• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the shack today?

I finally took one of the China Freight cases that I've been saving for unknown reasons and put it to use. I wanted a case for the new MFJ tuner because I know I'll just throw it in a bag and abuse it if I didn't. So that's done. It almost fit in a 2800 size case, but the 3800 was a better fit.

If you're a club member, China Freight has the 1800 and 2800 sizes on sale right now. I'm probably gonna grab one of each.

Next up I think my LDG-AT200 needs a case. I've been stuffing it in a duffle bag when I need to bring it somewhere. That seems like a good strategy to end up ruining it.

Edit: Done. I have to take the cables off, but it fits in a 2800 size case. I was able to "fit" it in one layer of foam, so the lower level has a little cutout for the cables. Now to take the heat gun to it and get all the labels off.

1709998236940.png

Last edited:
Wanted to play with a X6100 I got recently. I bought it mainly because it looked like something I could hack the hardware and software on it. Which I've started doing. It's linux, and has a serial console, SSH and FTP enabled on it. Haven't really used it much, so I put up a whip in the back yard tuned to 15 meters. Didn't want to connect it to my current set up. Wanted to QRP in the backyard. Didn't try too hard, but I was able to chat with people around the US using 10 watts (external battery) on "20" meters. Wasn't interested in doing any DX in the moment.

Wanted to play with a X6100 I got recently. I bought it mainly because it looked like something I could hack the hardware and software on it. Which I've started doing. It's linux, and has a serial console, SSH and FTP enabled on it. Haven't really used it much, so I put up a whip in the back yard tuned to 15 meters. Didn't want to connect it to my current set up. Wanted to QRP in the backyard. Didn't try too hard, but I was able to chat with people around the US using 10 watts (external battery) on "20" meters. Wasn't interested in doing any DX in the moment.
Did you work VT today?

I swung by China Freight today and picked up an 1800 size case. It's perfect for my little QRP tuner, with room for extras. I haven't figured out just yet what that is going to be. While it's obviously bigger than just the tuner, I was wrapping it in bubble wrap before so I'm really not adding a ton of bulk. Plus I can fit some other stuff in there.

After I took this picture I realized there's another layer of foam, so I was able to set it down a little more.

1710028103219.png

I think I went a little overboard with these cases today.

Did you work VT today?
No, mostly towards the west or south west. I wasn't trying too hard, just wanted to see if I could reach "anyone" with the setup. Mainly the whip, which I had never used before (this specific one). I mean some of it was duct taped together. It wasn't a planned thing, just kind of evolved when I was out in the garage and the unopened antenna was there. I set the antenna up for 15 meters using a AA-2000 ZOOM, but ended up working 20 meters. The builtin antenna tuner got me within working parameters.

No, mostly towards the west or south west. I wasn't trying too hard, just wanted to see if I could reach "anyone" with the setup. Mainly the whip, which I had never used before (this specific one). I mean some of it was duct taped together. It wasn't a planned thing, just kind of evolved when I was out in the garage and the unopened antenna was there. I set the antenna up for 15 meters using a AA-2000 ZOOM, but ended up working 20 meters. The builtin antenna tuner got me within working parameters.
I was in VT and worked a station on 12 or 15m today. He had a whip and 10w. I guess it's possible that two people in the country might have been using a whip antenna and 10w today. I guess.

I think he might have been in Colorado though. He was coming in 59+.

I was in VT and worked a station on 12 or 15m today. He had a whip and 10w. I guess it's possible that two people in the country might have been using a whip antenna and 10w today. I guess.

I think he might have been in Colorado though. He was coming in 59+.
Didn't work VT. Wasn't trying to make a lot of contacts, just seeing if I could reach anyone. I was in the garage, and basically was saying, "I should be able to set up with just using the cra., uh stuff, that I had in the garage." A whip antenna I had never opened, some extra coax, a battery, some wire, and the radio. I did dig out the antenna analyzer, although the X6100 has enough functionality to get something going. So, could have just gone with that.

I've only ever had to replace one starter and it was the middle of February. I remember laying on the ice in the driveway trying to get the finest pitch bolts out one ratchet click at a time. The 1/4" ratchet was the only tool that would fit.

It was the FT-818. I had an external battery, so I was able to turn it up to 11, i.e. 6w. I wish I had a picture to help illustrate.

