What would you pay for a Ruger P-series

What would you pay for a Ruger P-series Preban 9mm with 2 - 15 round mags?

A co-worker of mine is thinking of selling his and offered it to me for $300. I'm just wondering if that sounds like a fair price.

I have fired it and it is a nice firearm and in really good shape. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but I know it is a pre-ban.

He was going to get me more info on it, but before I commit to it, I thought I would turn to the experts here.

Mind you this would be my very first firearms purchase. [smile]

I have an issue with where the magazine release is (are) located on that pistol. A friend of mine has one and it always bites the flesh between my thumb and index finger for some reason.

If it's a Model P89, that is an okay price. If it's a P85, well, those sell in the gun stores used for $250-275.

I've got one I bought at Kittery Trading Post back in the early 90's. I paid $325 for it back then. Its bulky but goes bang every time. If you do decide to buy it stay away from 115 gr. ammo and get your hands on something heavier like 147 gr. Mine has become a safe queen but I'm sure it'll see some use down the road.

Mind you this would be my very first firearms purchase. [smile]

On top of the whole pricing issue, is this something you'd really like to be your first firearm? What kind of experience do you have and what do you plan to do with the gun? I only ask because even though it may be a decent price, will the gun fit your needs/wants? Granted any gun is better than no gun, but we are allowed to be picky if we want, and after all, it will be your gun.

Thanks guys.

I kinda thought the price was a bit on the... "above average" side. And, in all honesty... not the gun that I think I would enjoy the most.

Like I said. I have fired it... only complaint was it was "bulky" but it did go "bang" [wink] It was accurate though.

Personally I'm thinking of opting out of this one and holding out for a Para... either a P10 or P12. I only say that cause I fired a warthog and love everything about it... except that it was a bit small for my hands... I figure the slightly larger Paras would yeild the same performance... just a bigger package.

Thanks again for the advice [smile] I feel better knowing I was on the right path.

Matt, just a comment here...

I have a Ruger P90; that's the .45ACP version of your buddy's gun. Although it's not been getting much range time lately (my 1911 is hogging the bang time!), that's one gun I'll never sell. Accurate, fits my hand perfectly, and utterly reliable - it fits my hand like Excalibur fit Arthur's.

But... it's the ugliest gun in the world (right behind a Glock, that is!). Nonetheless, it stays. Great gun. Looks aren't everything. Reliability is.

It's actually a P-85

I'm gonna show him what I found on the gunbroker site and see if I can get him to around $225.

If he goes for it. Then at least I know I'm getting a good price and a decent gun.

Back
Top Bottom