What is the next big thing in milsurps?

Soxfan9

NES Member
I have been collecting milsurps for about 10 years, and have seen different things come and go. Is there anything new on the horizon to look forward to?

Eventually semi auto AKs will become C&R, unfortunately I think everything will be banned by then.[sad]
It seems like the last of the milsurp semi auto weapons have already shown up in the form of Ishy 308s and Yugo SKS rifles. There are tons of milsurps including a bunch of SVT40s left in Russia that will never see US soil. Plus Finland has a bunch too. Those just may wind up here as there was recently a good sized assortment of Finn Mosins imported.
I think we've seen all the Enfields, Mosins, Mausers, K31s, Steyr straight pulls, and standard milsurp rifles and those will probably continue to come in here and there. My prediction is someone will import a batch of semi autos.
Maybe FN49s, maybe SVT40s.

With the laws limiting the long guns coming into the country I have been wondering what handguns are approaching C&R age. If C&R's are still around in the next 5-10 years I would think there should be some interesting handguns becoming elligible. I haven't gotten around to doing the math yet.

I would love to see some SVT40's show up. Is there a reason why they are more likely to be imported from Finland than Russia?

As far as I know when it comes to firearms, nothing can come in from Russia. Finland on the other hand recently sold a US importer a bunch of Mosin Nagants.

Having thought about this thread and seeing a few of the people replying, I gotta believe the next big thing in milsurps is already here.... parts kits.

They will be the US Lend Lease rifles and 1911's that we left in the Phillipines and other countries after the war hopefully.

Re-reading this thread again I'm agreeing with pistols being the next C&R eligible goodies to come in. At 50 years or older we can give the big middle finger to the Mass laws.
Now if we can only get our law makers to let us have stuff like newer surplus but definitely pre ban pistols w/out leaning on suppliers, we'd be good to go. Theres soooo many nice and cheap milsurp pistols out there like Bulgarian Maks that companies won't sell to Mass because of the Doberman fangs guarding our children.[rolleyes]
In fact I just got an e mail the other day from one of my milsurp supliers about Romanian pistols coming back in on special pre order basis and was informed they won't be sent here because "folks are scared of yer laws" [frown]

In fact I just got an e mail the other day from one of my milsurp supliers about Romanian pistols coming back in on special pre order basis and was informed they won't be sent here because "folks are scared of yer laws" [frown]

These pistols lost their C&R status because to be imported into the states, they had to have safeties installed. No C&R means they'd have to be on on the EOPS and then meet AG regs. Fat chance.
1911's would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

These pistols lost their C&R status because to be imported into the states, they had to have safeties installed. No C&R means they'd have to be on on the EOPS and then meet AG regs. Fat chance.
1911's would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Romanian pistols I mentioned aren't C&R eligible, but are pre 98 handguns. Don't know if that means anything or not. I do know when I tried ordering a Bulgarian Makarov to be sent to an 01 FFL I was told by a certian distrubutor that they wouldn't send any handguns into Mass unless they were C&R no matter if they were pre ban.
As far as C&R eligible guns... take Nagant revolvers and CZ52s. They're over 50 years old and C&R eligible. If someone imported 50+ year old handguns wouldn't they be C&R too?

Pre-98 means nothing on handguns UNLESS:

a.) It was IN STATE on 10/21/98, OR

b.) It is on the EOPS LIST

Realizing that to get on the EOPS List, the MFR must submit NEW copies for destructive testing to labs. Ain't gonna happen with some obsolete gun, less likely for C&Rs that in many cases the original mfr no longer exists or was bought out.

C&Rs can be brought in only by C&R FFLs, assuming that a distributor/dealer will ship here. 01 FFLs can't sell them in their MA shops (unless one of the above applies).

They will be the US Lend Lease rifles and 1911's that we left in the Phillipines and other countries after the war hopefully.

"Lend-Lease" was a program to aid Britain. The Philippines were an American possession at the time. I'm betting most of the L-L rifles we gave the Brits were bolt guns and probably farmed out to its ex-colonies, like India, Burma, etc.

