What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I have some of the BB 340 +P+ it is one hell of a crimp. I doubt my bullet puller would be able to yank one. I was hoping to try some more 300+gr hard cast bullets that werent as stout at the BB but still stout enough to bust open a bear or even a moose if needed up there. Im using a Dan Wesson 44vh with a 6" barrel. I wanted to make the swap from the XTPs but I got a great deal on 200 pieces of the 300s.

Jealous you got a DW 44. I'd love to own a DW revolver to keep my DW PM9 company.

Yeah the XTPs aren't cheap but then again you won't be shooting 200 rounds during one range trip either.

I'd like to hear the range report on those! You loading them pretty warm with H110/296?

I'm not sure what I'll be doing with them yet.
You don't need to push them too fast to get the job done that's for sure.
Aliant lists a 300 grain with 19 grams of 2400 for just shy of 1100 fps.
That's got to be pretty fun to shoot.
I'll think I'll sneak up on the 2400 load and see if I want to mess with the H100/296 after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jealous you got a DW 44. I'd love to own a DW revolver to keep my DW PM9 company.

Yeah the XTPs aren't cheap but then again you won't be shooting 200 rounds during one range trip either.

It truely is a great firearm. It was passed down from my father onto me. Was always his pride and joy of his collection. I do about 50 rounds on a good day out. After that I like to clean it, check the barrel to cylinder gap and tighten the barrel nut. I was worried about fouling the barrel before but with hard cast lead I dont worry as much.

Those 310s should run pretty good. Be interested in seeing the range report for them.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing with them yet.
You don't need to push them too fast to get the job done that's for sure.
Aliant lists a 300 grain with 19 grams of 2400 for just shy of 1100 fps.
That's got to be pretty fun to shoot.
I'll think I'll sneak up on the 2400 load and see if I want to mess with the H100/296 after that.

Gotcha. Well 2400 will get the job done for sure. I like 2400 since you don't need to use magnum primers.

2400 is great but it will leave a gun like a dirty whore... then again revolvers tend to be filthy anyways.... especially with magnum loads etc.

Do you load any? If so what do you load them with? H110? 2400? red dot [smile]

Can't recall. I no longer have my Redhawk, so I've not been reloading these for a few years. More than likely W296, 2400 and Lil' Gun (if the latter was even around when I last loaded them). Generally, if I used a jacketed bullet or a heavier GC bullet, I'd load them to full magnum strength. Lighter cast bullets 200 and 240 grainers often were loaded light or at Cowboy levels.
All I know is that a few cylinders worth were adequate per shooting session.

Hoping I'm back in business tonight after having an issue with the primer feed on my Loadmaster. Ordered a new one, showed up yesterday, we'll try it out tonight hopefully. Got lotsa 9mm parts to be put together.

30 rounds of 35 remington
30 grains of RL7 under a 200 grain jacketed soft point.
after the range trip tonight now I have 30 empty brass.

Finally got the stuck case kit and rescued my .223 resize die, then sized a few hundred bits of LC.

Whats a good way to get rid of the case lube after resizing (I'm using dillon case lube)? I have just been rinsing them in the sink with hot water and soap, but I wonder if theres a better way. I don't have a wet tumbler or I would do that, I suspect if I put them in the tumbler with the dry media then dust would just stick all over the sides.

Finally got the stuck case kit and rescued my .223 resize die, then sized a few hundred bits of LC.

Whats a good way to get rid of the case lube after resizing (I'm using dillon case lube)? I have just been rinsing them in the sink with hot water and soap, but I wonder if theres a better way. I don't have a wet tumbler or I would do that, I suspect if I put them in the tumbler with the dry media then dust would just stick all over the sides.

I tumble them after resizing to remove the lube. The dust does not stick if you tumble them long enough. Biggest issue is if you don't reprime the case before tumbling you will need to ensure that the primer flash hole does not have media stuck in it before you prime the case.

Got some more Hornady 44 mag 180 gr XTPs in the mail today. Probably load some of them up this weekend. Also need to try out the new Giraud tri way trimmer for 30-06.

