"What if" with election 1 gun a month comes back, C&R ramifications

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I realize that this is a "what if" but I worry or thrive on what if's.

With the reelection of Gov Patrick my feeling is that he will once again push for his one gun a month bill.

The question I have and I am not sure if it was covered before or not,

With a C&R we can buy from out of state having guns shipped directly to us, we then fill out the FA-10 and mail it in.
If the 1 gun a month comes back and passes what will the effect on the FA-10's be? Since the seller fills out the FA-10 and only dealers will be allowed to sell you a gun will only dealers be allowed to send in FA-10's?

Would the state accept a "Registration" only FA-10, since theoretically all transactions have to go through a dealer. As a C&R you have to follow all state laws so even though we can buy guns out of state, will we be able to legally, since all sales/transfers will have to go through a dealer and they would do the FA-10?

I know that we will have to wait to see, but this is the sort of thing I think about when I have nothing better to do.

My wife made a great comment, once the Dems got back in, she said I better start buying more guns, specifically collector or historical guns that we won't be able to buy if we have to go through a dealer as they were not owned in Mass before 98 or are not on the "list". Works for me,
any time I am encouraged to buy a gun is a good time! [laugh2]

I imagine registering more than 1 a month will get you sent directly to jail, do not pass go, do nit collect $200

Oh rest assured he WILL push it again...and this time with the way things are going I fear it may pass....they are riding a wave of invincibility here in MA.....God I hate MA and liberals....

So you - or your friendly neighborhood dealer - fill out the FA10, you retain your copy to supplement your bound book, and you mail off the Commonwealth's copy. A-and golly geez, it gets lost in the mail. Tsk.
Prolly in one of them dusty cartons in the back of the mail room.

This has been beaten to death before.

The devil is in the details of the implementation, so all we can do is engage in rampant speculation.

OGAM could be a paper law change that basically looks like a joke under any sort of scrutiny. On the other hand, certain changes could be snuck into MA gun laws that would be devastating, such as banning personal transfers and registrations.

Even despite all the BS going on it remains to be seen if he will try to burn more political capital he doesn't have bringing up OGAM again. Gun control, believe it or not, is not anything resembling a remote priority in the legislature right now.

My best guess is it will get reintroduced near the end of the next session, whenever that is.

The only saving grace is the legislature has kind of a general distaste right now with Deval. He can't exactly waltz in and get huge fundamental support for any of his bills. Him getting re-elected isn't going to make that distaste go away any time soon.

-Mike

Mike,
In the time I have been on this forum I have come to respect and value your opinion. Thanks for your feedback and having patience with me!

You touched on my fear in that they will ban personal transfers and registrations, requiring all to be done through a Dealer.

My plan is to watch to see if it comes back out of committee where it has gone to die in the last session and if it is resurrected then I will start a letter writing and phone call marathon to all the legislators. They know the voters are restless and may listen again.

Of course they also know that a bunch of $hithead$ reelected Barney!

FWIW I have no doubt that GOAL will come and alert us if this happens, and then we will start firing off letters and making calls to try to get it shot down, or at least cajole the legislature into ignoring it so it falls off the map like it did last time.

-Mike

My old man (NJ Resident, where the 1 gun per month law is in effect) told me that they're considering bringing concealed carry to NJ, and they're doing away with the 1 gun per month law, as well as the individual permits needed for firearms purchases.

What the liberals may already understand, is that any further restriction to our system is going to cost them money, and frankly, that's money they don't have.

I don't think this law will re-gain any traction in this (or any other) state, especially after NJ repeals it.

I looked into this somewhat based on the last version of the OGAM bill. The long and short of it is:

Ambiguous as to if a C&R FFL is sufficient to purchase more than one per month out of state - depending on how you read/interpret existing laws and the modifications, there are possibilities either way.

Would NOT prohibit registration. The portion of the law OGAM changed to require going through a dealer was the intra-state person to person transfers, which are required to be registered on an FA-10 form. The registration of out of state purchases is a separate portion of law that was not changed in the bill, and in fact doesn't require any particular form, just notification with certain information. That law would still be on the books with the last version of OGAM.

Back
Top Bottom