• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I have the Lee stand, and got it on sale for under $100 a bit ago. I currently use a turret and a single stage. I like that the unused press sits on the bottom shelf. It is very mobile and I didn't have to give up any workbench space. I have two solid concrete blocks as ballast which is generally enough when priming cases, but there is the occasional time when I "lift" the stand a bit. The other dies are no issue at all and the stand is solid.

I believe Queen Bee set up a stand using a drill press/grinder stand. Not sure, but you may want to search that. I do know it was around $50.

I currently have a turret and a single stage mounted directly to a wooden bench (~250 lbs w/ 4 cinder blocks).

The bench is attached to a poured concrete wall with two honkin steel L-brackets. I think you could literally square dance on it and it wouldn't budge.

I don't think extra holes in the bench would bother me if I had to move things around. Good luck !

Debated starting a thread but figured I'd just post it here, since it impacts my "reloading room."

I'm in the process of building a new workbench, and I'm wondering what everyone's stances are on how they mount their presses.

Should I just mount my single stage to the new bench, or get a reloading stand, or mount it to some random smaller wood pieces and clamp that onto the bench?
Some thoughts...

Build the bench as sturdy as you can... weight is your friend. Get the bench attached to a wall somehow.. You don't want it flexing.

Consider the top of your reloading bench a consumable item.. I mean, it's a workbench, don't be afraid to poke some holes in it or get it greasy. You can always plug any rogue holes as well.

I've always made my benches standing height, so for me that's 48". Can't use a press mount or it's mounted too high, so I bolt them directly to the bench. Add some additional 2x4s underneath if need be.

The last bench I built has the top overhang 1.5inches in the front. The one before that didn't. This is for 2 reasons. 1> easy to clean up any spills, loose items, just sweep them into your hand. 2> I screwed in a section of 2x4 so it's flush to the overhang, and this is where I mounted my single stage press. Just a little more support there.

Last edited:
Some thoughts...

Build the bench as sturdy as you can... weight is your friend. Get the bench attached to a wall somehow.. You don't want it flexing.

Consider the top of your reloading bench a consumable item.. I mean, it's a workbench, don't be afraid to poke some holes in it or get it greasy. You can always plug any rogue holes as well.

I've always made my benches standing height, so for me that's 48". Can't use a press mount or it's mounted too high, so I bolt them directly to the bench. Add some additional 2x4s underneath if need be.

The last bench I built has the top overhang 1.5inches in the front. The one before that didn't. This is for 2 reasons. 1> easy to clean up any spills, loose items, just sweep them into your hand. 2> I screwed in a section of 2x4 so it's flush to the overhang, and this is where I mounted my single stage press. Just a little more support there.
These are some good points and ideas, thanks.

I have a bench in basement that isn't great, but is functional.

I do the vast majority of my reloading on my little homade bench. I use wing nuts and threaded rods to mount so I can remove/replace presses at will.

The top is two pieces of 3/4 plywood. The base has a central 2x6 that I either put my feet on or stack a bin of cases on to add ballast if I'm resizing bottle neck rifle brass. No ballast needed for straight wall pistol.

I made this by grabbing my 4 most common presses, picking a size where I could mount one on each side and built it out of scrap wood I had laying around.

Currently mounted are a 9mm SDB, RCBS single stage and a Lee 4 Hole Turret setup in .223

20210622_193650.jpg

20210622_194118.jpg

20210622_194133.jpg

I have a bench in basement that isn't great, but is functional.

I do the vast majority of my reloading on my little homade bench. I use wing nuts and threaded rods to mount so I can remove/replace presses at will.

The top is two pieces of 3/4 plywood. The base has a central 2x6 that I either put my feet on or stack a bin of cases on to add ballast if I'm resizing bottle neck rifle brass. No ballast needed for straight wall pistol.

I made this by grabbing my 4 most common presses, picking a size where I could mount one on each side and built it out of scrap wood I had laying around.

Currently mounted are a 9mm SDB, RCBS single stage and a Lee 4 Hole Turret setup in .223

View attachment 494790

View attachment 494792

View attachment 494793
Nice. I'm leaning more towards just mounting my press directly to the new bench or trying the clamping method first.
I was worried--and your pictures kind of reinforce it--that it'd be kind of annoying not to have a place for incidentals like calipers, etc.

With a stand they wouldn't be too far away, but a few extra steps or movements, taken in aggregate over hundreds/thousands of rounds, can definitely add up.

The current plan is to make my new bench about eight feet wide, my other consideration was where to put my vice and where to put my powder dispenser.

Nice. I'm leaning more towards just mounting my press directly to the new bench or trying the clamping method first.
I was worried--and your pictures kind of reinforce it--that it'd be kind of annoying not to have a place for incidentals like calipers, etc.

With a stand they wouldn't be too far away, but a few extra steps or movements, taken in aggregate over hundreds/thousands of rounds, can definitely add up.

The current plan is to make my new bench about eight feet wide, my other consideration was where to put my vice and where to put my powder dispenser.

If I'm doing precision rounds like 77gr SMKs I do not use the above bench. I use the larger one in basement. Single stage. Hand weigh each powder charge on a Chargemaster, etc. That's a much more process controlled task than banging out training ammo.

That said even my "production" .223 training ammo is sub moa under 200yds with mixed brass. Way better than whatever you would buy in bulk.

Tested some 357 magnum 158 grain Zero Bullet over N350 reloads and compared accuracy to some of my existing reloads in my Henry. This was with irons at 25 yards. Man, that rifle loves those "Hornady-HAP" style 125 grain Zero JHPC's in .357 magnum brass loaded over 7.5 grain Universal. That was the load I shot a sub-MOA 5-shot group at 100 with (using a scope, of course). Looks like the 8.5 grains of N350 is the winner, though they all felt very lightweight to me. Also looks like the 38 special 125 grain Missouri TCFP's are about the same or better over 7.5 grains of N350 as they are over 7.5 grains of Auto Pistol, if you ignore the flyer in the N350 group, which could have been due to bullet weight variation.

targ.jpg

As I was loading those, I got to thinking maybe I could be getting some variation in seating depth on the Zero JHPs due to the stiffness of the brass and slight mashing of the soft hollow-point. I'm using the flat-point seating stem with my Hornady seater die. The other stem is a very poor fit and doesn't even touch the jacket anyway, so it's all soft lead contact with either stem. I had another stem, though, so I decided to try to make a durable, special-purpose seating stem for the thousands of Zero JHPs I have yet to load. Used epoxy and a sleeve cut from a 38 special case. Filled the hollow point with wax. If the bullet and sleeve release like they're supposed to, I'll see how it well it seats. Otherwise, I guess I'll be soaking it acetone to get the epoxy out.

IMG_0892.jpeg

My stupid interia puller finally broke into a million pieces on my basement floor. I grabbed an RCBS puller with the collets. Still time consuming, but much better and cleaner process.
Damn. I’m hoping my frankford Arsenal inertia puller won’t break. Only have like 100 rounds left. I have a Hornady collet die puller but it doesn’t work with coated/lead bullets. Works okay for jacketed though. And very well for rifle bullets

Debated starting a thread but figured I'd just post it here, since it impacts my "reloading room."

I'm in the process of building a new workbench, and I'm wondering what everyone's stances are on how they mount their presses.

Should I just mount my single stage to the new bench, or get a reloading stand, or mount it to some random smaller wood pieces and clamp that onto the bench?

I have room for the stand and it would free up the table top, I suppose, although it's not something I "need" for space concerns or anything.
The clamping onto the bench idea I thought might give me some flexibility; I wouldn't have to drill through the bench top and alter it permanently if I wanted to move things around or change presses down the line.

I'm wondering how sturdy clamping it would work. I'm thinking with enough clamps it'd be stable.
Or do people that have stands really like them? The Lee one is apparently $120-$140 and has decent enough reviews.

I guess a stand would let me be somewhat mobile although I don't envisage a scenario where I'm going to need to move the press into a different room and actually load with it. I don't want to try to justify $120-$140+ for no reason.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just mount it to the bench itself?

ETA: Just running a single stage at the moment although I've put off getting a progressive for about four years now. Maybe a progressive could go on a stand in the future. I could always try the clamp route and if it's no good, mount it directly.
good clamps on 3/4" bases are solid.
I bought T track to install on my small bench , I just have not had time or drive to install it.

View: https://youtu.be/PLBGZIJwCOE

In IIRC line fabrication has some good choices for quick mounts.

My problem is space, i need to build a shelf somewhere to mount the presses not in use out of the way. My small space is so full of my stuff i lack ambition because it would take a day or two of rearranging every thing just to make space to work and install the shelves.

Last edited:
In IIRC line fabrication has some good choices for quick mounts.

My problem is space, i need to build a shelf somewhere to mount the presses not in use out of the way. My small space is so full of my stuff i lack ambition because it would take a day or two of rearranging every thing just to make space to work and install the shelves.

I am in a similar situation: small space for reloading. I have a Inline Fabrication Quick Change setup for my Rock Chucker and Lee App. The dillon 650 is already mounted to dedicated bench but they sell plates for it. It's not cheap but if bench space is a premium it is good solution.

Last edited:
50 more rounds of .44 MAG last night on the single stage, with stepped increases in charge.

Now, back to work. As I've said - this "work" thing is really cutting into my reloading time. :D

View attachment 494919
FIFY

Now, back to work. As I've said - this "work" thing is really cutting into my "THERAPY" time. [wave]

Loaded up some more test rounds of 200 grain RNFP's in 45 Colt over N350 and Auto Pistol. Before I was just testing for pressure and velocity. This time I wanted to get some velocity data on the untried Auto Pistol loads, yes, but altogether I was more interested in accuracy in my Henry BB in 45 Colt.

Accuracy sucked.

I seem to recall they were measuring out at .4525" in diameter, and running at 1560-1645 fps out of that barrel (happens to be 1:16 twist), they weren't tumbling that I could see, not that I had reason to expect it. With the hotter Auto Pistol load I was getting really consistent velocities (sd = 5.9). But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and they were ranging over about 12+ MOA. Not sure if they'd tighten up if I ran them slower or what, but I don't think I'm going to spend any more time trying to make these run well in my .45C rifles. Just to be sure, I shot a group with my 300gr TCFPs, and put 4 shots a 1" square at 55 yards with one flier, probably about as well as I can shoot with irons.

I'll probably load these 200 grain bullets up someday in 45 ACP with a fast powder.

I am in a similar situation: small space for reloading. I have a Inline Fabrication Quick Change setup for my Rock Chucker and Lee App. The dillon 650 is already mounted to dedicated bench but they sell plates for it. It's not cheap but if bench space is a premium it is good solution.
My "bench" is a 30" cabinet. Stuck between the Hot WH and oil tank. The rest of all my stuff is bewteen the burner and wall about arms length.
Refresh I forgot, i moved the "bench" in front of the oil tank and put tbe small roll cart in between the HWH and Tank.
It will all get moved around again.

Another good hour at the range this morning (before work). Tested out three more loads of Alliant SP (25', strong hand). Power factor is a creepin' up........:D

I'm liking this Model 629 snub more than I ever would have imagined. The sight's not pinned - so I need to fiddle with it.

LOAD 5 - 240gn FP (HS), 5.3 gn Alliant SP, 44 MAG Everglades OF case
{"velocity":682,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:29 04:00"}
{"velocity":701,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:33-04:00"}
{"velocity":691,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:35-04:00"}
{"velocity":677,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:39-04:00"}
{"velocity":671,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:41-04:00"}
{"velocity":683,"date":"2021-06-25T09:15:43-04:00"}
mean = 684, standard deviation = 10.6, PF = 164

