What condition Does everyone carry in?

Still utterly amazed. I don't get carrying an unchambered firearm.
If you pocket carry without any sort of trigger guard or external safety, I can understand... Murphy's law clearly indicates the trigger will be snagged by "something" at some point in that condition.

With a functional holster though, it makes no sense to me either. Unrealistic/TV/Movie expectations of the reality of a SD event would be my guess.

Well that and firearms have indeed gotten more reliable in the last 500 or so years... Wives' tales applicable to revolvers without a firing pin (primer struck by spur on the hammer) and horseback riding for example, while entirely valid for their era are no longer applicable.

If you pocket carry without any sort of trigger guard or external safety, I can understand... Murphy's law clearly indicates the trigger will be snagged by "something" at some point in that condition.

With a functional holster though, it makes no sense to me either. Unrealistic/TV/Movie expectations of the reality of a SD event would be my guess.

Well that and firearms have indeed gotten more reliable in the last 500 or so years... Wives' tales applicable to revolvers without a firing pin (primer struck by spur on the hammer) and horseback riding for example, while entirely valid for their era are no longer applicable.

A revolver w/o one under the hammer is still going to be 'ready to go'. A semi auto not.

For me it was the military, as I've mentioned before on this forum. When I first started carrying (Glock 19), I was very paranoid about the lack of a manual safety. The USMC, which was my first exposure to firearms, taught me that I wasn't to be trusted with live ammo anywhere other than on a firing line, that I had to be patted down whenever I walked away from a firing line, that a firearm could just go off if you looked at it the wrong way, and that not having your safety on was such a serious transgression that it warranted being tackled by three drill instructors. After about two months of carrying as a civilian, I got comfortable and realized that the USMC was just treating me like a child.

After about two months of carrying as a civilian, I got comfortable and realized that the USMC was just treating me like a child.
In their defense, they have designed a system to accommodate people young enough that they are still finishing developing their "action vs consequence" cognitive abilities. Males in particularly are demonstrably (and clinically) impaired in this arena in their mid-to-late teens. [laugh]

In their defense, they have designed a system to accommodate people young enough that they are still finishing developing their "action vs consequence" cognitive abilities. Males in particularly are demonstrably (and clinically) impaired in this arena in their mid-to-late teens. [laugh]

Yeah, I know, it's the whole "train to the lowest common denominator" thing. And I can't deny that the methods work pretty well for producing a quality military product. Just saying that I can understand why someone would carry without a chambered round. I did it for two months. I'm not proud of it, I don't agree with it, and I don't recommend it, but I do understand it.

Yeah, I know, it's the whole "train to the lowest common denominator" thing. And I can't deny that the methods work pretty well for producing a quality military product. Just saying that I can understand why someone would carry without a chambered round. I did it for two months. I'm not proud of it, I don't agree with it, and I don't recommend it, but I do understand it.

So, when I was in (Clinton years, 100% peacetime, no HSLD spaceshuttle door gunner shit,) I was issued an M9 and my a-driver got a shotgun because we drove the ammo truck to the range. (Basically a Ford pickup with a ton of ammo loaded in the bed.) We were both "condition 1" at all times. Have things changed?

So, when I was in (Clinton years, 100% peacetime, no HSLD spaceshuttle door gunner shit,) I was issued an M9 and my a-driver got a shotgun because we drove the ammo truck to the range. (Basically a Ford pickup with a ton of ammo loaded in the bed.) We were both "condition 1" at all times. Have things changed?

whats condition 1

Chambered round, weapon on safe. (In the case of the M9, hammer down - so it wasn't technically "condition 1" as per Cooper but that's what we called it.)

Now that I think about it, I'm not 100% sure that the shotgun was in condition 1. I do know for a fact that my M9 was because I remember the stupid kabuki unloading dance I had to do at the armory every night when I checked it in.

Last edited:
I didn't even carry like that while i was on patrol in the Balkans.
we were mag in nothing chambered unless we were doing something that was actually dangerous, which was not common.

