What the Hell is That

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
What the Hell is That
(taken from the famous chrismas tune: "what the hell,what the hell,what the hell is that?")

A new running challenge to name the most obsure weapons

Rules: or suggested guidelines: The Winner aka Guessur must post the next obsure weapon picture and let everyone else guess.

The Prize: There aint one but you do get braggin rights for a few moments.

Ill start it off with the very first

What the Hell is That

They are Depth Charges

I was going to say tha Jaxon is really smart and got it right away but HE RIGHT CLICKED!
Cheating is =only Cheating yourself.

So Jaxon. Now you need to post the next challenge photo

WAMUS_Y-gun_SC-267_pic.jpg

Last edited:
Depth Charges and launcher

The depth charge is an anti-submarine weapon intended to defeat its target by the shock of exploding near it. Most use explosives and a fuse set to go off at a pre-determined depth. Some have been designed to use nuclear warheads. Depth charges can be deployed by both ships and aircraft.

I don't know what they are, but the look like depth charges in some funky configuration...is that a PT boat and the lines are to hold them to the launchers until needed?

Its a DUCATI

Too easy

Its a DUCATI

and it is suppose to be an "Obscure Weapon" not an OBSURE MUTOMOBILE[smile]

Is it my turn again?

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Handcannon, probably 16th century, I'd guess.
Close enough. I don't think anyone else will get any closer.
The data plate sez: Combined wheellock and matchlock hand-mortar. The
stock inlaid with engraved stag-horn Nueremberg Mark and maker's mark
G.H. over a pierced heart on lock plate, about 1590. One of the few
surviving grenade launchers of the late 16th Century.
This came from a google image search for obscure weapon. Have I ever told you that software engineers are lazy?

OK, my turn, I believe. I know the owner's son but have not seen this gun in person. I do know what it is, though... and if you guys DO come up with the name, I'd love any more information that you might have on it!! (and yes, I've edited out the name on the grips and slide - I'll post the real pics if y'all are stumped.)

gun11.jpg

gun11-2.jpg

OK, my turn, I believe. I know the owner's son but have not seen this gun in person. I do know what it is, though... and if you guys DO come up with the name, I'd love any more information that you might have on it!! (and yes, I've edited out the name on the grips and slide - I'll post the real pics if y'all are stumped.)

gun11.jpg

gun11-2.jpg

Looks like a Fritz MANN Wekzeug- und Waffenfabrik / Suhl. It was commonly known as a vest pocket pistol.

Looks like a Fritz MANN Wekzeug- und Waffenfabrik / Suhl. It was commonly known as a vest pocket pistol.
Damn, Scott... just damn. You got it. I'm impressed; I had to go hunting to ID this for my friend. Here are the unaltered pics:

Mann1.jpg

Mann4.jpg

I believe that "cal 6.35" equates to a .25 ACP, which is how it's marked.

BTW, if you have any more info on the gun or the manufacturer, the owner's son would really appreciate it.

Oh, yeah... it's your turn now. Something obscure... and if you don't have anything, I have a few more lined up. [devil]

Last edited:
For the Dwarven1

I believe that "cal 6.35" equates to a .25 ACP, which is how it's marked.

BTW, if you have any more info on the gun or the manufacturer, the owner's son would really appreciate it.

Mann .25

History:

The construction of this pistol was done by Fritz Mann in 1919.
In spite of many other designers of that time Mann went his own way and by that created a pistol with lots of interesting small details. And for sure one of the most "ugly" ones, still being of reliable function. It was one of the smallest and lightest vestpocket-pistols on the market of that time too.
Among these interesting construction-details you find a removable barrel without stripping the pistol, a load indicator at the side, which is working as detent plunger for the safety-lever, and a groove around inside the chamber, where Mann came in for patent and always stated in the referring manuals, that this would work like a locked breech.
Besides his testes of a stronger .25 cartridge considering this background it also is told, that Mann intented to produce a .32 type of same design. Anyway he dropped these intentions with the production of a normal an more simple .32 construction later on.
The pistol was produced just during a short period of time from 1920 to about end of 1923. Since 1924 it was no longer mentioned in the according gun-catalougues of that time. It seems that not even 20.000 pcs have been produced.
Appearently this pistols did not sell good, being of rather strange design compared to the competitors among vestpocket-pistols of that era.
Therefore this pistol is already kind of scarce today.

Technical Datas:

SYSTEM: self-cocking pistol with mass system and firing pin
CARTRIDGES : 5
CALIBRE : .25 ACP
BARREL LENGTH : 45 mm , 6 grooves right hand twisting
WEIGHT EMPTY : 330 g
TOTAL LENGTH : 104 mm
TOTAL HEIGHT : 70 mm
TOTAL WIDTH : 18.6 mm
TRIGGER : Single Action
SIGHT : groove
SAFETY : safety-lever