What next?

Got my license last summer. First three purchases were:

1. Ruger MKIII Hunter .22 pistol
2. Ruger SR9C 9mm
3. Saiga 5.45 which I just finished converting.

Very happy with those purchases, but I'm trying to decide what to get next. My thoughts have included a 1911 (prob the Ruger), a shotgun (would love something semi-auto), and a revolver (perhaps a 44 magnum or something equally bad ass). Thoughts? Would like to keep it well under $700.

Everybody needs a general purpose .357 magnum.

THIS!

I have MANY more guns on my list, but the first time I shot my .357 (a GP100 6" stainless) I thought I had died and gone to heaven! MAN I wish OC wasn't such a big f-ing deal or I'd never carry anything else! I font care what I'm going to the range to shoot, this gun ALWAYS goes, it ain't NEVER gonna be a safe queen!

THIS!

I have MANY more guns on my list, but the first time I shot my .357 (a GP100 6" stainless) I thought I had died and gone to heaven! MAN I wish OC wasn't such a big f-ing deal or I'd never carry anything else! I font care what I'm going to the range to shoot, this gun ALWAYS goes, it ain't NEVER gonna be a safe queen!

I shoot revolvers more accurately than I do semi's. If we lived in a society where it wouldn't ruffle any feathers, I would probably carry this with different grips and rear sight:
170210_01_lg.jpg

I"ve had my permit for a little less than a year any I too have a Ruger MKIII Hunter and a 9mm but my new favorite is my Ruger GP100 4" I bought from a NES member. I really like this gun.

I think that either a 1911 or a revolver is an excellent choice.

The S&W 686 (I like the 7-Shot Talo 6" stainless) can be had for right around $700. It is simply a gorgeous gun, a pleasure to shoot, and accurate as heck. The ammo is a bit expensive, but what a great gun.

I also recently shot the Remington R1911 Enhanced and was amazed at how accurate it is, how easy to shoot, and how fun it was.

Maybe I am just having my eyes opened because I have been mostly shooting Glocks and other 9mm's in the past year, but to me the fun factor and accuracy of both the 686 and the 1911 surpasses the Glock by a good measure. (I think I just don't like the trigger feel on the Glock, even though several people have told me mine are fine, and they are accurate/reliable.)

Good choice on the MK III. I love the heavy barrel Target. It's cheap to shoot, very accurate, and a good training gun for new shooters who may be intimidated by bigger guns. Add a 10/22 when you can, and you'll be able to shoot all day for short money.

Last edited:
12 ga. shotgun.
870 Police should do.

If you want semi auto go with the 1187. Love mine got it at Dicks Sporting Goods for $ 399 and the SR1911 (If I could get one I would) sounds like a great idea.

.357 wheel gun or a AR-15. Granted, the latter might put you a little over $700, but you'll happy that you splurged.

You can definitely get one for under that mark. It just might not be what you want.

A .357 revolver, like a 686 is a must have in any collection, just an ultimate pleasure to shoot. A 1911 is next on my list, I think im going to splurge and get a nice S&W E series [grin], though ive heard good things about the ruger.

Your quest will never end. I'll suggest to investing on the biggest safe now so you'll be ready for your future quest. [wink]

Sent from my iPhone 5.

A 1911 is next on my list, I think im going to splurge and get a nice S&W E series

It's a tough choice, because there are so many really good options. I was looking at the S&W and the Remington. I really like the stainless S&W, but for roughly equal money, I ended up with the Remington R1911 E. Who knows, maybe there is room for the S&W as well.

The biggest problem I had when looking at 1911's was finding a shop with a large selection of different models(Operative words here) in stock.

Thanks all. Really great opinions and food for thought. Just what I was going for. I think I'm narrowing it down to a .357 revolver or semi auto 12 gauge. How cheap can you get the 12 gauge shells if you buy smart?

Thanks all. Really great opinions and food for thought. Just what I was going for. I think I'm narrowing it down to a .357 revolver or semi auto 12 gauge. How cheap can you get the 12 gauge shells if you buy smart?

Walmart typically has a good selection on shells, get a big box of birdshot(I think its 100 shells) for about 20$, 5 pack of slugs for 3 or 4$. Dicks usually has plenty also, but I havnt priced them there. If you get into skeet shooting, youll be going through a ton of shells but it wont matter since youll be having so much fun [wink]

Every good American gun collection is not complete without adding a 1911 and AR. Of course some kind of M1 (carbine, Garand, or M1A) doesn't hurt either. Maybe I'm biased since I have all the above.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

It's a tough choice, because there are so many really good options. I was looking at the S&W and the Remington. I really like the stainless S&W, but for roughly equal money, I ended up with the Remington R1911 E. Who knows, maybe there is room for the S&W as well.

The biggest problem I had when looking at 1911's was finding a shop with a large selection of different models(Operative words here) in stock.

Don't overlook Springfields Range Officer. Nice 1911 that comes with a lot upgrades over a standard

3 years ago when I moved here I had ONE gun, my xD45, which was all I had for 3 years. Now I have 6 rifles, a shotgun (looking at another as I type) and 3 more handguns, including the .357 I mentioned earlier. And since none of them are 1911's, AR's or some flavor of M1, now you're telling me I don't have enough???

WTF! Now I need a new safe! And I'm gonna be eating bologna for a LONG time!

3 years ago when I moved here I had ONE gun, my xD45, which was all I had for 3 years. Now I have 6 rifles, a shotgun (looking at another as I type) and 3 more handguns, including the .357 I mentioned earlier. And since none of them are 1911's, AR's or some flavor of M1, now you're telling me I don't have enough???

WTF! Now I need a new safe! And I'm gonna be eating bologna for a LONG time!

Can never have enough. I'm at 13 rifles, and 14 handguns and no way need done.

Don't overlook Springfields Range Officer. Nice 1911 that comes with a lot upgrades over a standard

I assume there are plenty of other great 1911's that I can't buy because they aren't MA compliant. Sadly, I don't think I saw a shop that had any MA compliant Springfields, Kimbers, or Sigs. I know Four Seasons carries the one Sig model, but they were out.

I assume there are plenty of other great 1911's that I can't buy because they aren't MA compliant. Sadly, I don't think I saw a shop that had any MA compliant Springfields, Kimbers, or Sigs. I know Four Seasons carries the one Sig model, but they were out.

Opps, I didn't know Springfield 1911's aren't MA compliant. What makes them different then any other 1911? Trigger? Funny thing is that my Springfield is one of the guns I inherited from my dad when he passed and he lived on Cape Cod, it was also his carry.

My first was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 and I still grin every time I shoot it.

You didn't mention it but I'm just going to throw picking up a Mosin out there. Cheap gun. Cheap ammo. Ridiculously fun to shoot.[smile]

Opps, I didn't know Springfield 1911's aren't MA compliant. What makes them different then any other 1911? Trigger?

I honestly have no idea. Whatever random feature or spec that the AG says it must have that it doesn't, or doesn't enough, or does too much, or whatever. It's too bad, because I like the Springfields, and GFA has them, but they aren't shown as MA compliant so I guess they are for Internet sales. Likewise the Kimbers and some of the Kahrs.

It's for the children.

Last edited:
Just cause it took me a while to get my own and I have been enjoying it I suggest the 870 shotgun also.
With summer coming up you will have a clay shooter, when you want to hunt you have a gun and when you convert it over you can have a nice home defense gun. All 3 in a reasonable package cost that will be with you for many more years.

Back
Top Bottom