Installed an inline LED light in my 550. Much easier to see down into cases now. Also thinking of rigging up a round counter just for fun. Keep having to fiddle with the lever that flip-flops to drop spent primers into the container as its getting stuck. Will probably replace the cheap clip with a pin of some type as its the pin thats causing it to bind occasionally, throwing the spent primers either into my lap or in the way of the primer bar, causing annoyances.

I tumble the completed rounds to remove lube on large batches. For small batches I wipe with a paper towel and a oderless mineral spirits.

To keep dust down to a minimum in the tumbler I will drop a cap full of oderless mineral spirits and a dab of Nufinish car polish. Let it run empty for a 15min Then add cases.

I would not tumble primed cases you will go nuts trying to see if any media is stuck in the flash hole.

Kind of senseless, I suppose, but I pulled some Albanian 54R and reloaded these brass cases with some coated bullets; also reloaded some of the original 148 gr FMJBT with a reduced charge of OEM powder. The Albanian cases seem a bit crude, several having flaws and cracks already.

Still don't have anything that shoots this caliber, but hopefully a friend will do me the honors.

Last edited:
Got some more Hornady 44 mag 180 gr XTPs in the mail today. Probably load some of them up this weekend. Also need to try out the new Giraud tri way trimmer for 30-06.

How hot do you plan to go? Hodgdon says H110 is good for 31.5, I havent gone that high as my Lyman manual cuts off at 30 and my Hornaday book has no data for H110 and 180gr XTP.

Cleaned a whopping 22 pieces of 35 remington brass this morning.
That stuff is hard to find!

Ah well I'm up to 32 pieces now. Enough to scratch the itch at the range.

Anyone else loading 35 remington?

No it's smaller. The 35 Whelan was based off of a 30'06 necked up a believe. The 35 Remington is shorter. I don't believe you can convert any brass to it by a simple sizing. The case is unique it didn't come from a normal parent case like 308 or anything.

My supplier has .35 Remington for 30 bux a box! What makes it so expensive/desireable?

Not a ton of guns in that cartridge. I guess it's just not super popular and the guns aren't either so there isn't a ton of demand. One local shop has a dozen boxes for about $33 a whack.
I'll stick with my 32 pieces of brass thank you.

As soon as my new lee bullet mould comes in I'll be shooting this cartridge really cheap. 200 grains around 2000 fps.

How hot do you plan to go? Hodgdon says H110 is good for 31.5, I havent gone that high as my Lyman manual cuts off at 30 and my Hornaday book has no data for H110 and 180gr XTP.

I set my powder measure for ~30.7 gr so there's some leeway for variation in the powder drop. Yeah it's interesting the difference in max charges between the Lyman manual and Hodgdon's website.

I'm not too concerned as I never have sticky extraction or severely flattened primers. And the Ruger super redhawk is a beast! Lol

Cleaned a whopping 22 pieces of 35 remington brass this morning.
That stuff is hard to find!

Ah well I'm up to 32 pieces now. Enough to scratch the itch at the range.

Anyone else loading 35 remington?

It has become rather scarce and obscure. I have reloaded it, but I've never yet owned a Remington Model 8/81 to blast it off. I once sent about 35 pounds of .35 Rem brass up to Alaska for cheap.
Think of it as a big brother to the 8mm Kurz and 7.62x39mm.

Not really reloading related but was bored and felt like posting some photos of the muzzle flash from my Coonan 357 earlier tonight. Sun was setting and made it a great time to capture the flames! Lol

158 gr JHP with 14.7 gr 2400
In succession:
View attachment 144679View attachment 144680View attachment 144681View attachment 144682

Kicking myself for not bringing my 125 gr loads with 17.5 gr 2400. That would be an even bigger flame

Here's one more photo, biggest flash I captured in slo-mo
View attachment 144683

Not really reloading related but was bored and felt like posting some photos of the muzzle flash from my Coonan 357 earlier tonight. Sun was setting and made it a great time to capture the flames! Lol

158 gr JHP with 14.7 gr 2400
In succession:
View attachment 144679View attachment 144680View attachment 144681View attachment 144682

Kicking myself for not bringing my 125 gr loads with 17.5 gr 2400. That would be an even bigger flame

Here's one more photo, biggest flash I captured in slo-mo
View attachment 144683

I think that is more flash than my 12" AMD 65!

Back
Top Bottom