What is the best metal 80% for AR and for Glock (glock plastic of course)

hqdefault.jpg

6061 will be much easier to machine and have excellent corrosion resistance. 7075is far more difficult to machine but is stronger. However corrosion resistance not as good as 6061. Obviosuly from functional perspective both are just fine. If you are starting out then most definitely stick with 6061. Dont bother with 7075 until you have the process down pat.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the polymer 80 glocks. They frequently go on sale for 120 at midway so keep your eye open. They also appear relatively easy to finish. I’ve been meaning to get one.

Squared away customs which is based in NH makes some good looking dedicated holsters for the frames.

AR lowers are made from polymer (with reinforcement) to titanium. Aluminum will work, reinforced plastic will also work.

Glock lowers are not strictly plastic. I've built frames in steel for all calibers and sizes, but not anymore. There were both aluminum and steel glock frames, long ago as well. Plastic will work fine.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the polymer 80 glocks. They frequently go on sale for 120 at midway so keep your eye open. They also appear relatively easy to finish. I’ve been meaning to get one.

Squared away customs which is based in NH makes some good looking dedicated holsters for the frames.

The previous generation Polymer80 AR lowers had issues with the buffer tube threads being too tight. I have one sitting around that I absolutely could not run a buffer tube into no matter how much grease I put on those threads. I'm hoping they fixed that with the new generation, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out until they go on sale.

The previous generation Polymer80 AR lowers had issues with the buffer tube threads being too tight. I have one sitting around that I absolutely could not run a buffer tube into no matter how much grease I put on those threads. I'm hoping they fixed that with the new generation, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out until they go on sale.
Cut a step/notch axially in the threads of the buffer tube to act as a tap. Thread it in and it will clearance itself.

As for P80 Glocks the second revision of the frame is great. I actually prefer the p80 in my hand over stock glock. I used stock guts and a heavy armor barrel and slide. Just know you generally have to lube them up and break them in, working them by hand then run a few hundred at the range and its all good. The usual problem is the recoil spring cutout, make sure that's done well and you'll likely have no issues. I'm running fairly light 9mm reloads and having no problems.

I would never do a P80 AR......

The previous generation Polymer80 AR lowers had issues with the buffer tube threads being too tight. I have one sitting around that I absolutely could not run a buffer tube into no matter how much grease I put on those threads. .

I have the buffer tube tap. Have lent it out a few times for the same issue. If you'd like to borrow it, send along a PM.

Back
Top Bottom