• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Upon further inspection it looks like some primers are basically flush and not below flush in the primer pocket. Maybe I should hand prime these. My Hornady progressive press has developed a dent in the press where the primer seating thingy pushes against the press to then force the plug upwards to seat the primer.
The dent means that it won’t push/seat the primers as far now. Hasn’t been a problem yet with my other calibers. I dunno what to think lol. Do the primers really need to be well below flush in the pocket?
View attachment 428288
Ahhh there’s your problem. It’s too red. Get something blue and reliable and time tested to fit the your 30-30 that can claim all of those things short of being blue.

Redding full length sizing and seating die. Lee classic cast press.
It just dawned on me that 30-30 headspaces on the rim. And then I realized I had a handful of cases that were difficult to slide into the shell holder. I actually had to use the Redding shell holder for 7.5x55 to have enough wiggle room for the 30-30 rims. Hmmm maybe that’s the issue? Rims too thick causing light strikes?

I did notice a few rounds that wouldn’t lock the lever unless you really forcefully racked the lever and chambered a round. Sounds like this is a brass issue? Well that stinks.
Nicks/burrs on the rim maybe?

What about your Bullet seating depth? Any chance the bullets are hitting the rifling and causing the issue with not letting the lever close all the way?
Like I said a couple posts back my 336 Texan has a super short throat and the cast would engrave when closing the lever. It was such a close fit that I really have to make sure the bullets are seated with the case mouth to the very top of the crimp groove or there were issues.
The rim thickness makes sense too.
Also some of the brands of brass have super thin brass at the neck. That caused issues too. No neck tensions
Yeah I forgot about your previous post. I’m loading them at 2.55 with some a hair over that. 2.55" is the maximum length according to my Hornady manual so I may be too long. Maybe seat to the top of the cannelure as you do. I’ll make some up this week to try out.

Nicks/burrs on the rim maybe?
Possibly. I should have examined them more closely when I was reloading. I was getting lazy...
Though what is very strange is that I inserted all of the fired cases into the shell holder and not one got hung up in the shell holder 🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe after firing, the rims smooth out a bit?

@andrew1220 I've loaded a lot of 30-30 for both my Win94 and Marlin 1936 and I never had one fail to go off the first time. I think you need to seat your primers deeper, they need to be deeper to seat the anvil as I recall. Also, I loaded the bullets to the top of the cannelure. No feeding or chambering issues.

Dug into the bullet stash and put together some 357 magnum 100 yard thumpers for the 6" S&W 586.

Starline brass once fired, trimmed to 1.285", CCI500, 13.4 grains (thrown light then trickled up) of 2400, 1.585" OAL.

Going off Alliant data of 14.5g of 2400 and a 170 grain GDSP running 1166 fps, I'd started off with these using 13.6g, and was a little surprised to see them going over the chrono at 1333 fps average with sticky extraction and kind of brisk recoil. They were awesome, but I figured I should lighten it up.

Dialed it back to 13.3g and that ran 1209 fps average with good extraction. Going up a tenth to see how it goes. Went a little crazy, loaded 50. This is not quite a compressed load. If I shake a round I can hear the powder move around just a little bit. I think this bullet is now an obsolete part number, so I should have the load all figured out right as I run out. ;)

View attachment 428280

Those are fun.
I made some 180's with 4227. They were stout. Had a nice kick to em.

Redding full length sizing and seating die. Lee classic cast press.
It just dawned on me that 30-30 headspaces on the rim. And then I realized I had a handful of cases that were difficult to slide into the shell holder. I actually had to use the Redding shell holder for 7.5x55 to have enough wiggle room for the 30-30 rims. Hmmm maybe that’s the issue? Rims too thick causing light strikes?

I did notice a few rounds that wouldn’t lock the lever unless you really forcefully racked the lever and chambered a round. Sounds like this is a brass issue? Well that stinks.
You will run into issues sometimes.
Dug into the bullet stash and put together some 357 magnum 100 yard thumpers for the 6" S&W 586.

Starline brass once fired, trimmed to 1.285", CCI500, 13.4 grains (thrown light then trickled up) of 2400, 1.585" OAL.

Going off Alliant data of 14.5g of 2400 and a 170 grain GDSP running 1166 fps, I'd started off with these using 13.6g, and was a little surprised to see them going over the chrono at 1333 fps average with sticky extraction and kind of brisk recoil. They were awesome, but I figured I should lighten it up.

Dialed it back to 13.3g and that ran 1209 fps average with good extraction. Going up a tenth to see how it goes. Went a little crazy, loaded 50. This is not quite a compressed load. If I shake a round I can hear the powder move around just a little bit. I think this bullet is now an obsolete part number, so I should have the load all figured out right as I run out. ;)

View attachment 428280
How long is that bullet

Upon further inspection it looks like some primers are basically flush and not below flush in the primer pocket. Maybe I should hand prime these. My Hornady progressive press has developed a dent in the press where the primer seating thingy pushes against the press to then force the plug upwards to seat the primer.
The dent means that it won’t push/seat the primers as far now. Hasn’t been a problem yet with my other calibers. I dunno what to think lol. Do the primers really need to be well below flush in the pocket?
View attachment 428288
the primers need to be bottomed out especially if not a snug fit as the the F-pin can drive them forward loosing that energy to fire. The one that fired off on a retry propbably set off the now seated primer.
Take a good look at some of those primers you used and see if any are visible to having defects.
I emptied a tray of FGMM LR primers and found a anvil loose in the tray. Funny thing is non of the primers in that box where missing the anvil.
I have some remington LP that you could clearly see the difference between the primers and the amount compound in them.

I made some 180's with 4227. They were stout. Had a nice kick to em.

