• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I’m overflowing in 30-30 brass now thanks to friends. Just picked up about 150 cases and 20 rounds of factory ammo from an old reloader friend in town. Have 100 arriving next week also.

In return my friend wants me to help him or let him borrow my bullet puller die so he can break down a thousand rounds of 9mm and 45 cast loads that lead like crazy. Apparently one of his friends loaded them and he thinks they weren’t lubed? I told him the hardness and/or sizing could be off. It was a PITA to pull the bullet since they’re a cast round nose bullet. Doesn’t grab very well.

I’m overflowing in 30-30 brass now thanks to friends. Just picked up about 150 cases and 20 rounds of factory ammo from an old reloader friend in town. Have 100 arriving next week also.

In return my friend wants me to help him or let him borrow my bullet puller die so he can break down a thousand rounds of 9mm and 45 cast loads that lead like crazy. Apparently one of his friends loaded them and he thinks they weren’t lubed? I told him the hardness and/or sizing could be off. It was a PITA to pull the bullet since they’re a cast round nose bullet. Doesn’t grab very well.
A shop close to me has some 30-30 brass for short money. I’ll snag it next time I’m in there. I think it was $5 for a snack baggy full.
You can pick it up at the next casting seminar.

Either way better off pulling them and cast some new ones,
Or he can pull a hack and dip the noses in LLA.

Last edited:
So apparently the 44 cal 240 gr XTPs I bought from a vendor a few weeks back were actually ‘streak’ bullets?? They have a gel on the base that will glow red when fired. He didn’t specify this when I bought them. But he sent out a newsletter last night with streak bullets for sale and said they have a gel on the base of the bullets. Then it dawned on me that is what he sent me. Pretty cool. I’ve already loaded some a couple weeks ago with H110. Can’t wait to see how they work.
Though he told me that they're not bright like tracers. Damn!! I was hoping they were. He said more visible in low light conditions.

That looks like the product from AR. Bullets with "Visual glow". You do have to shoot them in very low light conditions to see them well.
I don't think it is the exact item as "Streak", but I really don't know.
Through AR, these bullets are priced no more than standard run of the mill bullets.
You'll probably be blinded by the H110 and won't see the "visual glow".

Last edited:
Set them to 1.455 per manual. They set where they set.
Cannelures on plated bullets are shallow and kind of dubious, anyway. Unfortunately plated bullets are slippery. Still, you won't have any trouble with 38 specials jumping the crimp unless you shoot them out of a very light revolver. Maybe not even then.

I wish, instead of just listing the specific bullet, all manuals would record the length of the bullet they tested in addition to the overall length of loaded cartridges. Seating depth is not the only thing that determines pressure with a given powder charge and different bullets of the same weight, but it's one of the big ones. If their 158 grain bullets were 0.500" long and mine are 0.450" long, just to pull a couple of random numbers out of the air, then I would want to subtract 0.050" from their quoted COAL in order to more closely follow the recipe.

I came across a first for me today. I was checking out the .380 plate I got for the shell sorter setup and noticed some 9mm going through. The headstamp for those that passed through the plate are marked S&B 9mm Br.c. I tried searching on NES and couldn't find anything. An online search yielded that it is 9mm Browning corto which is comparable to .380 acp. I am glad I had the .380 plate, since I probably would've used them when loading 9mm given the headstamp said 9mm.

I came across a first for me today. I was checking out the .380 plate I got for the shell sorter setup and noticed some 9mm going through. The headstamp for those that passed through the plate are marked S&B 9mm Br.c. I tried searching on NES and couldn't find anything. An online search yielded that it is 9mm Browning corto which is comparable to .380 acp. I am glad I had the .380 plate, since I probably would've used them when loading 9mm given the headstamp said 9mm.
Yes the lowly .380 Auto is a 9mm Short, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Browning, 9x17mm, 9mm Corto and who knows what other names.

Got some LC 223 brass in the tumbler and my 21st century .22cal mandrel showed up today. I’ve been waiting to try out my new chargemaster lite and if I’m lucky it’ll run this
So I’ve got a bunch of different year LC but not a lot of each year think it’ll be fine to batch some of the smaller quantities into one

I got the same plate this week. Works well! I hate 380 almost as much as 45 small primer. Kills an auto loading press.

Anyone trimming 30-30 brass? I don’t know when my Lee cutting case gage thingy is going to arrive. I noticed a few cases were at 2.045". Max trim length is 2.039"....I feel like being a lazy/impatient f*** and not trimming 😂
Chamber one and see if it closes hard or not.
I think it was Hornady that sold a max brass length little jig for using with the OAL set up. That would tell the truth but you have to wait for that too lol.

Back
Top Bottom