• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What does a non-resident LTC cover?

Titan

Banned
Does a NH non-resident license to carry cover the holder in states that recognize reciprocity with NH or is reciprocity only honored for NH residents?

Some States only recognize Resident LTC's for reciprocity. So Yes, Some do and some don't

That's along the lines of what I'm looking for.

I'm well aware of handgunlaw.us.

That's what stimulated my question. I noticed that NH doesn't honor non-resident permits from other states. That causes me to suspect that many other states wouldn't recognize a NH non-resident licenses, in 'retaliation'.

The reason I ask is that I think many people who get the NH non-resident license (especially those living in MA) do so in the hopes of getting a license with broader acceptance in other states than their MA license.

MA doesn't recognize any other states, and therefore generally isn't recognized in return.

SO....my question really is whether or not the NH license is the 'solution' for MA residents who seek recognition in multiple other states, or is it just a license that allows MA residents to carry when in NH?

I know I can research coverage, state by state, using handgunlaw.us and other sites. What I was looking for was people's actual experience on how well accepted the NH non-resident license is. I guess I should have framed my question differently.

That's what stimulated my question. I noticed that NH doesn't honor non-resident permits from other states. That causes me to suspect that many other states wouldn't recognize a NH non-resident licenses, in 'retaliation'

According to the link provided in this thread. Of the 20 states that recognize the NH permit, only 4 do not. Keep in mind states change laws all the time, so some of the info may not be up to date.

Prior to NH raising the non-res fee to $100(within the past month) it was only $20 for 4 years. Well worth the cost. Compared to MA non-res of $100 per year it is still a better deal. I pay MA $100 every year for the "privilege" of exercising my right as an American.

I know I can research coverage, state by state, using handgunlaw.us and other sites. What I was looking for was people's actual experience on how well accepted the NH non-resident license is. I guess I should have framed my question differently.

I doubt you will find many people that have experienced a need to show a permit in their home state let alone while traveling. Most law abiding citizens seldom get stopped, questioned or frisked while going about their business. So it is doubtful many have had a need to show a permit. I know I never have. Once I get it it goes in my wallet and doesn't come out until I renew it. I could have carried in MA for a few years and saved the cost of the permit, but that wouldn't make me a law abiding citizen anymore, would it?

Last edited:
No, most MA residents who get a NH permit do so so that they can CCW legally in NH. Not so that they can carry in other states. FL and/or Utah are better for that purpose.

I was just reading up on Michigans laws and it states that they honor all other resident and non resident permits.
Is it safe to assume my MA or even my NH non resi permit are good there?

NH Non Res is honored in the following states

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming

www.usacarry.com is a good reference to find out what states honor.

I was just reading up on Michigans laws and it states that they honor all other resident and non resident permits.
Is it safe to assume my MA or even my NH non resi permit are good there?

Unless they speak a different language in Michigan, which they didn't the past few times I was there, "all" would include both your Mass resident and your NH non-resident.

Ken

Unless they speak a different language in Michigan, which they didn't the past few times I was there, "all" would include both your Mass resident and your NH non-resident.

Ken

I don't know, they have this thing they call "pop" and some kind of beverage
called "Vernor's" but other than that and the occasional "eh" you should be ok. [laugh]

I also think the NRA site is useful. http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

I don't know, they have this thing they call "pop" and some kind of beverage
called "Vernor's" but other than that and the occasional "eh" you should be ok. [laugh]

Oh darn you, I've got a craving for Vernor's now. There's a burger chain called "Halo Burger" there that makes a drink with Vernor's and vanilla soft-serve called the Boston Cooler that is just AWESOME. Their 'quarter-pounder with olives', while a definite artery-clogger, is heaven as well.

Did I mention I grew up in Detroit? [smile]

Doesn't make sense

Reciprocity laws don't make sense to me. One would think that holding a permit to carry consealed in a restrictive state would mean that permit would be recognized by other, less restrictive states, but far more often the oppisite is true. It seems like there is far less reciprocity for states with restrictive laws.

NH - Just Passing Through

I am a new Massachusetts LTC holder and I spend a lot of time in Maine. My plan is to apply for a Maine non-res LTC, but passing through the 15 mile stretch of New Hampshire on 95 poses a problem. There is no resiprocity between NH/MA or NH/ME. So, do I have to apply for a NH non-res just to drive through two New Hampshire towns on an interstate highway?

do I have to apply for a NH non-res just to drive through two New Hampshire towns on an interstate highway?

if you want to "carry it" you have to, but if you unload it, keep it in a locking container, with ammo seperate, then you can drive it into NH. When you get to maine, take it out and lock and load!!!

if you want to "carry it" you have to, but if you unload it, keep it in a locking container, with ammo seperate, then you can drive it into NH. When you get to maine, take it out and lock and load!!!

Actually, it doesn't need to be in a locked container. As long as it is unloaded and in plain view, it is considered open carry.

So, unload it and place it on the passenger seat. [wink]

Actually, it doesn't need to be in a locked container. As long as it is unloaded and in plain view, it is considered open carry.

So, unload it and place it on the passenger seat. [wink]

Yes when traveling from NH to Maine, because NH has open carry. Mass does not have open carry, so when going to Mass to NH it has to be unloaded and in a locked container, ammo seperate

Yes when traveling from NH to Maine, because NH has open carry. Mass does not have open carry, so when going to Mass to NH it has to be unloaded and in a locked container, ammo seperate

You are missing the point of the OP post.

I am a new Massachusetts LTC holder and I spend a lot of time in Maine. My plan is to apply for a Maine non-res LTC, but passing through the 15 mile stretch of New Hampshire on 95 poses a problem. There is no resiprocity between NH/MA or NH/ME. So, do I have to apply for a NH non-res just to drive through two New Hampshire towns on an interstate highway?

He is worried about the travel through NH. Like I said, just unload it and throw it on the passenger seat. Does not need to be locked. What MA requires does not matter.

Section 159:6
159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

159:4 Carrying Without License.
– No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/nhtoc/nhtoc-xii-159.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom