What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I used to have a shotshell set up Like that.
Shot bottle broke and sent 7.5 shot everywhere , wife was finding it for years after.
Was banned to the crevasse down stairs after that.
With my Pacific DL266, #9 seems to like to hide in little crevices of the shot bar mechanism and make its escape when I don't have a shell under the tube. I finally just put a big baking sheet under the press to catch them before they ran off across the bench.

My new Dillon is setup. Loaded some light 44 magnum loads. I can only load 44 mag/special until a backordered shellplate and some missing pins come in from Dillon. Definitely a lot different than single stage reloading. Found powder not dropping at one point...had to adjust the fail safe wing nut. Glad I was visually checking for powder before placing each bullet! Made me worry I might've missed one, so weighed all the completed rounds at that point, and pulled a couple that seemed a bit light, just in case! They all had powder. Otherwise, not bad for my very first run on a progressive press. And glad I bought a UFO light, works great.

20210307_120215.jpg

My new Dillon is setup. Loaded some light 44 magnum loads. I can only load 44 mag/special until a backordered shellplate and some missing pins come in from Dillon. Definitely a lot different than single stage reloading. Found powder not dropping at one point...had to adjust the fail safe wing nut. Glad I was visually checking for powder before placing each bullet! Made me worry I might've missed one, so weighed all the completed rounds at that point, and pulled a couple that seemed a bit light, just in case! They all had powder. Otherwise, not bad for my very first run on a progressive press. And glad I bought a UFO light, works great.

View attachment 458852
I found that still running one cartridge at a time for a bit a good way to get used to the progressive. Looks great!
When you fill hopper tap on it a few times to settle the powder and than I usually run 5-10 throws through it before I start to get everything primed up. Check one or two than I’m ready to rock. I’d also periodically check throw every 10 or so cartridges until you feel confident it’s throwing consistently. Different powders will meter differently.

Just finished the framing. This thing is gonna be a beast! 10,000 screws and bolts later...
I think I spent about as much on FastenMaster structural screws, Simpson Strong Tie brackets, and Vycor tape as I did on pressure treated lumber on a deck I just built.

That workbench looks like you could rebuild engines on it. Good call making it a manageable reach front to back. Too deep just makes it a hassle to reach everything, and attracts clutter.

View attachment 458852
I like that light!

View attachment 458611for 9mm. Is this considered riding a fine line? The chart that came with my die set shows an OAL of 1.169. Asking because this is the first batch of bullets I made..

Thanks
Nah, you’re good, I’m always a few thousands over with some bullets, especially those with a cannellure...test a few, chrono it, examine the primers for pressure and you should be good..

View attachment 458611for 9mm. Is this considered riding a fine line? The chart that came with my die set shows an OAL of 1.169. Asking because this is the first batch of bullets I made..

Thanks
Personally I always go for just under the oal recommended. Have you tested them in your handgun? Common practice with any new recipe is make a few (for me that's 20 rounds) and test them for cycling and accuracy....and check spent cases for signs of over preasure......then make that recipe in quantity. How many did you make at that oal?

Ran another 100 rounds of 45acp up at the bench today. I'm determined to make 100 rounds a day to get a Blackstock up for plate season starting in April.

Ran by shooters. They had small and large pistol primers but only 200 per customer. Bought my obligatory 200. They are starting to get some new handgun stock in. They had 4 Colt pythons in the case. $4k each all 4 had the original boxes. Man I want one of those some day.

Personally I always go for just under the oal recommended. Have you tested them in your handgun? Common practice with any new recipe is make a few (for me that's 20 rounds) and test them for cycling and accuracy....and check spent cases for signs of over preasure......then make that recipe in quantity. How many did you make at that oal?
I made only 15.
I was thinking about making about 15 to 20 more slightly under in length and powder too.

Won't be able to get out until tomorrow or Tuesday

Spent some range time working with different charges in the .243. I got a Bog Deathgrip and tripod in the mail and was really able to shoot some groups with it.

Still can't get any tighter groups out at 200 yards than with a minimum charge of Hybrid 100V and a 100gr soft point. With each increased charge up to maximum, the groups opened up.

The minimum charge (40gr) held on the tripod shot a 5 shot group of 1.25" at 200 yards though. With me shooting off a rest, those groups really opened up lol.

I'm trying to come up with a mild accurate load for the .25/20. 1680 meters well and is quite accurate at 13 grains but a bit loud and I don't need 2000 fps. I just loaded a few rounds with 10 grains. I'll try them tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm also trying small pistol primers since sonny boy has many thousands of them.

Was just putting away a can of delinked .50bmg and spied another unmarked can I forgot I had on the floor level of the can stack......there's a reason it was on the floor!!......H E A V Y is an understatement.

Well Christmas came early again. I opened it and it's filled right to the top with 150gr .311 7.62x54R pulled bullets that have been resized to .308. Thinking back, I remembered that these came from Pat's Reloading years ago and he delivered them to Knob Creek for pick up. I remember flagging down one of the mules they run there to transport them along with a couple of cases of 9mm that I bought out in the vendor booths. Oh Happy Day!!!😀💪🏽

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 9
Spent some range time working with different charges in the .243. I got a Bog Deathgrip and tripod in the mail and was really able to shoot some groups with it.

Still can't get any tighter groups out at 200 yards than with a minimum charge of Hybrid 100V and a 100gr soft point. With each increased charge up to maximum, the groups opened up.

The minimum charge (40gr) held on the tripod shot a 5 shot group of 1.25" at 200 yards though. With me shooting off a rest, those groups really opened up lol.
Sub moa is good start

I'm trying to come up with a mild accurate load for the .25/20. 1680 meters well and is quite accurate at 13 grains but a bit loud and I don't need 2000 fps. I just loaded a few rounds with 10 grains. I'll try them tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm also trying small pistol primers since sonny boy has many thousands of them.
Trailboss might get you some lower velocities?
I dod not read this but stumbled across it looking for some other cast info

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom