• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What makes the AR-15 style rifle the weapon of choice for mass shooters?

A post was just made to a video I've watched on YouTube. Scrolling through the comments, I found this one below. Probably fits in with Pelly's comments about the "bullets just explode".
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88vaxo3mqU&lc=UgjDSx503VkBfHgCoAEC.86_bq5EzQmn9OYxZFdKVwE

J Martin

J Martin

1 year ago
I am aware that this is an old video. We are now aware of the ballistic gel "dieseling effect". The natural fuel contained in typical ballistic gel 'can be detonated' from high speed impact in a somewhat similar manner to diesel being compressed in an engine with no spark plugs. Compress the fuel and bang, it detonates. This tiny detonation or miniature explosion and the resulting smoke and charring effect would probably not occur in the tissues of actual live animals.

Hide reply

The Machine Gun Channel

The Machine Gun Channel
1 year ago
Bingo!

Whoever posted that video as a rebuttal is giving way too much credit to Pelly. I couldn't re-watch the clip as I do not have the Paramount subscription.

That is some nasty ass gel. Clear ballistics gel should be clear and bubble free.
1623690199661.png

Lol most of the best balgel is not clear. The stuff tnoutdoors9 used to use was opaque...

Whoever posted that video as a rebuttal is giving way too much credit to Pelly. I couldn't re-watch the clip as I do not have the Paramount subscription.

That is some nasty ass gel. Clear ballistics gel should be clear and bubble free.
View attachment 492251
It wasn't posted as a rebuttal to Pelly. The original video was on the 77gr. A person commented below about the oils "dieseling" in the gel, causing an "explosion". I included the link to the test video. I was just wondering if when CBS did the testing, something like that happened, making the results much more "spectacular" for their hit piece.

It's the most popular rifle in america for many reasons. Statistics tells us the most sold model would be the most used for these rare occurrences of violence using a rifle.
Just as a follow up. The vehicle involved in the most fatal accidents over the past three years is the F150. Guess what vehicle was the top selling one for those three years. But maybe we should ban the F150, since it’s involved in so many fatal accidents.

Just as a follow up. The vehicle involved in the most fatal accidents over the past three years is the F150. Guess what vehicle was the top selling one for those three years. But maybe we should ban the F150, since it’s involved in so many fatal accidents.
That was exactly my point.

Actually the f series pickup is the number 1 selling vehicle in America.....sell more of those than any car in America.

Ten of the 17 most deadly mass shootings since 2012 used an AR-15, said WaPo In their end-of-March 20223 big AR-15 story week.

You can always tell cherry-picked statistics when they use inexplicable timeframes or counts to make their point. Why the last 11 years, since 2012? Why the last 17 most deadly mass shootings? Why the 10 victim cutoff? You don’t even have to look at the last 10/15/20 years, 15/20/25 most deadly mass shootings or 7/8/9 victim data to know that only the 11 years/17 mass shootings/10 victim combination was significant enough to make their claim. The card-tip was the “**Including a pregnant woman“ highlight for the N+1 factor.

7F31196A-28CA-46A8-B7DC-2341A33FBC14.jpeg

Didn't read the article. I can tell you ballistics is 100% not the reason.

These f*cked up people don't sit down and think "let's analyze the ballistics of 556 vs 308, 7.62x39 ... to see which one will kill more people" ... all BS to write something and get clicks. In my opinion, the answer is a lot simpler - what is a common rifle that every store carries, that accepts mags and can be had for cheap? While the AK is also readily available, it is not as common as an AR15. That is the reason, no need to get into mental gymnastics about ballistics and the planets aligning.

Last edited:

These f*cked up people don't sit down and think "let's analyze the ballistics of 556 vs 308, 7.62x39 ... to see which one will kill more people" ... all BS to write soemthing and get clicks. In my opinion, the answer is a lot simpler - what is a common rifle that every store carries, that accepts mags and can be had for cheap? While the AK is also readily available, it is not as common as an AR15. That is the reason, no need to get into mental gymnastics about ballistics and the planets aligning.
right.

It's the most common modern rifle in America, in its most common cartridge. Add to that the fact that it's constantly in the news, and that's what people know to look for.

It's like asking "why is the 4-banger Civic involved in so many accidents?" Because it's cheap, and readily available.

