1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by andrew1220, May 19, 2015.

1. TrashcanDan

TrashcanDan NES Member

I have enough material to build 2 more

andrew1220 likes this.

2. steve8140

steve8140

I’m also relatively new, just finished my first batch of 1000 9mm yesterday.
    From what I’ve read and watched, swapping the primer system from small to large isn’t bad and can be done in about 10 minutes. There are some really good YouTube videos of it.

As far as the 308 and 30-06 setups, I can’t speak about as I have no knowledge. But for getting parts, check out Bobcat Armament or if you have Facebook, the Dillon Reloaders page or more specifically, “Dillon Reloaders- The Exchange”. Both have components of sale new and used.

hv55maxx likes this.
  3. kope

kope NES Member

Same here.

andrew1220 likes this.
  4. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Its not really all that bad. Like anything else, once youve done it a few times it goes quick. I just make sure to plan things out so youre not doing extra work. For example, dont do a batch of 9mm, then switch to 45, then 223. Do the 9mm then 223 then 45 so youre only switching the primer set up once.

hv55maxx likes this.
  5. mark2215

mark2215 NES Member

If you do plan on frequent primer size swaps grab yourself a whole primer assembly from Dillon. Leave one set for large and another for small. It makes it a 2 screw operation to switch.

As far as conversion kits I found a spreadsheet that lists all the parts for different calibers. You can enter which kits you already own and it'll tell you what parts are needed to switch to another caliber.

6. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Doesn't the back seat fold down on the Accord? Mount the plate rack to a Stable Mate saw horse. The legs fold up.

7. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Think of all the money you saved vs a pick up to haul the rack... Accords are not a good excuse.

andrew1220 likes this.
  8. 01SVTvert

01SVTvert NES Member

Loaded 150 44mag with 240gr lswc. Cast, lubed, sized and gas checked by me. Loaded over 7.0 grains of Universal and another set at 10g Universal. Hope to try them out tomorrow

They are a little frosty which I now understand means I had the mold too hot. Makes sense since the spruce puddle was taking a little while to cool down. I am going to work on the tempo of casting with a 3-5 second cool.

Rounds ended up costing .03 primer, a few cents a bullet as I have had the lead for a while (most of it free and the gas checks were given to me. Powder maybe .05. So 44 mag for under $.10 a round.

9. Michael J. Spangler

Michael J. Spangler NES Member

Try running a second mold while the first one cools. You can keep up the tempo without overheating a single mold.

I do that all the time because I’m super impatient and can’t stand still. Works like a charm

10. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Got the brass back today. Looks real nice. Primers were easy to seat. I suspect the bullets might be harder to seat as the casemouths aren’t chamfered. Not the end of the world. This just saved me days of work. Now I can crank out some ammo this weekend.

Though I’m surprised USPS didn’t panic and call the cops as this is what the package looked like on my doorstep....OMG he’s got brass casings!!
    0230438E-9BD0-4EE0-8F59-9119C01179D5.jpeg

11. kope

kope NES Member

DSC_0246.JPG I had to check my brass too as I could have sworn they were chamfered. Maybe a .005 edge break there, but I haven't had any issues loading.

andrew1220 likes this.
  12. northny

northny NES Member

Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
    Getting set up for 6.5 creedmore. Went with Hornady dies (as half price of RCBS who is still charging $70 for standard FL dies). Redding competition shell holders just arrived so I can make first attempt at just bumping back shoulder.

13. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

I just started loading them and I definitely have to be more consiocus on how I place/hold the bullet while it’s seated. My other brass that’s chamfered is definitely easier. Not a big deal.

14. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Had a Fedex delivery once with the muzzle of an SKS poking straight through the end of the box, lol.

andrew1220 likes this.
  15. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Cranked out 600 rounds of 223 tonight. Nice to be able to load so much 223 and not dick around with brass prep lol. Still got a bunch more to load tomorrow.

Dradian likes this.
  16. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

I honestly didn't know there were folks out there in the brass prep business. Sounds like you feel it was worth a little money to save the time/hassle.

andrew1220 likes this.
  17. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Definitely! I would have had to spend countless hours everyday after work this week in order to load them this weekend.

slap shot likes this.
  18. pastera

pastera

I have minilathe that I use to prep bottleneck brass
    Not as fast as a dedicated brass machine but can still process a thousand cases in under 2 hours

19. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

HMMMMMMMMMM! I'm about to retire and looking for a side line to keep me busy and make a few $$ I own a lathe and know how to prep brass, this might be something to look into! I also don't mind repetitious tasks, (LOL) did I mention I have been married several times?...………
    These aren't huge money either if it 's broken down over serval thousand cases processed Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite Press

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    Fritz the Cat and andrew1220 like this.
  20. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

I don’t think removing material is the best way tho. I think swaging is preferred. I could be wrong. I do prepare my crimped pockets on a mini mill but I’m not concerned with precision on my AR reloads. They function fine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    andrew1220 likes this.
  21. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Added a bullet feed die to my 45 ACP turret and changed the lever from the straight one to one from In Line Fabrication (Welcome to InLine Fabrication. – Inline Fabrication). Looking at getting one of their quick change mounts soon, especially if I also get a progressive press.

bulletfeeddieandnewarmonpress.jpg

I'll probably change the decapping die on that turret the next time I run it. I already changed out the seat and crimp dies from the old Lyman dies to new RCBS dies (both carbide) since the old dies were marking the projectiles. Not sure if the old ones are worth trying to recondition them or not. I made up almost 200 rounds last weekend, that I need to take to the range this afternoon to see how they work in three of my 45 ACP pistols (two 1911's plus the HK). I'm hoping that I won't have to do much to any of those to get a single recipe to work in all three. I suspect I might need to change the recoil spring on one of them (the full size 1911) but I don't expect to have to do anything to the rest. I used the middle powder charge for the projectile weight and powder selected.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Dradian likes this.
  22. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Just heard this loud bang by my sidedoor. It was the mailman dropping my 64 pound box of 3,000 9mm bullets on my steps. Got 750 more coming Monday LOL.

He delivered 3k shortly after Black Friday so I’m thinking he is getting pissed off. Hey if it fits, it ships!

After seeing the 223 brass hanging out of the box yesterday I can only imagine what this mailman thinks. Not like I really care.

Artie and slap shot like this.
  23. Dakar652

Dakar652 NES Member

Made some more 7.7 Arisaka brass from 30-06 and I got this batch done a lot quicker than the first one. I should be able to shoot this brass for the next few years I think.

A96D3677-7014-4DC9-B26E-859C8194F8C8.jpeg

andrew1220, Dradian and Fritz the Cat like this.
  24. highscore

highscore

IT would be worthwhile to rechamfer them if there's any chance of tearing the jackets. Nothing is worse that having to call the pit for your target and finding that the bullet just didn't find it's way home. Now, if it's just practice blasting ammo...

25. akma

akma

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
    Wet tumbling does that to the mouth.

26. Dradian

Dradian

Just finished another 50 rounds of my favorite load for the Bergara (Varget, BR-2, 168 SMK).

After lunch I think load up a new ladder for the 178gr ELD-X. I wasnt happy with the Varget results, so I'm going to try H4895.

Attached Files:

andrew1220 likes this.
  27. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

….. My driveway is only 1 truck length long, so it's not like he has to carry a box more than 25'. I can't even count how many times I get home and it looks like the American Tourister Gorilla(www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730)has handled the if it fits it ships box. I'm surprised there isn't a brass trail from the edge of my Cul-de-sac to my mailbox.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    andrew1220 likes this.
  28. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Just pick up a few of these

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN_RUw1l_II

a few cement mixers for tumbling and a old dryer or 2 for drying.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM&t=121s
    Heres Rifle cases

View: https://youtu.be/8ZI3dWnGE_c
    A few trimmers add your good to go

View: https://youtu.be/YgQEdOrDbwQ

Then a little space for shipping and receiving

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    EddieZoom, Artie and andrew1220 like this.
  29. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Looks good. Did you anneal? I hope to do something with one of my arisaka so I can see the sights better. Need a much better showing this year.

30. Dakar652

Dakar652 NES Member

I did anneal...it was much more visible before I tumbled the brass after priming. I shut the lights off in the basement real romantic like and used a blow torch and a cordless drill with a socket on it. The 20 cases I did in the spring seem to have held up just fine to the fire forming and I only had one cracked case after a few reloadings.