SBR form 1

Couple questions. Do you have to upload photos of the firearm?

Any spots in western MA to get prints scanned in?

Thank you!

You need to upload photos of the serial number, caliber (some lowers just have "MULTI"), and the manufacturing information... company and location are usually stamped or engraved. All the pictures I have ever sent were just the engravings, not an overall picture of the firearm.

Last edited:
How could you post pictures of a firearm which would be federal crime to make before you got the stamp to build the gun?

That'd be a horrible idea for a completed NFA firearm. But pictures of just a lower, or a rifle with legal barrel length that hasn't been modified or replaced yet, totally fine and normal.

You need to upload photos of the serial number, caliber (some lowers just have "MULTI"), and the manufacturing information... company and location are usually stamped or engraved. All the pictures I have ever sent were just the engravings, not an overall picture of the firearm.
There is no "need". Best practice may be to include a picture of the serialized portion that will be made into a SBR but there is no actual requirement. I know someone who has done 30+ SBRs and uploaded his first picture for his last one because the lower was not on the pulldown menu. He has had zero issues getting approved.

There is no "need". Best practice may be to include a picture of the serialized portion that will be made into a SBR but there is no actual requirement. I know someone who has done 30+ SBRs and uploaded his first picture for his last one because the lower was not on the pulldown menu. He has had zero issues getting approved.
It may not be necessary, but I advise it. I've done 20+ and when I first started I made many mistakes before I would finally send it off. I checked a few of my friends and relatives and caught mistakes like completely different serial numbers or one with a 5 instead of a 6 or a 6 instead of an 8. At worst you get an agent that tells you your serial number on the form doesn't match the picture and you correct it. Get it approved with the wrong serial number and not notice it, or worse, think it's no big deal, well it might be a big deal. But you're right, there is no need.

Good points above! With approval times as fast as they have been, I wonder if there is any difference on how fast approvals are of submissions with compared to without photos, if any? If you are confident you haven't made any mistakes, and photos or no photos make no difference in the approval times, you probably don't even need to bother. If approvals are consistently faster with photos, or consistently faster without photos, pick the faster method!

It may not be necessary, but I advise it. I've done 20+ and when I first started I made many mistakes before I would finally send it off. I checked a few of my friends and relatives and caught mistakes like completely different serial numbers or one with a 5 instead of a 6 or a 6 instead of an 8. At worst you get an agent that tells you your serial number on the form doesn't match the picture and you correct it. Get it approved with the wrong serial number and not notice it, or worse, think it's no big deal, well it might be a big deal. But you're right, there is no need.
I don't disagree that doing so is best practice. I was objecting to the assertion that it was required.

Couple questions. Do you have to upload photos of the firearm?

Any spots in western MA to get prints scanned in?

Thank you!
Dean safety does the eft print files at a better price than printscan. I wish I knew this info before I did mine. The printscan UPS stores are limited locations and some of the machines are a PITA and don’t work well. My son was at one for close to an hour because it would not read his pinky on either hand. Save yourself the hassle and go to the Mill.

Back
Top Bottom