Ten of the 17 most deadly mass shootings since 2012 used an AR-15, said WaPo In their end-of-March 20223 big AR-15 story week.

You can always tell cherry-picked statistics when they use inexplicable timeframes or counts to make their point. Why the last 11 years, since 2012? Why the last 17 most deadly mass shootings? Why the 10 victim cutoff? You don’t even have to look at the last 10/15/20 years, 15/20/25 most deadly mass shootings or 7/8/9 victim data to know that only the 11 years/17 mass shootings/10 victim combination was significant enough to make their claim. The card-tip was the “**Including a pregnant woman“ highlight for the N+1 factor.

Yup... it's funny / terrifying what faith people put in to "stats". Numbers can be manipulated to show evidence of what ever you want them to show. Unless you see all the raw data and know the sample set, then never trust them.

Even this statement that the AR15 is the weapon of choice for mass shootings is flat out wrong. Since the definition of a mass shooting doesn't have a minimum number of "victims" defined, then any event that involves shooting can count. Note, that its' not even killings, but just where someone may have been shot can technically count. And that crime is most often committed with handguns.

Yup... it's funny / terrifying what faith people put in to "stats". Numbers can be manipulated to show evidence of what ever you want them to show. Unless you see all the raw data and know the sample set, then never trust them.

Even this statement that the AR15 is the weapon of choice for mass shootings is flat out wrong. Since the definition of a mass shooting doesn't have a minimum number of "victims" defined, then any event that involves shooting can count. Note, that its' not even killings, but just where someone may have been shot can technically count. And that crime is most often committed with handguns.
The mass murder bell-ringer for the US this century is still presently:

im-393992

Weapon: Airplanes

Some of the big stats packages allow one to code for cherry-picking. Take all data and analyze to find what conditions result in statistically significant findings. That’s OK to start, but one is supposed to then do tests to vary the correlated factors to see if significance holds or rises/falls smoothly. Like that guy who found that the 1994 AWB worked - but only if you look at mass killings of 8+ victims using 10+ round mags (data which is less often available). No matter, once the media/Left get that “fact” in press it never gets expunged.

The ends justifies the means for many with causes. Politifact calls such statements “Partly True” - the cherry-picked data result is true, but doesn’t generally apply to other cases. Like, the 5 states with the highest homicide rate have Everytown F ratings, so Weak Gun Restrictions = More Murders. Yet many Everytown F states have low homicide rates. No matter - ”Partly True” rather than “Misleading” or “False”.

Some of the big stats packages allow one to code for cherry-picking. Take all data and analyze to find what conditions result in statistically significant findings. That’s OK to start, but one is supposed to then do tests to vary the correlated factors to see if significance holds or rises/falls smoothly. Like that guy who found that the 1994 AWB worked - but only if you look at mass killings of 8+ victims using 10+ round mags (data which is less often available). No matter, once the media/Left get that “fact” in press it never gets expunged.

The ends justifies the means for many with causes. Politifact calls such statements “Partly True” - the cherry-picked data result is true, but doesn’t generally apply to other cases. Like, the 5 states with the highest homicide rate have Everytown F ratings, so Weak Gun Restrictions = More Murders. Yet many Everytown F states have low homicide rates. No matter - ”Partly True” rather than “Misleading” or “False”.
Most recent talking point for liberals is that guns are the number 1 cause of death for children.

It's blatantly not the case if you look at the CDC data, but you can manipulate that data easily to make it so, I did a lengthy post on this a few weeks ago in a different thread with links.

Bottom line: it's easy to lie with statistics and still be telling the truth on face value.

Last edited:
the problem or beauty (depending on your views) of the floating definition of mass shooting is you can use it in so many ways.
you can say that the AR15 is used in "most mass shootings"
you can say we have "hundreds of mass shootings a year"
without conflating facts, you cannot say both are true at the same time using the same data set.
if you want to say we have hundreds of mass shootings a year, you would have to admit that far and away pistols are "the weapon of choice for mass shooters"
if you want to say "the weapon of choice for mass shooters is the ar15", you cannot say we have hundreds of mass shootings per year.

Most recent talking point for liberals is that guns are the number 1 cause of death for children.

It's blatantly not the case if you look at the CDC data, but you can manipulate that data easily to make it so, I did a lengthy post on this a few weeks ago in a different thread with links.

Bottom line: it's easy to lie with statistics and still be telling the truth on face value.
The Left are at a point now where they'll simply fabricate out of bolts of whole cloth. It's just words from their wordholes.

Media hysteria created the AR15 trend, prove me wrong.

Way back in 1991 I was trying to shoot my Garand at the Redding 300 yard range and doing a poor job of it, I saw a few people shooting AR style rifles and thought I should get one. Then the Clinton election of 92 and the AWB madness convinced me that now was the time so I bought one from Bushmaster (still sucked at 300 yards though). In the early 90's I got a lot of crap when I brought it to the range from fellow shooters for having "one of those". When the AWB passed and the Govt said "No AR for You" suddenly everyone had to have one.

Keep in mind that Colt had been selling the AR in the civilian marketplace for over 20 years before the AWB hysteria with not great results. Now after being told they can't have one, or shouldn't have one, it's now the #1 selling, dare I say with a bullet, and what one out of every 6 guns sold is an AR?

This is a case of Unintended Consequences, that should be in marketing books

Keep in mind that Colt had been selling the AR in the civilian marketplace for over 20 years before the AWB hysteria with not great results. Now after being told they can't have one, or shouldn't have one, it's now the #1 selling, dare I say with a bullet, and what one out of every 6 guns sold is an AR?

This is a case of Unintended Consequences, that should be in marketing books

When I teach about the AWB, that's precisely how I teach it.

These AR-15 specific arguments are pretty lame. Sure, if you're gonna go on a murder-suicide spree, a magazine fed semi-auto rifle is probably the way to go, and AR-15's are the default choice, so to speak. But in an imaginary world where these guns aren't available, the next best alternative would still be more than adequate for the job.

You'd have to roll back many decades of technology before there would be any significant change in outcome in these mass shootings. Would it made a difference if the parkland shooter had a pump shotgun, a tube fed .30-30, or a couple of .38 snubbies? I doubt it.

Target selection seems to be the key driving factor in determining body count. The difference between the Dallas courthouse shooter and the Parkland shooter is that one choose a hard target and the other choose a soft target. Equipment is secondary.

One curious fact is that for determined mass killers, they seem to get the absolute highest body counts with commercial style trucks. Uhauls and whatnot. They get more of these in europe, there was a spate of them in the mid 2010's during the migrant crisis.

I wish there was a way to count how many ARs Obama and Biden have sold. Every time they say "Ban assault weapons!" they probably sell ten thousand more. Times however many times they say it, and it's a buttload of guns.

I have two chambered in .223 Wylde (20", scoped, and carbine w/ red dot), plus two spare stripped lowers. Plus a .308 AR "SASS" rifle built with an 80% lower.

All because some a-holes said I shouldn't have them.

These f*cked up people don't sit down and think "let's analyze the ballistics of 556 vs 308, 7.62x39 ... to see which one will kill more people" ... all BS to write something and get clicks. In my opinion, the answer is a lot simpler - what is a common rifle that every store carries, that accepts mags and can be had for cheap? While the AK is also readily available, it is not as common as an AR15. That is the reason, no need to get into mental gymnastics about ballistics and the planets aligning.
I agree. If they ran stats regarding what vehicle is most often used to commit a crime, it'll likely be something mundane like a Camry, Accord, Explorer, RAV-4, etc, for the same reason. Common, affordable and available.

I wish there was a way to count how many ARs Obama and Biden have sold. Every time they say "Ban assault weapons!" they probably sell ten thousand more. Times however many times they say it, and it's a buttload of guns.

I have two chambered in .223 Wylde (20", scoped, and carbine w/ red dot), plus two spare stripped lowers. Plus a .308 AR "SASS" rifle built with an 80% lower.

All because some a-holes said I shouldn't have them.
Exactly.

I bought my first “high capacity” handgun and AR when CT announced that they were going to ban them.

I’d looked at Glocks before, but every time I handled one I left it in the store.

Not knowing exactly what CT was going to do, I bought four pistols, two .22 rifles, a S&W AR, an assembled lower and a stripped lower.

Now I have close to a dozen Glocks, those original three ARs in CT, six more ARs in GA plus parts (including lowers).

And an ar10 in the works.

Just like you -

All because some a-holes said I shouldn't have them

Back
Top Bottom