What to look for in recent purchase of Mosin Nagant

K98

I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30. What area's are considered to be a primary concern while inspecting these prior to firing? I checked the firing pin depth with the gauge provided, and recently purchased the 3 piece head space gauge from Firewerks. It passed the testing for all 3 gauges. Bore is clean and bright with excellent rifling.

Thanks

Shot it today and it fired perfectly. I would like to find Russian stripper clips though. I've read the Chinese clips are junk. Any ID marks to look for on those?

I just used a brass punch with a tack hammer to move mine. You could use a steel punch if you aren't worried about maybe marking the side of the sight and want a little more force.

I think you should build it into one of these:

tacMosin-1.jpg

mosinzc5.jpg

Attachments

• tacMosin-1.jpg
    tacMosin-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Did you get it from one of the dealers online? I just ordered 2 of those $100 specials.

When you take the rifle out of the stock look for markings under the wood line. The date and manufacturer will be on the tang. Underside of the barrel can sometimes produce a dozen markings. Then go to www.7.62x54R.net and see if the markings are there. if so they provide some history of what they mean etc. Congratulations to the Mosin addiction, I mean Mosin club. ENJOY[cheers]

I think you should build it into one of these:

I am Just Curios, How much longer than 16 inches is the barrel?? Cant be more than another Half or One???
Definatly looks Cool S.D.

That franken-mosin was built by Zero Hour Arms as a joke meant to poke fun at people who add gimmicky stuff to AR platform rifles and the people who freak out when they see sporterized classic guns. They bought it to a couple of shoots to let people try it.

I don't know how long the barrel is. I just know the picture, myself, and the gun are pretty much famous on the net thanks to a picture MassMark took of me trying it.

Every time Mike posts it, I post the pic of him shooting it. :D

Back
Top Bottom