What to do if a M1 carbine closes on the field gauge?

I have an IBM that I bought from Four Seasons a few months back and it looked like it was in beautiful shape. Refinished metal, some parts not original including the bolt and some trigger group parts, really nice wood. I'd never headspace checked any rifle before that but I recently picked up a field guage and decided to check it. As it turns out, although my Saginaw and Underwood CMP RG pass the test, the IBM closed on the field gauge. I've actually shot it before and it functioned perfectly and shot fine. What should I do? Am I going to need to rebarrel it, or could it be a problem with the bolt?

If it were me, I'd borrow another bolt and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'd forget about it and use it like any other gun. Check your empty cartridges and see if there is any change in specs but I don't think it's a big problem.

I'll have to try it with the other two carbine bolts. If it is the bolt, I wouldn't mind getting it changed anyway since it's an M2 bolt and I like the M1 bolt more (also, the finish doesn't match)

I think of the 3 gauges as below minimum, good , and max usable. The field gauge is telling you that the gun needs a new bolt and a headspace check with the other 2 gauges done by someone who can work on these. It will still shoot ( as you've found out ) but accuracy might suffer and it will definitely mess up the brass for reloading.

Joe R.

The bolt from my Saginaw allowed the rifle to pass the field gauge so I guess I'm in the market for a new bolt. Might as well make it a M1 IBM bolt instead of the M2 bolt that was in there.

Well, the IBM is mostly for just collecting it. My Saginaw and Underwood are both great shooters.

Back
Top Bottom