• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I got 2000 Summit City 200 swc .45 and loaded 500 over 5.1 g WST. Summit has completed two orders of these in May and I'm still waiting for the order from Ibejiheads I placed in April.

View attachment 493070View attachment 493071
Well if it’s any consolation, I just received my ibejiheads order on Monday… and I ordered it at the end of April… seems like they might be starting to catch up…. Because the prior order took more than 3 months to get.

I finally polished off all my 115gr 9mm. Topped of a 2k can.

Just swapped press over to 147gr Berry's Flat Point. Going with 1.100 OAL and 3.4gr Titegroup. Middle of the recommended load from Hodgdon using their listed OAL for a 147gr JHP which has roughly the same nose profile.

I just can't see good brass go to waste, so it gets recycled and re-fired, literally. In this instance, 5.7x28mm filled with shot and wax.
Here is a 7.62x39mm variant, but I've also loaded the same projectiles in 7.65 Argentine.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 120grshot7.65.jpg
    120grshot7.65.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 7
Tried out a Redding profile crimp die for 44 magnum...not that I needed it, just because. Anyway, I understand this is a taper and roll crimp combination. I didn't get carried away turning the die in, but do these look okay for crimp? Seems harder to say by sight, compared to the Lee FCD.
20210619_221225.jpg 20210619_221409.jpg

... do these look okay for crimp? Seems harder to say by sight, compared to the Lee FCD.
You have a very modest roll crimp, but most cannelures are not very deep and don't allow much room for an aggressive roll crimp without compressing the bullet or case.
If you roll crimp on a cast bullet with a sizable groove, you'll really see the crimp.

Tried out a Redding profile crimp die for 44 magnum...not that I needed it, just because. Anyway, I understand this is a taper and roll crimp combination. I didn't get carried away turning the die in, but do these look okay for crimp? Seems harder to say by sight, compared to the Lee FCD.
View attachment 494105View attachment 494104
Hard to tell.
If I need a good crimp on jacketed bullets I like the Lee collet style crimp die. That sucker pinches it in tight right where it needs to be and nowhere else.

Maybe I'm just a little too over cautious, When I shoot lots of my own reloads I usually take a box or even a handful of factory loads to the range with me , just to compare with the loads I make. See if it's too stout or too limp . Or just plain sucky. Hasn't really proved anything yet so i guess I'm right in the middle of where I should be.

Still in use by a few Armies around the world. From Wikipedia

Shot 150 rounds of my 145 gr Acme bullet loads (3.2 gr of sport pistol powder) today and when I got home I almost shit when I saw the amount of lead towards the end of the barrel in my CZ SP-01 Shadow
0377F4FC-7A24-4771-839D-9B44CC2068BE.jpeg
Lewis lead remover ain’t working either which is annoying
Got some Hoppes bore cleaner soaking in it now. Accuracy was good surprisingly.

After further examination of my rounds it looks like I was scraping the coating off on some. I thought I expanded the cases enough but maybe not. 😡
5D7533E0-A91A-4CE2-B0C5-BDCF4ED3D479.jpeg AF0D9389-2430-4746-A55C-95D8DC9FC1BA.jpeg

I pulled some of the rounds that didn’t have slivers of lead at the mouth and they seemed okay. might just have to pull all of the ones with lead slivers.
E3DCDB1E-D46E-4DE7-B639-DBA45B2585D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot 150 rounds of my 145 gr Acme bullet loads (3.2 gr of sport pistol powder) today and when I got home I almost shit when I saw the amount of lead towards the end of the barrel in my CZ SP-01 Shadow
View attachment 494201
Lewis lead remover ain’t working either which is annoying
Got some Hoppes bore cleaner soaking in it now. Accuracy was good surprisingly.

After further examination of my rounds it looks like I was scraping the coating off on some. I thought I expanded the cases enough but maybe not. 😡
View attachment 494198View attachment 494199

I pulled some of the rounds that didn’t have slivers of lead at the mouth and they seemed okay. might just have to pull all of the ones with lead slivers.
View attachment 494200
Shavings will lead to serious leading real fast! Those little bits iron right in.

If you have some mercury on hand plug the barrel and pop a little in there. Plug the other end and shake it around. The lead will fall right out.

The crimp might be a little tight too. Seems it’s leaving a touch of an imprint on the bullet.

Shavings will lead to serious leading real fast! Those little bits iron right in.

If you have some mercury on hand plug the barrel and pop a little in there. Plug the other end and shake it around. The lead will fall right out.

The crimp might be a little tight too. Seems it’s leaving a touch of an imprint on the bullet.
Yeah they are not coming out. What a pain.
I don’t think I have any mercury laying around lol. At my previous job I could have stolen some that we had for testing/calibrating a Mercury vapor analyzer….

It’s possible the crimp could be too tight. Though the die settings work fine with my blue Bullets. But the blues are 0.355" and the Acme’s are 0.355"
Funny I didn’t run into this with the 0.356" Eggleston munitions bullets. One difference is the Acmes were loaded with all nickel plated brass. I wonder if the casewalls are thicker or something?

I don’t think I have any mercury laying around lol. At my previous job I could have stolen some that we had for testing/calibrating a Mercury vapor analyzer….

It’s possible the crimp could be too tight. Though the die settings work fine with my blue Bullets. But the blues are 0.355" and the Acme’s are 0.355"
Funny I didn’t run into this with the 0.356" Eggleston munitions bullets. One difference is the Acmes were loaded with all nickel plated brass. I wonder if the casewalls are thicker or something?
Shit that aint leading.....

With the Area 7 USPSA championship on Saturday I probably shouldn’t go too crazy and risk damaging the barrel somehow. Accuracy was very good (only shooting out to 40 feet).

Pure copper Chore Boy works surprisingly well on leading. Wrap some of it around your bore brush and run it with your bore solvent. Chunks of lead just fall out. Make sure you get the pure copper and not the coated plastic or steel. Good luck

Amazon product ASIN B0779D9BSGView: https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Count/dp/B0779D9BSG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Chore+Boy&qid=1624237366&sr=8-4

Alloy can play into how the crimp works out. Some manufacturers run softer alloys figuring that the coating will make up for it. In a lot of cases it does.
I’m also wondering if the coating is softer. I’m worked with powder coated bullets before and that stuff can be super soft. You can scrape it off with your fingernail. The hi-tek is hard as woodpecker lips.

I have some mercury from some old thermostats that comes in handy when I have bad lead issues. Snag it when you see it!

Artie is spot in with the copper chore boy. Make sure the relay copper and not plated steel (magnet test) wrap that around a brush and get at it.

Back
Top Bottom