What to use to seal a stock's finish?

Hi guys I inherited an old Eastern Arms .410 yeaterday that was looking alittle beat. I broke it all down, sanded the stock and forend, and stained it in a nice light walnut. Now my question is, what if anything should i use to seal the finish? I dont really want the look of poly, or varnish, i just really want it to keep the fresh wood look. Is there anything I can use to seal in and protect the finish without giving it a coated look?

Thanks!
-Jon

Before:
0405091217.jpg

After:
0405091443.jpg

Last edited:
I always use a mix consisting of Beeswax, Linseed oil, and turpentine =- makes a pasty wax slurry - rub it into the wood, let sit overnight, and wipe in and off the next day...

Tung Oil, I've used the Minwax brand myself.

Google "tung oil stock refinishing", you'll find more info than you'll ever need.

I've read linseed works well too but never used it myself

I also vote for Tung Oil.
I refinished an M1 Carbine stock with it many years ago and it still looks great.
I think the brand name of the stuff I used was "Homer Formby" ??

Thanks for the responses!

Can this tung oil be used over stain? or is it a finish in itself?

You can use it either way. It's essentially a clear, matte finish so if you don't stain first it would look like bare wood. I used it over stain rubbing on 2-3 light coats. I *think* I waited 24 hrs between coats and used steel wool between rubbings. It was a while ago though so do the google search for prep and sanding details.

Last edited:
boiled

linseed oil will do what you want. follow the directions on the can.

Its simple to use and long lasting. use it straight, no thinning and no mixing
with other things.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom