd. boxes!)
• CCI Segmented HP Subsonic: 40 gr. Segmented HP Subsonic, 1,050 fps.
• CCI Sub-Sonic HP: 40 gr. Subsonic Lead Round Nose HP, 1,070 fps.
• CCI Sub-Sonic HP: 40 gr. Subsonic Lead Round Nose HP, 1,050 fps.
• CCI AR Tactical: 40gr. Copper Plated, Round Nose, 1,200 fps.
• CCI Mini-Mags: 36 gr. Copper Plated Hollow Point, 1,260 fps.
• CCI Blazer: 40 gr. Lead Round Nose, 1,235 fps.
• GEMTECH Silencer Subsonic: 42 gr. Lead Round Nose, 1,020 fps.

Mine won't feed reliably, it's not an extraction issue. .22s can be finicky.
Could be nose profile and mag follower profile/angle. Seen that a lot and just not on not just .22s.

One of my 1911’s in 9mm hates anything but ball ammo or Speer gold dots. And I’ve used other premium HP ammo.

i like the eley action rec pak stuff I grabbed. 40g 1090 fps it has a noticeably different smell when fired but has been flawless
have not met a eley i have not liked, the price is the unlikable part.
eley club is about as cheap as it gets around .18 per round.

thanks!
If you are thinking of CCW-ing a .22LR, you may want to consider CCI Stingers Or Velocitors...

1611970018204.png
1611970103979.png

LCP2 in 22lr is pointless. The G44 is a disappointment on nearly every level. A 22 pistol thats ammo finicky is beyond annoying. go with something that will eat all ammo like a SW22 victory, browning buckmark or Ruger Mk3/Mk4. a SW model 41 is the winner and holds It’s value.

I recently acquired a Taurus tx22 which feels amazing in hand but I only have 100 rds through it. The build quality is not on par with a SW22.
I’m a big TX22 fan but I’ll be the first to admit that the plastic mags and build quality of gun itself are nothing to write home about. But it’s a blast to shoot. Especially if you have somewhat larger hands. The SR22 feels like a toy gun in my hands lol.

CCI AR tactical .22 is the most accurate supersonic .22 LR I have shot. I could only ever find it at Walmart though.

It would consistently shoot 2" groups at 200 yards. Most others I tried had a lot more vertical stringing.

The bullet shape of the AR tactical is more optimized for feeding in autoloader so I would think it would work well in a finicky pistol like the LCP II

CCI AR tactical .22 is the most accurate supersonic .22 LR I have shot. I could only ever find it at Walmart though.

It would consistently shoot 2" groups at 200 yards. Most others I tried had a lot more vertical stringing.

The bullet shape of the AR tactical is more optimized for feeding in autoloader so I would think it would work well in a finicky pistol like the LCP II
That’s good to hear as I got 15 packs of AR Tactical last month from BP. Shot one pack last weekend through my TX22 and AR22 SBR. Functioned really well. Seemed accurate enough but I was only shooting inside 25 yards.

Well lets look at what a CCI mini mag is
36 gn copper plated bullet with a velocity of 1250 fps
1250? Wait, hold that thought.
I found this data on THR...

• CCI Mini-Mags: 40 gr. HP, 1,235 fps. (Sold in 100 rd. boxes)​
...​
• CCI Mini-Mags: 36 gr. Copper Plated Hollow Point, 1,260 fps.​
Whew, I'm glad you posted that clarification.

The 300 round brick of 36 grain copper plated hollow-point that I bought
at Cabela's/Hudson-Berlin on 24-Apr'15 for $24.99 says 1260 fps.

Since that's spicier than 1250, I was about to ask what I should charge
to flip the brick during these challenging times....

Federal American eagle has a 38 grain copper wash high velocity hollow point 22 that is very similar to mini mags and I,ve had good luck with it. Look at buck marks for a decent 22

Fiocchi 40gr Copper Plated Solid Point (40gr at 1250fps) were pretty much interchangeable with CCI Mini-Mags for me in the finicky 22s I used to have.

Mine prefer anything of the 40 grain variety, just seems more consistent.

Aguila Super Extra, CCI AR tactical, and Winchester M-22(somehow works great for mine), are my usual suspects. Picked up some 40gr Mini-Mags, Green Tag, CCI Select Precision, and some Gold Medal Match awhile ago but haven't given any of it a go yet.

Back
Top Bottom