• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Agreed. That 1:7 barrel is not likely to love projectiles under 69 grains, FWIW.
Highly dependent of velocity. Where used to pushing 223 2800+ fps
Some H4895 with Hodgdons reduced load formula and load up bump the charges till you get full cycle. I was pushing some 50g nolser tipped out of the 1/7 and surprisingly they did well at lower velocities
Vs some 52 berger varmint that just go poof around 15-20 yards

Yeah I've had several 55gr hot loads (3000+ fps) out of an 18" 1:7 I had previously that would just disappear before they made it down range. I've moved to 1:8s for any 16"+ guns, but 1:7 seems fine if it's 14.5" or shorter as there's not enough barrel to over spin them in my experience with about 10 diff guns.

What are you guys using to anneal. Or you don't bother I never did the annealeez machine looks interesting
i was doing it manually. Although I have enough brass to get me by for a good while. I am not looking forward to processing the brass i have waiting.
Around the 4th resizing it becomes "hard" to trim and you can clearly hear the cutter difference from 1st cut to 4th.

I loaded a few rounds of .45 Colt with black powder to try out of the 1872 open top. I know the old balloon head cases had greater capacity than the solid head cases of today but I could only fit 30 grains of fffg. The black powder load was 40 grains. I compressed the powder some but didn't want to go crazy. I already don't look that good and I didn't think wearing my press would improve my looks.

You can use the deburring tool or a blade (watch your fingers when it slips out of the primer pocket) to remove the crimp. It's a bit tedious, but it can be done with a minimum of gear.
The Dillon swager is a bit easier, but most consider it too pricey.
Not only do I consider the swager pricey, but also time consuming. I never owned one, but I would think it would have to be adjusted for different flavors of brass, some may be thicker than others. The possibility of deforming the brass could be there.

Back
Top Bottom