LOAD 6 - 240gn FP (HS), 5.6 gn Alliant SP, 44 MAG Everglades OF case
{"velocity":788,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:40-04:00"}
{"velocity":734,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:42-04:00"}
{"velocity":760,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:44-04:00"}
{"velocity":749,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:48-04:00"}
{"velocity":783,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:50-04:00"}
{"velocity":736,"date":"2021-06-25T09:23:52-04:00"}
mean = 758, standard deviation = 21.1, PF = 181

LOAD 7 - 240gn FP (HS), 6.2 gn Alliant SP, 44 MAG Everglades OF case
{"velocity":811,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:32-04:00"}
{"velocity":792,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:38-04:00"}
{"velocity":809,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:41-04:00"}
{"velocity":788,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:45-04:00"}
{"velocity":789,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:48-04:00"}
{"velocity":802,"date":"2021-06-25T09:26:52-04:00"}
mean = 798, standard deviation = 9.3, PF = 191

First 12 shots - they were all pretty much the same. Missed the plate few times......but it feels like it's tightening up.

25_Jun_2021_1.jpg 25_Jun_2021_2.jpg

Last edited:
As part of my rifle brass processing, I wash the cases after re-sizing. Then I dry them in the oven for a bit. Then trim.

I had just tuned up the powder measure in my 550, so I was anxious to load some ammo.

FF a week and I am shooting that ammo, loading each round one by one in an AR. I was experiencing short stroking issues. When the bolt did hold open, it was catching on the follower.

So I pull some of the ammo apart, thinking maybe my powder measure wasn't throwing out enough powder. Start dumping out cases and noticed there's powder clumping in the bottom of the case. In going from the warm oven to my cold basement, there must have been some moisture still left in the case when I started loading them.

I pulled a bunch, made sure the cases were empty and dry, then loaded them again on the 550. No issues.

So I need to pull about 250 more..... Fortunately I can recover all of the components, including the powder.

Last edited:
Last edited:
What I love is that they haven’t raise their prices in the seven years that I’ve been buying from them. It’s amazing they can make up profit selling them that cheap
I actually still have my Zero sample packs.
When @Len-2A Training was moving I bought something like 500 38 spl projectiles from him, so I haven't exhausted those yet. But, I know the Zeros are very popular.

I shoot them out of my 1980-made pinned/recessed Model 15.

I actually still have my Zero sample packs.
When @Len-2A Training was moving I bought something like 500 38 spl projectiles from him, so I haven't exhausted those yet. But, I know the Zeros are very popular.

I shoot them out of my 1980-made pinned/recessed Model 15.
I was/am selling off all my reloading stuff. I still have some projectiles left but will figure out what I have and list them at some time in the future.

When I was shooting and reloading a lot, I bought and shot thousands of Zero bullets. They all ran very well. This was many years ago and I can only hope that the quality today is the same.

Haven't done anything reloading related except accumulate projectiles. Summer heat is approaching and that is the time I usually dedicate most to staying indoors in air conditioning at the press.
I threw this new bedside accessory together last night.
image.jpeg
7.5 inch chambered in 5.56 NATO. Anderson upper and lower receivers and LPK, Bushnell red dot on top. Magpul K grip, ( the ergonomics of that grip are excellent for short pull guns), UTG window mag, KAK brace. I forget the barrel, Ohunt front end. BCG is a Palmetto premium.

Will take it out back this morning and run a few hundred rounds through it and break it in.

Ya, the serial is visible.....big deal. So is every serial in every gun shop in the country😊

Still need to add the light.

Last edited:
Haven't done anything reloading related except accumulate projectiles. Summer heat is approaching and that is the time I usually dedicate most to staying indoors in air conditioning at the press.
I threw this new bedside accessory together last night.
View attachment 495966
7.5 inch chambered in 5.56 NATO. Anderson upper and lower receivers and LPK, Bushnell red dot on top. Magpul K grip, ( the ergonomics of that grip are excellent for short pull guns), UTG window mag, KAK brace. I forget the barrel, Ohunt front end.

Will take it out back this morning and run a few hundred rounds through it and break it in.

Ya, the serial is visable......big deal. So is every serial in every gun shop in the country😊
So did you add up your score yet?

Back
Top Bottom