• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

You can pull the bullets and start over or just pull the bullets forward enough. You can't do anything with the 4th one except salvage the primer, powder and bullet. The damage looks too deep to shorten to another caliber.

You can pull the bullets and start over or just pull the bullets forward enough. You can't do anything with the 4th one except salvage the primer, powder and bullet. The damage looks too deep to shorten to another caliber.
I knew I should have bought the bullet puller when I bought my press. Glad it'll be here tomorrow.

And yeah, that last one is rough. It's found its retirement in the dud box. Maybe I'll frame it and keep it as a reminder.

Picked up my cast bullets today. After shoving some bullets way into a few cases while trying to figure out how to crimp with the seating die, I finally got it.

First three 250gr .45 Colt HT cast bullets over 7.1gr of W572. Going to try and get 50 done today of increasing charges. I like the red. Might get green next time.

In other news, I over nighted a bullet puller to get my primers back. Each one counts. Who knows, might even be able to save the brass.

View attachment 460488
Just my 2 cents.....I think you need a little more crimp.

Finished 100 more 45acp. Got 800 rounds of 45 made up now. Switched the dies over to 357 mag now. Gonna run 158 grain jsp over 7.3 unique at 1.57oal. Max for that powder is listed at 8.3. Should be a smooth 357 load. Now to run a few hundy of these......after I finish this slice of pizza I'll head down and crank out the first 100.

Today was a sad day, I disassembled my Dillon 650 to box it up and send it to its new home. Here is all that remains, four holes in a bench that made many happy rounds of ammo.
715FC3DA-E92C-4815-B233-A51A50FE8144.jpeg

The good news is that in 19 days I get to make a new bench to reload at but this time in the happy gun loving state of New Hampshire.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same and wondering why you didn't seat them a little deeper so you could crimp in the crimp ring?
The crimp ring on these bullets is huge. I ended up giving them a good crimp and it fell right into the ring.

Just got notice that my gun showed up at the shop. Hope he gets to it tomorrow so I can pick it up and fire these off. First lever gun for me. Loading up some of them "Ruger only" loads tonight too. 250gr at 1,600 fps just sounds like fun. Got a box of those Buffalo Bore loads too, but they scare me. I lit off a single BB round in .357 once and swore them off.

Those grooves are not “crimp rings”

Crimp groove, crimp ring, same diff

Roll-Crimp.jpg

What are you using for components?
I’m using up items I bought last year before COVID shut down things. I only got to one match last year so I’ve got enough to last this season. I’m trying for a match a month.

Hornady brass and 147g ELD-M bullets
powder. H4350
cci LR primers

Ive thought of going to 120g bullets, and may try it for one match. But the 147g match bullets are within an inch of the 143 ELD-X hunting bullets out to 300 yards so I don’t have to re zero for deer season

The crimp ring on these bullets is huge. I ended up giving them a good crimp and it fell right into the ring.

Just got notice that my gun showed up at the shop. Hope he gets to it tomorrow so I can pick it up and fire these off. First lever gun for me. Loading up some of them "Ruger only" loads tonight too. 250gr at 1,600 fps just sounds like fun. Got a box of those Buffalo Bore loads too, but they scare me. I lit off a single BB round in .357 once and swore them off.
I have shot boxes and boxes of 180 grain Buffalo bore 357 from my sp101 snub..... Why do they scare you?

I’m using up items I bought last year before COVID shut down things. I only got to one match last year so I’ve got enough to last this season. I’m trying for a match a month.

Hornady brass and 147g ELD-M bullets
powder. H4350
cci LR primers

Ive thought of going to 120g bullets, and may try it for one match. But the 147g match bullets are within an inch of the 143 ELD-X hunting bullets out to 300 yards so I don’t have to re zero for deer season
If you can do a match a month, that would great. I would love to do one every other month, seems something always comes up. H4350 works great. Keep an eye out for Reloder 16, give that a whirl if you can, I think it works even better. I bought some Winchester Sta Ball powder, guess I'll find out how that does. Working up new loads is a pain in the nuts.

I think the 120's would be too light. What speed are you getting with the 147?

If you can do a match a month, that would great. I would love to do one every other month, seems something always comes up. H4350 works great. Keep an eye out for Reloder 16, give that a whirl if you can, I think it works even better. I bought some Winchester Sta Ball powder, guess I'll find out how that does. Working up new loads is a pain in the nuts.

I think the 120's would be too light. What speed are you getting with the 147?
I’m getting 2660 at the muzzle (Labradar) out of a 24” barrel which matches speed of factory ammo. I can substitute my hand loads for factory with no change, which was goal of my load development. I agree load development is a pain, so I tend not to change things up that are working. ( I havent changed my receipt for .270 Win in over 40 years. 😊)

Prepped another 200 pieces of new Hornady brass last night. Length went from min to almost max length, most around mid point. Trimmed all to near min length. Another 200 to go

Back
Top Bottom