What can you have & leave in the car (almost) ready to fire?

I am wondering what if any firearm you can leave in your car as an alternative to a handgun on your person in MA or NH?

Here are a couple of scenarios that I realize present challenges such as quick access, and also and possibility of theft, but here they are:

Possible Option 1: I realize you can not leave a loaded handgun in the car, but I think you could leave an unloaded handgun in a locked case (possibly one of those small cases with a cable and key) and a loaded magazine in the nearby unlocked console or glove box?

Possible Option 2: Shotgun or Rifle locked in the trunk with a magazine or ammo also in the trunk?

Possible Option 3: Shortie pistol grip Shotgun Under the seat with a trigger lock and a loaded magazine in the unlocked console or glove box.

Are these options possible
A- while you are in the car, and
B_-to leave unattended?

Are there any better more easily "ready to fire" options?

[smile]

No loaded magazines in Mass. I dunno about speed loaders though.
Trigger locks are not addressed legally for motor vehicle transport. Firearms to be locked in Trunk or secure case. Glove box, center console etc are not acceptable with or without a trigger lock.

Unattended, I wouldn't chance relying on the laws regarding home storage to save your butt.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to leave a gun that was easy to access and load in my car. That leaves it open to theft every time you step away from your car. I would rather have it on my person, so it is harder to steal from me, and I have easier access when SHTF. I don't want to try to unlock a case with a car-jacker at my window.

I personally wouldn't want to leave a gun that was easy to access and load in my car. That leaves it open to theft every time you step away from your car. I would rather have it on my person, so it is harder to steal from me, and I have easier access when SHTF. I don't want to try to unlock a case with a car-jacker at my window.

I agree. I'd stick with the usual oc spray, mag light. knife, etc.

Trigger locks are not addressed legally for motor vehicle transport. Firearms to be locked in Trunk or secure case. Glove box, center console etc are not acceptable with or without a trigger lock.

Unattended, I wouldn't chance relying on the laws regarding home storage to save your butt.

I can't find anything prohibiting loading magazines being stored with an unloaded gun. Could you direct me to the MGL which prohibits this?

I appreciate the humor, but this is actually a real question I have about the law, not WD-40 and Duct Tape! [smile]

I agree Chopper I don't think that there is anything prohibiting carrying a loaded mag in your car. As far as the comments about leaving something of value in the car, the least of my worries are if someone breaks into my car and steals for instance a $150 shotgun. That's practically how much a box of 9MM cost's these days!!

Anyone actually know the law, based on my original post???

Last edited:
I appreciate the humor, but this is actually a real question I have about the law, not WD-40 and Duct Tape! [smile]

I agree Chopper I don't think that there is anything prohibiting carrying a loaded mag in your car. As far as the comments about leaving something of value in the car, the least of my worries are if someone breaks into my car and steals for instance a $150 shotgun. That's practically how much a box of 9MM cost's these days!!

Just carry it on your person. What if someone attacks you while you're unlocking your car? You going to ask him to please hold on, while you acess your locked, unloaded gun?

I believe I asked before in the Mass Laws section, they said you can store a loaded magazine with a locked up gun. For example, a gun in a case with the magazine in the case loaded, locked case.

Yes, the shotgun will be the least of your worries when somebody commits a crime with it before you know it's gone. Seriously, it seems like a bad idea to leave gun and ammo in a vehicle. More problems will come from this than could ever possibly be solved. That is why people get a LTC, so they can protect themselves with a firearm. Unless you drive a Police cruiser, don't leave a shotgun in it unattended. You are asking for trouble.

And just how do you expect this firearm is ever going to help you? It will be unloaded and probably not the easiest thing to pull out and load, especially if it's a shotgun. By the time you pull it out and load it it will most likely be too late to help. Get a LTC, keep your gun ON YOUR PERSON. If it was safe to do what you ask, everybody would be doing it.
Kenny

I believe I asked before in the Mass Laws section, they said you can store a loaded magazine with a locked up gun. For example, a gun in a case with the magazine in the case loaded, locked case.

just remember "they" won't be with you in court. You need to read and understand the law. I would be much happier if these legal question post started in one of two forms:

1) "where can I find the laws related to ....."

2) "I'm read MGL 1234, subsection6, part a. I don't understand how to interpret...."

By the way: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm

I understand that a magazine is considered part of the gun in Massachusetts, whether inserted or not. Considered by, I imagine, the arresting officer, prosector, Attorney General, liberal Judge, and Cambridge jury.

Massachusetts is likely to argue about the "intent" of the legislature. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes here you can't do something unless the law specifically says you can.

We need an attorney to weigh in.

Last edited:

There is nothing in the MGL I'm aware of that prohibits the storage of a loaded magazine in the vehicle. See here:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm

This section of the MGL does not mention magazines at all. It DOES require that Class A holders with hi-cap rifles and shotguns must keep them unloaded and locked at all times in the vehicle. But it doesn't specify anything about the state of related magazines.

And it doesn't even address unloaded handguns. It only talks about keeping loaded handguns or low-cap rifles/shotguns under your control.

That said, when you leave your handgun in your vehicle it's wise to unload it and put it in a lock box, and hide the magazine elsewhere in the vehicle (need not be locked) or take it with you. There's no point in taking unecessary risks.

And if you want the opinion of one of the several resident lawyers, post this under the "Gun Laws ---> Massachusetts" forum.

Last edited:
I understand that a magazine is considered part of the gun in Massachusetts, whether inserted or not. Considered by, I imagine, the arresting officer, prosector, Attorney General, liberal Judge, and Cambridge jury.

Massachusetts is likely to argue about the "intent" of the legislature. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes here you can't do something unless the law specifically says you can.

We need an attorney to weigh in.

This is not clear at all. There are two definitions in MA law, one that includes the magazine and one that does not. Personally, I think that transporting and storing loaded mags not inserted into the firearm is fine. The intent of the law in question is to prevent hunting from your car.

Last edited:
Just carry it on your person. What if someone attacks you while you're unlocking your car? You going to ask him to please hold on, while you acess your locked, unloaded gun?

What if you can't bring it in to work with you? Or if you're going in to the post office? Court house? Picking up the kids at school?

I certainly have considered an under-seat lock box w/cable for those situations, especially since it's not practical for me to carry at work.

pistol in car

I thought that was settled yrs ago.you must have posession of handgun at all times.we used to take our pistol box into coffee shop when stopping to eat.as to leave it in your car unatended got you in a world of trouble.
this question is why you have GOAL.ask and you shall receive.
it was llready posted as having pistol under your control.you dont have it under control if its in car locked or not.

I thought that was settled yrs ago.you must have posession of handgun at all times.we used to take our pistol box into coffee shop when stopping to eat.as to leave it in your car unatended got you in a world of trouble.
this question is why you have GOAL.ask and you shall receive.
it was llready posted as having pistol under your control.you dont have it under control if its in car locked or not.

Read MGL chapter 140, link I posted above. The law only states that a LOADED firearm has to be under your control. An unloaded handgun left in the car is not specifically prohibited by the MGL, but common sense says to lock it up.

Read MGL chapter 140, link I posted above. The law only states that a LOADED firearm has to be under your control. An unloaded handgun left in the car is not specifically prohibited by the MGL, but common sense says to lock it up.

NO

When it's in the car and you're not, it falls under standard storage laws like it does it your home. Therefore, it must be locked up.

Back
Top Bottom