What's best, tumbler or vibrator

The rubber barrel tumbler has been around the longest I guess but is the newer vibrating brass cleaner-polisher doing the better job and possibly quicker job? I will only be doing brass nothing else.

Thanks.

I've used both and am glad I bought a vibrating tumbler. Easier to check on the progress of the brass and, if you add cleaners to your media, the carrier can "flash off" from a vibrator. It can't do that in a sealed rotating tumbler.

Rotary barrel tumblers work, they just take longer. I started out with a barrel tumbler and then switched to a vibrator. Cleaning time was cut in half. I have used several vibrators and have found the Dillon models to be the best. They are much sturdier than the competiton.

I have both a Thumblers Tumbler, and a Midway. The Thumblers is 25 years old, done tons of brass, and still works fine. I bought the Midway for moly coating bullets, but now use it for smaller brass jobs. It has a switch on the line cord. which is nice.

Most reloaders (read all most all) that I’ve talked to about case cleaners like the vibratory style case cleaner.

Although Scrivner makes a good point I hadn't heard before.

jkelly

Last edited:
Most reloaders (read all most all) that I’ve talked to about case cleaners like the vibratory style case cleaner.

Although Scrivner makes a good point I hadn't heard before.

jkelly

Midway offers a clear lid so you can watch the brass in action.
You are supposed to run a vibrator style with the lid off for a while to allow the liquid carrier to flash, othewise you end up with goop inside the cases.

For those of you who prefer the barrel tumbler, I have a top of the line Thumbler's (metal barrel with rubber liner) in as new condition. Make me an offer.

<< BOUGHT A LYMAN 1200 W/2 BOWLS & STRAINER LID >>

Thanks very much folks, for your thoughts on the subject. I have used the Thumler’s Tumbler for a number of years and now I’ve purchased a Lyman’s tumbler (maybe should have bought a Dillon?) I was told that the vibrator type tumbler is quicker and it sure is but I found that it’s quite a bit noisier also.

I do all my reloading in a much smaller area now and the noise was truly disconcerting. Noting that they tell you not to put anything “soft” under the unit so it can cool properly (like carpeting) I finally figured out a way of quieting the unit somewhat. I placed a 2” thick by 30-inch by 30-inch foam packing pad down with a hard plastic table top on the foam that the unit could set upon. The tabletop is a few inches smaller that the foam and stays put nicely.

This worked well and I was pleased until the first batch of brass was about done when I noticed the odor and dust that it produced (I have the Lyman with the somewhat open “media strainer” lid). The lid works very well at straining out the media (didn’t have to buy a separate devise for that) but it also lets noise and dust and odor emit. I solved this problem by placing a very damp old dishtowel over the top, with a small hole for the threaded rod. The noise is diminished further still, no more dust and the odor is almost none existent. The towel covers only half way down the side of the vibrator bowl so it won’t interfere with the cooling of the unit.

I’m very pleased with the Lyman unit and was going to sell my old Thumber’s Tumbler unit if it wasn’t too much of a dinosaur, hoping I’d be able to get twenty bucks or so for it. Well I looked on Ebay and found two A-R 12’s within a week or so that sold USED, one for about $100 and the other I believe was in the eighty-plus dollar range! LIFE IS GOOD!

Thanks once again for your input folks.

I think you're missing the REAL cover. My Lyman - it's about 20 years old - came with the proper solid cover. The strainer is just that - a STRAINER. Running with that will get dust all over.

All I've done to my vibrating cleaner is take the back off once or twice to clean out the dust and lube the motor bearings.

I WILL LOOK INTO A SOLID LID.

This is the unit I bought (below). Perhaps your right Scrivener, I should order the solid lid for tumbling and then I wouldn’t have to go through the wet cloth routine any longer.

It only shows the “sifter” lid on their site, I don’t see it as an option at their site or in their catalog unless you buy another 1200 bowl with it…perhaps I’ll just call Midway or Lyman. Of course the clear lid for the 600 bowl that comes with this unit is too small for the 1200. Thanks for your help.

Lyman Turbo 1200 Twin Case Tumbler 110 Volt
The Turbo Twin Tumbler features the Lyman Turbo Tumbler with an additional Turbo 600 Tumbler bowl. The Turbo 1200 Series Tumbler feature a beefed-up suspension system and built-in "exciters" for better tumbling action and faster cleaning. The drive system features an improved airflow for cooling and longer motor life. The 1200 Bowl System offers a built-in sifter lid for easy sifting of cases and media at the end of the polishing cycle. The large bowl holds up to 350 38 Special cases while the small holds 175 38 Special cases.

Ahhhh, I received an email back from Lyman stating that I could call one of their 800 numbers there and order the 1200 lid that I need. They also stated that the use of a “static sheet” in the bowl would help with keeping down the dust.

MegaPlinker ~ I’m not in the need for a brass sifter but I tried the web site you posted and they stated something like having to be a business in order to order there. Thanks anyhow.

Ahhhh, I received an email back from Lyman stating that I could call one of their 800 numbers there and order the 1200 lid that I need. They also stated that the use of a “static sheet” in the bowl would help with keeping down the dust.

MegaPlinker ~ I’m not in the need for a brass sifter but I tried the web site you posted and they stated something like having to be a business in order to order there. Thanks anyhow.
Sorry about that. They have a seperate site for dealer pricing (For those of us with C&R licences) and normal pricing. Here is the link for average joes:
http://www.grafs.com/
BTW, the dryer sheets do help with the dust.

tumblers

I ahve relocated my tumbler to a remote location, away from my reloading
bench. Your right about the noise, but if its about 15 feet away its non
existent.

JimB

[coffee]
I ahve relocated my tumbler to a remote location, away from my reloading
bench. Your right about the noise, but if its about 15 feet away its non
existent.

JimB

The fifteen feet didn’t help in my residence. The insulating material under and the cloth over with the door closed is the only thing that helps, unless of course I wore my muffs! LOL!! I’m just a little sensitive I guess but I don’t want to bother anyone else with that thing grinding away for a number of hours.

I remember once finding a bag of casings in the parking lot of a gun club that I was going to shoot at one evening. I was about to bring them in and ask who lost them but thought better of it when I checked to see what type the casings were. Much to my surprise, the person that tumbled the casings must have let it run while he went on a two-week vacation!

The casings were just about paper-thin, you could squeeze them flat between your fingers. I didn’t bring them into the club figuring that the wise-n-himers were in there just waiting for someone to come in announcing finding the bag of casings. I never did find out who belonged to those fragile capsules. Ahh, such is life in the shooting sports world!
[coffee]

Back
Top Bottom