As for what we left in the Phillipines, who knows what condition such material is in by now.

Lend lease was used with a few countries as a way around the restrictions placed on FDR by congress at the time. it started with GB and was extended to the USSR with ton's of all kinds of weapons. (same for england semi auto's and full autos too. I know that the M1 Garand was adopted for limited Brit use)

We left Tons of materials in the far east after the war, PI included, but reimporting many of the items are difficult at best.

Eastern Europe is still the best location until the UN works their programs to destroy small arms. the prices will be going up unless some gov gets hard up for cash.

Thinking positive that there may in fact be some of our guns left over there. Let's just hope and pray that we can get them back here before they get destroyed by the anti's and UN pigs.

The Romanian pistols I mentioned aren't C&R eligible, but are pre 98 handguns. Don't know if that means anything or not. I do know when I tried ordering a Bulgarian Makarov to be sent to an 01 FFL I was told by a certian distrubutor that they wouldn't send any handguns into Mass unless they were C&R no matter if they were pre ban.
As far as C&R eligible guns... take Nagant revolvers and CZ52s. They're over 50 years old and C&R eligible. If someone imported 50+ year old handguns wouldn't they be C&R too?

These or at least some of the Romanian Toks were C&R by being over 50yrs old but the added safety squashed the status.

I thought C&R's were exempt from the AG's regs if the purchase is being made with a C&R license from a source out of state. I've never had a problem with C&R handguns being shipped to me.

Neither have I, what I had forgotten about was a non C&R pistol needing to be in Mass before the ban. Getting a supplier to ship a pistol thats not C&R eligible into Massachusetts to an 01 FFL is like pulling teeth. I found this out years ago by having a company ship an old Bulgarian Makarov here and they said they couldn't. Len's statement...

" Pre-98 means nothing on handguns UNLESS:

a.) It was IN STATE on 10/21/98, OR

b.) It is on the EOPS LIST

Realizing that to get on the EOPS List, the MFR must submit NEW copies for destructive testing to labs. Ain't gonna happen with some obsolete gun, less likely for C&Rs that in many cases the original mfr no longer exists or was bought out. "

reminded me of why they won't.
Speaking of which, where is the EOPS list?
And speaking of surplus pistols, I was reading this add from a web site:

NEW UNISSUED IN ORIGINAL FACTORY WRAP WALTHER P1 PISTOLS 9MM MADE FOR THE WEST GERMAN POLICE. P1 HAS ALLOY FRAME AND COMES WITH ONE ORIGINAL MAGAZINE IN FACTORY WRAP......$269.50 plus shipping

And was told that they are not C&R but they will ship to an 01 FFL. Does this mean the Walther P1 pistol is on the EOPS list?
Items like military/police pistols such as these are IMO the next big thing in milsurps. Thing is getting them in here.[thinking]
Once we find something ok to ship into Mass, group buy anyone? [smile]

M4M, I think there is a link to the EOPS List URL here . . . check the Gun Laws forum Stickies.

It is also a link on the FS website, check www.fsguns.com

I've tried some searching here and checked the links on FS' web site but everything I've found requires a program to view the file that for some reason my new PC doesn't have. Cursed home built super high power video gaming machine! [rolleyes] I'll have to try later on the wife's Dell and see if I can open the file and check the list.
I'm thinking the approved list (if not too large) should be something that should be made a sticky in the laws section, but I'm guessing its a large list. Than again this is Masachusetts we're talking about here so it could be pretty short.[thinking]
I would be interested in helping out in getting a group buy going for some milsurp/foreign police pistols. These pieces of history won't be around forever and with restrictions tightening neither will the purchasing ability.

P1-1.jpg

That thing is a beauty and I know there are lots of NESrs here that would be interstested in getting one if we can.

M4M, just download Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com and you'll be able to read the file. It's an industry standard program that is free and multi-platform.

Looks like a P1, NON-C&R (newer commercial version of the P38 IIRC) and will never be on the EOPS List.

The EOPS List is 10+ pages IIRC as each model is listed separately. It's released 2-3x/year, so it's not practical to have the list hosted on NES each time.

Back
Top Bottom