The radio and tuner were sitting on a fake pelican case on the ground. Originally I had the radiating wire and counterpoise headed back from the tuner, and I think that was fine. I was getting nothing though, so I moved the counterpoise 90 degrees, perpendicular to the radiating element, passing behind the radio (away from the trail). That was bad, and that's where I thought maybe RF was the problem. So I moved the counterpoise the other way, which was toward the trail. That was much better, but not 100%.

Eventually I got QRMed off of 30 by the Futurama Hypnotoad, and moved down to 40 where I had no problems except cold hands. Coincidentally the tuner had a great match on 40.

Oh, I should have mentioned I brought my EarCandy CW filter and it worked so well. The only way I knew I had nearby signals was when the S-meter would jump up for no reason.
What, pray tell is a 30 meter Futurama Hypnotoad? :)

This. I have heard it a few times now on 30m. It wipes out almost the entire band. I even started a thread about it.

View: https://youtu.be/oPJTZdA7t3U

This. I have heard it a few times now on 30m. It wipes out almost the entire band. I even started a thread about it.

View: https://youtu.be/oPJTZdA7t3U

Oh OK...I remember when you posted that. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I just did a little research on this and found this...It's on reddit so YMMV. There is a thought that it is a new and improved Woodpecker OTH Radar. Supposedly it's a "29B6" radar, a modern woodpecker descendant. Container radar - Wikipedia

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/15ynx7b/30m_is_wiped_out_by_radar/

Last edited:
I found this little mount for the American Morse Equipment paddle. I've been wrestling with it all winter because the base I made for it was too big then I cut it down and it was too small. Then I glued magnets on and they weren't strong enough. It would get cold as hell holding it the whole time. And there aren't a lot of places to hold it that don't end up sending when you don't mean to.

I definitely could have made this out of anything else, but it was kind of nice to download, kick off the printer, eat dinner, and it was done. I gave it a light sanding and countersunk the holes when it was done.

It's got a few holes on the bottom so you can adjust the angle (see how it looks crooked?). The slop of the strap in the slots gives you a little more room to adjust the angle. I wish I'd made this before the winter.

1710038871254.jpeg

I just did a little research on this and found this...It's on reddit so YMMV. There is a thought that it is a new and improved Woodpecker OTH Radar. Supposedly it's a "29B6" radar, a modern woodpecker descendant. Container radar - Wikipedia

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/15ynx7b/30m_is_wiped_out_by_radar/

That's probably it. From the other thread:

<snip> it was almost like a jammer. Like a nonstop pileated woodpecker.

Maybe the FCC can send Putin a sternly worded letter.

Well, I got the new encoder wired in and the 857 is back in fighting shape. I tried to help the tiger striped screen while it was apart but that didn't do anything. Most importantly I replaced the damaged encoder. I didn't print new side rails for it, maybe that's today's project. I seem to remember them taking a long ass time, so I best hop to it.

The hardest part was cutting the connector off the old part and cutting the wires on the new part. Any screwups and I wasn't going to have much wire left to work with. But it worked out just fine. I brushed on a few layers of liquid electrical tape to cover the connections and it's right as rain.

My unobtainium CW filter for the 857 arrived today. The soldering looks a little sloppy and a few pins are shorted. They look intentionally shorted but I'm trying to find a schematic or even a picture of the back side of one to confirm. It's an aftermarket one made by W4RT, whose website seems to be gone now.

Screw it, I just installed it and with it sitting on my lap I can tell there's a change to the audio with it selected/not selected. I'll have to give it a try on the air later tonight.

Update: I just connected it up and when I turn on the filter it just filters everything, including the signal I'm tuned to. S-meter drops to 0. So something is wrong. I hope this wasn't a colossal waste of money and excitement.

Update #2: Like a retard I installed it upside down. I even said "Don't install it upside down like all the retards who do that and then it doesn't work". I just flipped it over and it works much better. Dumb ass.

Last edited:
My unobtainium CW filter for the 857 arrived today. The soldering looks a little sloppy and a few pins are shorted. They look intentionally shorted but I'm trying to find a schematic or even a picture of the back side of one to confirm. It's an aftermarket one made by W4RT, whose website seems to be gone now.

Screw it, I just installed it and with it sitting on my lap I can tell there's a change to the audio with it selected/not selected. I'll have to give it a try on the air later tonight.

Update: I just connected it up and when I turn on the filter it just filters everything, including the signal I'm tuned to. S-meter drops to 0. So something is wrong. I hope this wasn't a colossal waste of money and excitement.

Update #2: Like a retard I installed it upside down. I even said "Don't install it upside down like all the retards who do that and then it doesn't work". I just flipped it over and it works much better. Dumb ass.
Been there... [rofl]

It was a warm night so I setup in the back yard and played with the manual tuner and tested out the CW filter. The bands weren't super crowded so sometimes I turned it off so I could find people but eventually I was trying to work someone and suddenly a strong station moved in nearby and the AGC killed the signal. I flipped on the 300 Hz filter and I was back in business. Success!

Another outdoor shack couple of days here. I blew off work early on Thursday and got the Mountain Topper on the air. I know I've already covered the single lever paddle from CW Morse, but man was I initially wrong about those. Yes it's 3D printed, but it works really well. If anyone would like to gift me a Begali I'd happily do a comparison, but lacking that I'm happy with it. It's light/compact, I can comfortably hold it without sending errant elements, and it's not cold to the touch.

Here's my shack on Thursday.

1710598149271.png

My itch wasn't scratched, so Friday I went out again. After that hella wind we had the last few weeks there were some pretty sizable pines down across the trail. The first storm dropped one that wasn't too bad to get around, but the second storm made for a pretty good obstacle. So I brought my Silky Katanaboy with me to make some room.

It's hard to tell, but I'd say the two trees were about 10-12" diameter. Notice how the tree in the second pic no longer lines up. There was some decent pressure on that one that was just dying to pinch the saw and/or throw the tree at my face. Fortunately hand saws are slow and it went smoothly.

1710598326158.png

1710598371421.png

I've been tempted to buy a cheap battery chainsaw for stuff like this. But the Katanaboy is light, sharp AF, and easy to pack in. It has a 500cm blade (~20") that gits er dun.

As for radio, I was doing well on Friday until 30m dried up and I attempted to get back on 20m. The reverse beacon was suddenly not hearing me. I could hear signals, but I was not getting out (even the RBN wasn't reporting me). Lacking an SWR meter or analyzer, I called it a day. I was using a linked EFHW I made specifically for this radio. It's native configuration is 30m, then the link gives me 20m and 40m. It's a bit of a hassle in the branch infested woods to reconfigure but three bands with one antenna is nice. I just have to test it out and see if something is messed up with it.

I've tried dipoles and they're okay, but I can't get them up very high without wires just completely tangled in the branches. Maybe the random wire and tuner are the way to go in the thicker woods.

That's probably it. From the other thread:

Maybe the FCC can send Putin a sternly worded letter.

Is this thing also on 10 Meters? I swear I just heard this repetitive thing on around 28.400-.436 or so.

So, I put on the 10M again, but only for one contact so far, and off to dinner.

Last edited:
Is this thing also on 10 Meters? I swear I just heard this repetitive thing on around 28.400-.436 or so.

So, I put on the 10M again, but only for one contact so far, and off to dinner.
I don't think so but I don't know that I looked. I had some hella noise on 10 the other night though. Something local I think because I was talking with a friend maybe 8 miles away and he didn't hear it. On and off every few seconds. It was horrible, and long after dark so not solar.

I don't think so but I don't know that I looked. I had some hella noise on 10 the other night though. Something local I think because I was talking with a friend maybe 8 miles away and he didn't hear it. On and off every few seconds. It was horrible, and long after dark so not solar.
According to Wikipedia, it's freq range 3-30 MHz..see side bar.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

It would be fun to talk to someone in Ireland today. Any way of finding someone available there on different frequencies?

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

It would be fun to talk to someone in Ireland today. Any way of finding someone available there on different frequencies?
"CQ DX, CQ DX, Looking for Ireland. This is ..."

You may have to call for a while, and narrowing your aperture to Ireland only may be disappointing. But "CQ DX" will at least get you responses from outside the US.

"CQ DX, CQ DX, Looking for Ireland. This is ..."

You may have to call for a while, and narrowing your aperture to Ireland only may be disappointing. But "CQ DX" will at least get you responses from outside the US.
Yup. I wasn't sure if there are people from Ireland who can be found on certain frequencies regularly, or something like that.

Thanks anyhow! 🍀

Some bands have a DX window where it's common to look for DX contacts. I don't know if it's always the case or not, but I think it has to do with where frequencies overlap between countries. Like on 40m we have up to 7.300 but other countries only have up to 7.200.

Oh I just meant I didn't think the interference was on 10m. I've only ever heard it on 30m.
You could be right, who knows. I was just pointing it out. I'll try to remember to check that frequency range again later and see if it is still there or gone.

Back
Top Bottom