what Shotgun for deer hunting?

hello folks , new to the forum and i need some help .i know this is a question that will probably have many different answers but i need to start somewhere, what make and model shotgun would you recommend for deer hunting. I know nothing of shotguns so please feel free to tell me the every detail .I liked the look features of a benelli 12 gauge super black eagle II I comfortech but i think that may be out of my price range i would try to keep it under 700.00 if possible but not definate.

Welcome to the Forum. You can pretty much use any shotgun for deer, but some models are better designed for it, at the expense of being suitable for other tasks - but that can also be remedied. My advice is to keep it simple and get a 12 gauge pump gun from one of the major manufacturers. You can't go wrong with a Remington 870, but others are fine as well and the bottom ejection of the Browning BPS appeals to some.

If your only intention for the gun is to hunt deer, get one with a slug barrel, which will probably be about 20" with open sights built in. Now that you can use a rifled shotgun (sort of an oxymoron, eh?) in MA, which is where I assume you are, else you'd be looking for a rifle, you might as well go that route. You can also mount a scope or dot sight if you like.

If you decide you want to use the same gun for wingshooting you can get a second barrel, maybe 28" and smoothbore with changeable choke tube, and then you'll be set for hunting just about everything that's legal in MA. Changing out barrels takes maybe two minutes or less.

Unless you really want a new gun - and for something like this there's really no reason to, take a drive up to Kittery Trading Post where they'll have a variety of used guns that fit that description for less than half of your $700 limit. You can use what's left over for that second barrel and probably add a scope and a bunch of ammo to practice with as well. Handle them all and pick the one that feels best to you.

Although I have a number of high-quality double guns, I keep a battered 870 Express around for duck hunting on the theory that if it's too nice to use as a canoe paddle, it's too nice to have in a duck blind. It's served me well for more years than I care to remember.

Personally, if this is ONLY for deer hunting in MA, I would buy a top
quality inline muzzleloader and a great scope. My Knight DISC Elite
can do 1" at 100yds with several 300 and 250 gr loadings. With one
of these you can hunt both the shotgun and ML seasons with the
same gun without giving anything up to a shotgun in terms of accuracy
or killing ability or range.

F

hello folks , new to the forum and i need some help .i know this is a question that will probably have many different answers but i need to start somewhere, what make and model shotgun would you recommend for deer hunting. I know nothing of shotguns so please feel free to tell me the every detail .I liked the look features of a benelli 12 gauge super black eagle II I comfortech but i think that may be out of my price range i would try to keep it under 700.00 if possible but not definate.
http://splodetv.com/video/aa-12-auto-shotgun

I use an 1100 for three gun matches. Using slugs cast in a Lee mold I get sub 3 inch groups at 25 yds. This was with the iron sights (slug barrel) which I could barely see with my aging eyes. I have just added a Bushnell Holosight to improve my shooting. The Holosight was a great deal; $139 with mount from Natchez (list price is $279). This combo should work well for hunting.

I have a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, topped off with a Mueller 2x7. It's heavy and only a single shot (all you should need) but it'll shoot a 1" 3 shot group at 100yds all day long.

I also have a rifled barrel 870 with rifle sights that shoots 3" groups at 50 yds. Both are excellent shotguns and you can't go wrong with either.

If you are just getting started in deer hunting you dont need a $1,000slug rig! However, if you are a rifle hunter that is used to shooting at long range with a scope, you may want to invest in something rifled and scoped and try a few different types of sabot slugs and see what kind of results you get.

If you hunt from a tree stand or in an area where you know it's highly unlikely that you'll be taking a shot at more than 75-100 yards, you will probably be well served with an 870, MB 500 or my favorite, the Ithaca mod. 37 Deerslayer. And dont be afraid to buy a used pump gun with slug barrel. All guns shoot differently as does the ammo. I have lost count of the number of deer I have killed with a MB 500 and my Ithaca (both smootbore) using Federal slugs.

I fell in love with my Ithaca when once, many years ago at my home town (upstate NY) fish & game club turkey shoot, I won three turkeys by hitting a clay pigeon hanging on a tree at 100 yards, 3 out of 6 times, free hand with open sights. The contest was called the "The Lucky Shot". I was beaming and all full of myself for sure!! but that was well before the day of sabots and scoped slug guns. Any how - thats my 2cents worth....

Thanks everyone for all the input , for the record i live in NY and i am looking on behalf of my cousin who was interested i think only because a rear he hunts he doesn't need a rifle that can shoot 300+ yards he would most likely be shooting from a blind or a tree stand in a pretty wooded area like as someone said probably not more than 100yrd shot. i wanted to get him areally nice one maybe camo because he hooked me up with a great job and i owe him bigtime so again thanks to everyone and have a merry christmas .

god bless our troops protecting us so far away from home , i hope everyone did more than put a ribbon on their car for support this year, looks nice but lets face it they need and deserve more .
Tom

Honestly, it's a matter of preference. I know people that hunt with $150 mossberg's with a rifled barrel, then the cost of a scope. Or use open sights if you prefer. They love that set-up, and you can't beat the price. Or you can go higher end if you'd like. The only option I'd really suggest is get a cantilevered barrel for it, if you're going to use a scope.

top of the line would be a Benelli Super Black Eagle II slug gun.
You don't need a 12 guage if it is going to be a dedicated slug gun. .20 works just as good and ballistically is very similar without the punishment.

A remington 1100/11-87 .20 gauge slug gun would be about perfect and not totally break the bank like a benelli, Unless it was one hell of a job, then spring for the SBEII

Lower down the line, but enjoyable, was the old Savage and Marlin bolt-action 20 gauge shotguns. For slugs, they were great, and handled more like a rifle. The removable magazine held two for a maximum of 2+1. You can still find them on gun auction sites. I had one in the 1980's and did a lot of hunting with it. I've often regretted trading it.

Ultra Slug Hunter 20 Gauge

I agree with CAD. I'd get an Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge and put some sabots through it. It will give you 45-70 type ballistics out of an inexpensive, reliable highly accurate rig. I'd probably top it off with a Bushnell scope with the firefly retical. This would be tough to beat for a Mass. deer gun.

Personally I would go with either the mossberg 500 combo or a Remington Express combo 12 gauge they both come with 2 barrels. I believe the Remington slug barrel is rifled the Mossberg is not. Atleast the ones I have.

Back
Top Bottom