What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just pick up a few of these

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN_RUw1l_II

a few cement mixers for tumbling and a old dryer or 2 for drying.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM&t=121s
Heres Rifle cases

View: https://youtu.be/8ZI3dWnGE_c
A few trimmers add your good to go

View: https://youtu.be/YgQEdOrDbwQ

Then a little space for shipping and receiving

I have a Kobalt mixer that I use to bulk tumble brass. I started wet tumbling w/ SS pins which is great. Had a brass processing party where the time to dry would not work, so I went with Lizard litter, nu-finish & some mineral spirit soaked dryer sheets @ about 45min per tumble. That worked out better for a group of about 5 guys split between tumbling and roll sizing. Was a really good time!

Back in action with a few new secret weapons.

Sized 15 lbs of bullets yesterday - that toy would have come in very handy

Does it use NOE sizing bushings?
What is the pressure on the cylinder (and size)?
It uses star sizing dies. The pressure is 80psi and the cylinder is 1 1/16" bore, 6" stroke.

Thanks - that only works out to be about 70 LBS of force max

I was watching the video on my phone so couldn't see clearly that you automated a Star sizer - I am looking at putting one together from scratch.

Also printing out the body for the bullet feeder - 30+ hour print on the recommended infill (way more than needed)

I'll bring mine and show how skinflints do it :eek:

No doubt. It's how I started too.

If i was the only one using my setup it would take me a lifetime of shooting to come close to breaking even on the investment. However, my whole family uses the setup so we're definitely getting our money worth. Not to mention I really enjoyed building the whole setup.

I mucked up my first attempt at hi tek and screwed up 100 185gr .312 boolits I made at the seminar :(

I think I used too much coating because it failed the hammer test and flaked off. Oh well, time soon to maybe try out my .312 155gr lee mould and give it another shot.

Loaded some 6.5x55 with 2520 for the Swedish Mauser. I may try them at 300 tomorrow but I think it's going to be mighty cold. The Swedish is very accurate but I don't know if it can outshoot the Swiss k1911.

I mucked up my first attempt at hi tek and screwed up 100 185gr .312 boolits I made at the seminar :(

I think I used too much coating because it failed the hammer test and flaked off. Oh well, time soon to maybe try out my .312 155gr lee mould and give it another shot.

either contaminated bullets or they didn't dry properly
Make sure you don't contaminate with oil or candle wax at all
place the bullets on top of your toaster oven to sit nice and warm for a good 15 minutes before baking. HiTek joe says if the coating is too thick and or if you don't properly dry you can basically cure the outside leaving the inside soft. So the outside passes the wipe test but the inside never got to dry onto the bullet.
the drying process is what bonds it to the bullet and the curing is what makes it hard.

i tried the trick of putting them on top of the toaster oven first, but only for 5 minutes or so. the bullets were in a shop towel still from the seminar (found them yesterday when I was looking for my snowblower, lol)

funny part is, the coating passed the hammer test after the first round. i then sized the boolits to .312 and went for a second coat and that's when I had the issue. i'll get some pics up if i can tonight.

Was that with the HiTek from the seminar?

If so you need to thin it out as there wasn't enough room in the bottle for the full 100ml of acetone.

I find I get better results with a thinner mix (120-140ml) and more coats.

i tried the trick of putting them on top of the toaster oven first, but only for 5 minutes or so. the bullets were in a shop towel still from the seminar (found them yesterday when I was looking for my snowblower, lol)

funny part is, the coating passed the hammer test after the first round. i then sized the boolits to .312 and went for a second coat and that's when I had the issue. i'll get some pics up if i can tonight.
That's the problem - don't size them until they are fully coated.

That's the problem - don't size them until they are fully coated.

Some have reported that sizing is OK after the first coat but I don't trust it.
Mainly due to the fact that lube sizer dies have lube on them a lot of times. or at the very least oil from when the were manufactured.

looks like you only sized the last two dri
Some have reported that sizing is OK after the first coat but I don't trust it.
Mainly due to the fact that lube sizer dies have lube on them a lot of times. or at the very least oil from when the were manufactured.

I've been using lanolin lube to make sizing easier on the shoulder.

So I may have misjudged my first attempt at hi tek coating. I read on Another forum that the smash test is to be performed with the bullet on its SIDE...I was smashing the bullet from the head. I still think I used too much coating, but this batch might at least be shootable?

261A2228-CDF7-482A-BB47-5023666A8D28.jpeg DCE773FE-22C5-4F92-AC62-6C0D003BACE1.jpeg The one I smashed on the head after the first coat

4A47A234-5AED-46EF-8E1C-A92FBFD9AEF4.jpeg The one I smashed on the head after the second coat

FB254347-C75E-47C3-9ABC-12CA7BF1DCDC.jpeg The one I smashed on the side after the second coat

What think the guru master? Can I just shoot these?

8B15CF6E-6C89-4CF9-A1B1-E6F5C422037C.jpeg Group photo :D

So I may have misjudged my first attempt at hi tek coating. I read on Another forum that the smash test is to be performed with the bullet on its SIDE...I was smashing the bullet from the head. I still think I used too much coating, but this batch might at least be shootable?

View attachment 265289 View attachment 265290 The one I smashed on the head after the first coat

View attachment 265291 The one I smashed on the head after the second coat

View attachment 265292 The one I smashed on the side after the second coat

View attachment 265293 Group photo :D

The really flaky one looks bad but the other ones look ok. I would shoot them 13 grains of red dot and call it a day. I've had batches where some flake and some don't due to contamination on the bullets. Different casting sessions all matched together or the first run of a mould that has some oil still on it.

Got back into the swing after a relatively long hiatus. Loaded up 50 plinkers in 45 Colt and 50 168 SMK's in 308. Both on the single stage. Enjoyed the slow and easy pace.

Forgot how much I love the Lyman Gen6. If I get in a groove I can work at an easy pace and by time Im done seating a bullet and placing the round in the tray, the next charge is ready. Quick but at the same time I dont feel like Im rushing to keep up.

View attachment 265289 View attachment 265290 The one I smashed on the head after the first coat

View attachment 265291 The one I smashed on the head after the second coat

View attachment 265292 The one I smashed on the side after the second coat

View attachment 265293 Group photo :D
i would toss them in some alox and shoot them.

Likes almost like that krinkle paint?

Question does hightec actually chemically bond to itself?

First necksized 30-06 ran without issue through the M1917 today. Tumbling them now.

Picked up 5k small pistol primers from FedEx on the way home from work.

FedEx sells primers?? ;)
I wish, at least the NH FedEx didn't treat me like a criminal even though the box had the Winchester logo all over it.
Compare to the MA FedEx who acted like the building was going to explode when I had some Greek HXP 30-06 held there.

I wish, at least the NH FedEx didn't treat me like a criminal even though the box had the Winchester logo all over it.
Compare to the MA FedEx who acted like the building was going to explode when I had some Greek HXP 30-06 held there.
Ive picked up more than a few of those in at the Fedex terminal in Wilmington (iirc) MA with no extra b.s. and no dirty looks . Winchester logo and all kinds of red hazardous material stickers all over them. Just tracking number, ID, and sign here. Never had any issues with having HXP held at the Fedex store in Peabody either. Some people g.a.f., some dont I guess.

Ive picked up more than a few of those in at the Fedex terminal in Wilmington (iirc) MA with no extra b.s. and no dirty looks . Winchester logo and all kinds of red hazardous material stickers all over them. Just tracking number, ID, and sign here. Never had any issues with having HXP held at the Fedex store in Peabody either. Some people g.a.f., some dont I guess.
I think it also depends on whether they know/realize what it is.

I had an M1 held in Wilmington, the guy didn't know what it was, he was just like "wow, this box is big and heavy, is it like curtain rods or something?" The HXP stuff was in Woburn. The first time it was fine, the second time I got a stern talking to but thought it was BS, the third time they said they would immediately return it to sender if I did it again and that even though the website allows it, it's "forbidden" or something similar. A nice dressing down by three employees in a store with several people in it.

Back
Top Bottom