• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What makes the AR-15 style rifle the weapon of choice for mass shooters?

It’s slanted, but not terribly inaccurate.
I don't entertain this garbage. Just because it's correct information about how firearms work doesn't matter when they're trying to make a point about why we shouldn't have a singular format. It's already known about handguns woeful inadequacies in terms of ballistics. As far as the ballistics they are basically circle jerking over in the article basically any rifle can achieve this. So any point to make it a reason as to why this rifle is more dangerous is an utter hit piece. Active-killer kits is an absolutely cancerous term designed to only have one effect when they attempt to explain it.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I don't entertain this garbage. Just because it's correct information about how firearms work doesn't matter when they're trying to make a point about why we shouldn't have a singular format. It's already known about handguns woeful inadequacies in terms of ballistics. As far as the ballistics they are basically circle jerking over in the article basically any rifle can achieve this. So any point to make it a reason as to why this rifle is more dangerous is an utter hit piece. Active-killer kits is an absolutely cancerous term designed to only have one effect when they attempt to explain it.

The repeated use of the term "AR15 bullet" really bugged me. As if the AR15 rifle confers special magical powers to the 5.56/.223 bullet. They should have called the article "9mm vs AR15 bullet ballistics."

Dont mind me, I'm gonna go buy some glock bullets now.

These AR-15 specific arguments are pretty lame. Sure, if you're gonna go on a murder-suicide spree, a magazine fed semi-auto rifle is probably the way to go, and AR-15's are the default choice, so to speak. But in an imaginary world where these guns aren't available, the next best alternative would still be more than adequate for the job.

You'd have to roll back many decades of technology before there would be any significant change in outcome in these mass shootings. Would it made a difference if the parkland shooter had a pump shotgun, a tube fed .30-30, or a couple of .38 snubbies? I doubt it.

Target selection seems to be the key driving factor in determining body count. The difference between the Dallas courthouse shooter and the Parkland shooter is that one choose a hard target and the other choose a soft target. Equipment is secondary.

Last edited:
These AR-15 specific arguments are pretty lame. Sure, if you're gonna go on a murder-suicide spree, a magazine fed semi-auto rifle is probably the way to go, and AR-15's are the default choice, so to speak. But in an imaginary world where these guns aren't available, the next best alternative would still be more than adequate for the job.

You'd have to roll back many decades of technology before there would be any significant change in outcome in these mass shootings. Would it made a difference if the parkland shooter had a pump shotgun, a tube fed .30-30, or a couple of .38 snubbies? I doubt it.

Target selection seems to be the key driving factor in determining body count. The difference between the Dallas courthouse shooter and the Parkland shooter is that one choose a hard target and the other choose a soft target. Equipment is secondary.
Well considering the Sante Fe high school shooter in TX who did have a pump shotgun and a .38 (not sure if you were referencing him) killed 10 people and wounded another 10. Yeah, they'd have to set us pretty far back. But even sending gun technology back to cowboy guns wouldn't change much given how fast lever guns can shoot and still be reloading assuming they have a kings gate. Or famously, Charles Whitman, having a Remington 700, an M1 carbine and a pump action rifle did incredible amounts of damage. None of those guns are even on the radar, but still worked just fine.

“the AR-15's high velocity ammo is the fear of every American emergency room“

Of course they do, all 5200+ of them collectively shit their scrubs at the mere though of AR ammunition.

What makes the AR-15 style rifle the weapon of choice for mass shooters?

The same thing that makes them the weapon of choice for anyone, they are really effective. Same reason offroaders buy Jeeps.

What makes it the 'popular' choice? It's in the news everyday by wingbats. It's not the best gun for almost anything other than a platoon level fighting force that can concentrate the firepower.

What would be a better choice? The AK, and I'm no AK fanboi. Short range on soft targets and accuracy isn't an issue. Hell, a shotgun would be a better choice.

What makes it the 'popular' choice? It's in the news everyday by wingbats. It's not the best gun for almost anything other than a platoon level fighting force that can concentrate the firepower.

What would be a better choice? The AK, and I'm no AK fanboi. Short range on soft targets and accuracy isn't an issue. Hell, a shotgun would be a better choice.

In terms of a wackjob killing unarmed, unprotected people that can't escape, ultimately none of this really matters. Guys with a few handguns have wiped out
tons of people.

-Mike

Is it actually the firearm of choice statistically, or are they just saying it is?
Well considering the number of rifle AND rifle related shootings versus handgun they are all dwarfed in comparison. Even in the defined “mass shooting” category. Since it only takes 3 to be a mass shooting by most definitions.

“the AR-15's high velocity ammo is the fear of every American emergency room“

Of course they do, all 5200+ of them collectively shit their scrubs at the mere though of AR ammunition.
Ask the FBI and the Montreal police about their experiences on the business end of plain-vanilla Ruger Mini 14s. Same cartridge, different platform. Inflicts the same amount of damage. ARs are singled out solely on appearance. Look badass and get treated as a. badass.

Ask the FBI and the Montreal police about their experiences on the business end of plain-vanilla Ruger Mini 14s. Same cartridge, different platform. Inflicts the same amount of damage. ARs are singled out solely on appearance. Look badass and get treated as a. badass.

There’s a fair amount of truth to this.

Pelley still pushes the bullets 'explode' shit, too. He waited to get that in there. Then the woman parrots it. Stopped watching there.

However, when I stand on my soap box I feel like Demi Moore in a Few Good Men, 'I strenuously object'. Then I end up having the judge call the witness an expert. LOL

The same thing that makes them the weapon of choice for anyone, they are really effective. Same reason offroaders buy Jeeps.

I thought that was so fanboys could bolt a bunch of chinese ebay crap on, never use it for its intended purpose, put pictures on instagram for internet fame points, let it rust, and then list on some lousy circlejerk forum for about 10x what it's actually worth.

I feel for all these victims of these a**h***s, but if this video showed hollowpoint 9mm, and a m1 garand with a 3006 soft point deer load, i think they would have lost their heads.. 5.56 ball does not do as much damage compared to a larger caliber.. or bullets specifically designed to expand.

I feel for all these victims of these a**h***s, but if this video showed hollowpoint 9mm, and a m1 garand with a 3006 soft point deer load, i think they would have lost their heads.. 5.56 ball does not do as much damage compared to a larger caliber.. or bullets specifically designed to expand.

That video also completely misses the fact that none of this actually matters, with soft targets and nobody shooting back. The survivability rate for victims in these
things is not going to be dramatically better from 9mm through .30-06 frankly. The guy at VT killed like 30 something people with 9mm ball ammo and a 22. Body count is more of a result of target venue/selection/layout/number of potential victims, etc. Those factors override pretty much everything vs the gun or ammunition
involved.

-Mike

True but the major difference is the velocity of the round. Whether or not you believe in hydrostatic shock a high velocity rifle round carries a lot more kinetic energy than a pistol round.

Shouldn't pelly be in jail? He was the one with the standard cap magazine in the boob tube story a while ago, correct?

True but the major difference is the velocity of the round. Whether or not you believe in hydrostatic shock a high velocity rifle round carries a lot more kinetic energy than a pistol round.
Don't forget. They accellerate the velocity...

Back
Top Bottom