I've got a couple boxes of new old stock Sierra 180 grain jacketed flat point #8370. I'll dig into those when I've depleted the 170s. They look interesting.

How long is that bullet

Just measured. They run about 0.748" long. I have them seated with 0.445" below the top of the case.

I cleaned out Midway when they stopped making that bullet. I think I got 5 boxes of them somewhere. I used them in my Marlin lever gun with Lil' Gun and around 17gr if I recall. Its a stout load for sure and has to be screaming fast. NEVER use that one in a handgun!! (maybe in a DE but I'd be hesitatant) I may try some 2400 though since it sounds like you're getting good results with that.

I literally cleaned the entire gun except for the inside of the bolt. Definitely wouldn’t hurt to check as it hadn’t been shot in 40 years.
It was nice to ring steel with that lever gun today. Seems like the 150s shoot POA. The 170s were hitting low. But it’s easy to adjust the sights so.

Don't forget to set your shoulder back as well.
Goddam rifles.

A Wilson (or similar) head space case gauge will help with shoulder placement/die adjustment, but you should be able to use your rifle's chamber as well. Try chambering a sized case until you get no undue resistance while going into full lockup. If you need to seat a bullet to aid in feeding, do so. Once you get proper chambering, lock the nut on your sizer die.
Since the .30-30 head spaces on the rim, you might find case length may work a bit longer than spec. (depends on your rifle's chamber), but if you are seating bullets with a crimp groove or cannelure, you'll want to have consistent case lengths. You still may have grief with certain bullet profiles if excessively long.
With tiny bullets, some manuals caution that rounds may not feed due to lift gate tolerances.
FWIW, I've run the M1 Carbine 110g bullets and the Lyman (311008, left in pic) .32-20 bullet (sized to .308") in reduced loads and they function just fine..

Attachments

• .30-30Win..jpg
    .30-30Win..jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3
Well I had 4 light strikes with these CCI primers today. They all went off after a second strike. Here’s a few of them. The first one on the far left definitely has a very light dimple
View attachment 428133Except for one I hit 4 times and then stopped lol. Must be a dud primer?
View attachment 428134
Maybe I’ll stick with Winchester LRP as I have a bunch of those. I know CCI’s are the hardest so...

The firing pin on that old Marlin seems to move around okay so I don’t think it’s gunned up but I suppose I could take it apart anyway.

I found the article I was looking for regarding primer misfires, or not. It's a short read and mentions most of what has already been said/recommended.

Thanks. Ya I just looked up the Lee specs and it doesn’t cam over. So I think that rules out the cases not being sized.
Leaves me with high primers, OAL too long, or dirty bolt.
Did you say you swapped out the main spring?
I’m not sure if it’s the same on any other Marlin’s but my 39 has multiple slots for the hammer spring stirrup retention plate or whatever it’s called. You can adjust hammer spring tension that way and get a smoother feel to the action but a lighter strike which may or may not work.

Thanks. Ya I just looked up the Lee specs and it doesn’t cam over. So I think that rules out the cases not being sized.
Leaves me with high primers, OAL too long, or dirty bolt.
I haven't read all the responses, but have you confirmed if headspace is okay? Apologies if this was already answered.

Did you say you swapped out the main spring?
I’m not sure if it’s the same on any other Marlin’s but my 39 has multiple slots for the hammer spring stirrup retention plate or whatever it’s called. You can adjust hammer spring tension that way and get a smoother feel to the action but a lighter strike which may or may not work.
Oh no way that’s cool. No mine doesn’t have that. I did change out the spring but I had to put the factory spring back in as it wouldn’t ignite any of the primers.
I just took apart the bolt and it wasn’t really dirty at all. Next I’ll ensure I seat the primers deep and shorten the OAL a tad.

I haven't read all the responses, but have you confirmed if headspace is okay? Apologies if this was already answered.
Good question. I have no idea if the headspace is okay. You’d assume it’s okay since it was a hunting rifle and wasn’t shot much? If I still get light strikes after messing with the OAL and primer depth, I’ll have to check headspace

Good question. I have no idea if the headspace is okay. You’d assume it’s okay since it was a hunting rifle and wasn’t shot much? If I still get light strikes after messing with the OAL and primer depth, I’ll have to check headspace

It should be headspacing on the rim, I am pretty sure your problem is with primers not seated deep enough.

View attachment 428288
THIS IS DEFINITELY the problem. Your press is the wrong color! Jk lil JB weld good as new. I’d make sure primers are bottomed out and go from there.

THis link is not working so try google searching
Checking Winchester Model 94 Headspace
the Quick Way, its a hack way to check headspace.

i might have a 3030 headspace gauge if i do i will ship it to you.

Last edited:
Well I made 25 more and seated the primers as deep as I could (giggity...). Hopefully I can sneak out to the range tomorrow afternoon.
View attachment 428576View attachment 428577
I never get sick of looking at nice pictures ammo or components.
So when are you going to start casting? I see a 45-70 in your future and you’re going to want to cast for that

Well I made 25 more and seated the primers as deep as I could (giggity...). Hopefully I can sneak out to the range tomorrow afternoon.
View attachment 428576View attachment 428577
Keep track of headstamps

Keep track of headstamps
Ahh yes!

After doing some reading it appears headspace issues were relatively common with the older Marlins - compounded even more when there are variations in the rim thickness. I see on other forums that guys are basically neck sizing only so it headspaces off the shoulder instead of the rim. This allows basically zero “play” in the chamber when the bolt is closed. Added bonus is you’re increasing case life.

I’ll go that route if I’m still getting light strikes with these new rounds I loaded. Should be easy to figure out with my Hornady headspace comparator...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom