What is the best 5.56 ammo?

What is your intended purpose? Match? Varmint? Defense?

I can't really speak for match or varmint, but for defense/zombies/whateverthehellyouwanttodo, many people either use XM193 or M855. M855 is a 62gr projectile with a steel penetrator, and the current NATO standard. XM193 is a 55gr FMJ projectile.

Both loadings are available from multiple manufacturers, but theoretically M855 should be M855.
Try both out of your rifle, and see which works best for you. If neither is satisfactory, keep shooting different shit til you find something that works.

Every gun is different and every ammo brand/load behaves differently in each gun.

There is no answer to your question. Just an endless loop of my ammo choice is better than yours.

Your best bet is to try samples of the popular ammo brands and see if one or more perform better in your riflr than others.

Barrel length and twist will give you a place to start. 1 in 9, try lighter rounds, 1 in 7, try heavier. I really like the Buffalo bore 62 gr hollow points for most general use.

DSC_2267.JPG

My rifle has never missed a beat from the cheapest to the best. I shoot the cheapest junk when I go to the range for fun but when I go for varmints(very rarely) I take the better ammo and make sure I sight in with the ammo I'm going to use during the hunt.

The barrel I'm using is a 200 dollar Model One so I'm not to worried about using it up. it's not a high dollar match barrel. If it was only the best ammo would go through it. My hand loads or Black Bear or higher quality will do. Remember more damage is done to barrels with a cleaning rod that any ammo. If you don't use a rod guide it's better not to even clean your rifle because of the damage you will do to the barrel. Look here--

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

for me any 5.56 thats in a 1000 round box and a price I am willing to pay. I have only base model Stag and a franken parts pig AR all eat,chew and shit everything I have put down them. So far best has been with some PPU and the IMI fodder thats been floating around 13.00/30 rounds given my skill set about 3" @ 100 yards

All good advice...I find that for training/plinking - Federal XM193 and Privi M193 is consistent shooting and hot. I shoot out of an LMT 1:7 however and shooting the Privi 62gr M855 has really let me dial in - my gun seems to like it better.

Back
Top Bottom