• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Rail Protectors/Guards do you use or prefer?

I'm curious what rail protectors you all use on your rails? I just put a new AR upper together with rifle-length quad rails and it didn't come with any guards like my KAC rails did on my a4 clone. So, I'm in the market and curious on opinions here.

Do you like what you're using? Any complaints or comments on different experiences with different protectors?

--

My experience with the KAC RAS protectors is that they're solid but not very sturdy. They only lock on at the front and back of the rails and still have a tiny bit of wiggle to them. I doubt they'd lock on period to any other rail system aside from the KAC. They can't slide off easily if you have something mounted near the muzzle and put a protector behind it (they'll ram into the mounted device or the delta ring unless you break them off). Overall, they work but I'm not remotely impressed with them.

I like Magpul ladder rail panels (edit: same thing linked by terraformer above) because they have a very thin profile, and give the rail just enough rubberized grip surface to take away the harsh edges, particularly when you use an AFG or other forward grip that results in some hand contact with the rail. I don't really care if my rails get dinged, so protection isn't an issue for me. Magpul also makes thicker panels that are popular if you like that feel.

I just picked up the magpul XTMs they're ok. They interlock on the rail itself. I was really bummed because there is literally nothing out there for midlength rifles, and you either have to piece together something, or cut and paste.

I use the XTMs because they give me the greatest versatility in determining which rail sections to cover while still allowing for a comfortable grip. The LaRue index clips are nice, but don't feel as good in the hand.

I like the ladder type low profile ones. They still do a good job of protecting my hands and keep stuff from doing any damage to the rail sections. Besides; they are cheapin price, easy to put on, and can simply be cut to match how long the rail section is or how you rifle is configured.

smitty

Back
Top Bottom