What can you have & leave in the car (almost) ready to fire?

NO

When it's in the car and you're not, it falls under standard storage laws like it does it your home. Therefore, it must be locked up.

I agree that standard storage laws apply in that situation. MGL chapter 140 section 131L states that the firearm must be stored in a locked container with a tamper resistant lock.

However, a locked vehicle meets those requirements, though a court/jury may disagree.

This is of course a gray area, and I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle unless it's in a locked box, but technically as I read it the law does not prohibit it as long as the vehicle is locked.

For brief periods, I leave my guns and ammo in my truck; usually when running an errand on my way home from the range. The guns and mags are in locked cases or bags but the ammo is kept in unlocked tool bags. The truck is locked and Axel the Rottweiler is on duty. Under these circumstances I feel that the guns and and ammo are safe. I would never leave guns or ammo in a vehicle for extended periods, such as an 8 hour shift. It is too easy to steal a motor vehicle and I would hate to have to tell the cops that the dirt bag that stole my truck is now armed with one of my guns.

No loaded magazines in Mass. I dunno about speed loaders though.
Trigger locks are not addressed legally for motor vehicle transport. Firearms to be locked in Trunk or secure case. Glove box, center console etc are not acceptable with or without a trigger lock.

Unattended, I wouldn't chance relying on the laws regarding home storage to save your butt.

I can't find anything prohibiting loading magazines being stored with an unloaded gun. Could you direct me to the MGL which prohibits this?

I understand that a magazine is considered part of the gun in Massachusetts, whether inserted or not. Considered by, I imagine, the arresting officer, prosector, Attorney General, liberal Judge, and Cambridge jury.

Massachusetts is likely to argue about the "intent" of the legislature. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes here you can't do something unless the law specifically says you can.

We need an attorney to weigh in.

In California a loaded mag is considered a loaded gun, but not here in Mass.

When it's in the car and you're not, it falls under standard storage laws like it does it your home. Therefore, it must be locked up.

I agree that standard storage laws apply in that situation. MGL chapter 140 section 131L states that the firearm must be stored in a locked container with a tamper resistant lock.

However, a locked vehicle meets those requirements, though a court/jury may disagree.

This is of course a gray area, and I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle unless it's in a locked box, but technically as I read it the law does not prohibit it as long as the vehicle is locked.

I feel the same way, but some of the legal eagles disagree with me. IIRC Cross-X defended a guy who got in some trouble for something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom