What should I look for in a spotting scope?

I need a spotting scope for use with .223. I'd like something that I can use out to 200 yards so I don't have to keep running down range to check my impacts. What magnification/qualities should I seek?

Does a decent scope exist for under $150?

Thanks.

Look at a Meade ETX70 scope. They are made as a low end astronomy scope. You can find them refurbed for very small money ($125-$200), the optics are incredible, they are very portable and 200 yards is nothing for them. They will make your target look like it's 3 feet away.

Been looking for the same type of scope. Probably going to buy the Barska Blackhawk 20-60x 60mm with case and tripod for $100 plus shipping from Midway unless someone has something bad to say about it. Check it out.

I purchased one of these Konus scopes from Jim Owens http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm
It works nicely. They make both an 80mm and 100mm scope, the 80mm is about $200. I have the older 80mm and use it for service rifle shooting mostly at 200yds and it works nicely.
Check out the website link, Jim Owens knows his stuff. If you afford this scope it is quite nice.

I need a spotting scope for use with .223. I'd like something that I can use out to 200 yards so I don't have to keep running down range to check my impacts. What magnification/qualities should I seek?

Does a decent scope exist for under $150?

Thanks.

i can see my holes fine with a 10x scope up to 200 yards with shoot-n-see or targets with a white background. for 200+ (300 yards max) and targets with a black background, i grabbed a pair of Bushnell Binos from Dicks for like $70 bucks. they are 10 - 24x 60mm (i think)... they work great.

-definatley NOT a spotting scope, but they suit my needs.

edit: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/116029-WTS-Spotting-Scope

[rofl] it's calling you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Redfield 20-60x60 for about $220 at Bass Pro and it works fine for me. I use it for .223 and .308 out to about 300 yards. I don't have the use for a expensive one for as often as I need it. It works for me.

Back
Top Bottom