Did you carry and M9 or rifle? (Or both?)

Hmm. I left the Yuma rifle range in early 2000 so maybe things have changed since then. Maybe the brass thought that a truck loaded full of ammo, on a very predictable schedule, and about 1 mile from the Mexican border was worth a couple chambered rounds. I never asked, I just did what I was told.

Actually, no. Whenever the armorers transported weapons and ammo they always had a condition 1 M9. However, when I stood post as COG over an entire battalion's worth of M198's and shells/charges/fuzes that were sitting on a pier, I was given an M9, one magazine, 10 rounds, and told not to put the rounds in the mag nor put the mag in the pistol under any circumstances. I asked if I could get a rape whistle at least.

Actually, no. Whenever the armorers transported weapons and ammo they always had a condition 1 M9. However, when I stood post as COG over an entire battalion's worth of M198's and shells/charges/fuzes that were sitting on a pier, I was given an M9, one magazine, 10 rounds, and told not to put the rounds in the mag nor put the mag in the pistol under any circumstances. I asked if I could get a rape whistle at least.

"toot toot" someone is stealing all the shit! "toot toot"

I carry condition 0. Now.

Prior to this thread, I was condition 3 (full mag, none in chamber).

I've always figured if I was getting carjacked or something, I'd have time to rack the slide after un-holstering my pistol. Or if I was about to walk through a risky area, maybe I'd chamber a round first. Certainly if there's a bad guy knocking at my door, I'd have plenty of time to cock it before answering. Those seem to be the "most likely" scenarios I foresee myself having to use my firearm for self-defense.

I have been carrying for less than a year. I think my wife is still a bit antsy (I know, I know....) about knowing there's a loaded gun around, and I told her I carried in "condition 3" to help keep her at ease a little.

But I understand more now about what you're saying, and will get in the habit of keeping one in the pipe too, from now on.

EDIT: Changed the 1 to a zero. My M&P doesn't have an external safety. Only the mag safety. Regardless of the "number" the description is that my gun now has 10+1 in it (where before it was 10+0).

Last edited:
I didn't even carry like that while i was on patrol in the Balkans.
we were mag in nothing chambered unless we were doing something that was actually dangerous, which was not common.

our SOP was mag in, chambered, safety on for the M16s
same for my 60, belt in ready to rock..... this was during I/SFOR

1911= "condition 1" (loaded chamber, hammer back, safety on)

Makarov= loaded chamber, hammer down, safety off

Glock= loaded chamber

Walther PPK/S= loaded chamber, hammer down, safety off

Those being a few of the guns I might be carrying at different times.

Carrying an auto with an empty chamber is pointless IMO.

+1

our SOP was mag in, chambered, safety on for the M16s
same for my 60, belt in ready to rock..... this was during I/SFOR

Not for me in KFOR.

Maybe obi1 or whatever friggen name he is using now can tell us what they did early on in KFOR. He was there in early 00' I think. I was there much later.

Never been in the military myself, my brother was, and they wound not trust them in CONUS, even on watch, with life ammo. He used to complain of being on watch with an empty gun! My story is simple - I came to carrying a gun in my mid twenties, and carried that way from day one. I guess the logic of knowing how my various firearms worked and how they were designed to work made me confident in carrying in the appropriate manner.

I really have enjoyed everyone's comments. I do know how my firearms work but just needed to get comfortable with carrying with one in the chamber. I`m glad to see this thread took off in so many different directions. Also would like to add that I don`t know where some of you come up with half the ship you say but it sure is entertaining. Cheers (everyone take a drink)

Also would like to add that I don`t know where some of you come up with half the ship you say but it sure is entertaining. Cheers (everyone take a drink)

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits.

Yep you're there!

one in the pipe....all the time.

It took me a little to get over the nervousness, but I truly believe, for me, there is no other way to carry except condition 1.

Back
Top Bottom