• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Are Your Thoughts on Smart Guns?

TargetSportsUSA

Dealer
NES Member
Unlocking Safety – Exploring Biometric Gun Technology

I’ve got 40 years in electronic design, computers, network, and control systems. That smart gun was designed by someone not so smart, use it and find the design flaws. I feel the same on self driving cars, home automation and networked appliances. These devises are only as smart as the dumbest design team member.

[I've said this before]: Prove to me it works.
First, assign it to the Capitol Police that protects members of Congress.
Second: Police Forces around the Country.
Third: The Military
Only then, will I give it careful consideration before finally telling you to F*ck Off.

You do you. No way in hell am I going to use technology that even has the slimmest possibility of being remotely disabled...

No thanks.

The biometric locks on my phones and PCs are only marginally reliable ... in a pristine environment ... and they've been working on that problem for years.

Hold up folk, give me some time for my pistol to boot ... ah crap, service pack is installing. :D

Last edited:
You do you. No way in hell am I going to use technology that even has the slimmest possibility of being remotely disabled...
As good a reason as it is: who needs remotely disabled? Powers out, the battery is dead, and the bad guy is inside the house [frown]
People die all the time in the not so boonies, because every day tech fails them (no cell phone service for gps ( oh yeah, and no weather alerts) and the real gps (if they have one) battery is dead.
As for self-driving, just put some pie plates or cones in the road, or paint fake lines; DON'T get me started [rofl]

A solution in search of a Problem
It's a failure waiting to happen.
Soon enough, government will start to regulate this / firearms.
The government ruins everything it touches.
We should all Avoid any company that is pushing this nonsense. Essentially that company is the enemy, it would be a matter of time, until government forces it upon the citizens.

Also, any smart gun is also a dumb gun. If it doesn't work when you need it to at 3am. It is a Failure.
Does it work if the secret ring is in the other room or damaged.
Does it work if your hands / fingertips are sweaty

I wouldn't ever touch a "smart gun"

IMG_2417.gif

The only purpose behind this type of technology is to exist as a "ritz cracker: to drive gun control anybody who cares about their rights needs to shit on it unilaterally until it dies a painful death in the market.

Not only is it another point of potential failure, as often mentioned with this type of gun, but digitizing controls of guns opens up pandora's box with regards to removing control from the owner. What if, down the line, your gun could be remote shut off on you? Someone figures out a way to remote fry the circuit board. Or worse, the company making these secretly puts in a wireless backdoor to root. Liberty safe comes to mind.

“State-of-the-art capacitive fingerprint identification and 3D facial recognition systems independently verify your identity, so your firearm always recognizes you, even if you wear gloves or a face covering.”

Recognizes you in a mask and gloves…

Don’t worry dawg, you can still take down that liquor store 🤣🤣🤣.

Someone was NOT thinking when they wrote that text!!!

No thanks.

The biometric locks on my phones and PCs are only marginally reliable ... in a pristine environment ... and they've been working on that problem for years.

Hold up folk, give me some time for my pistol to boot ... ah crap, service pack is installing. :D
Biometrics don't read through contamination.
A wet fingerprint doesn't read change from water to blood and it's worse.

Biometric locks will kill many multiples of the number of law enforcement lives saved from losing control of their weapon.

Like everything else in America with SMART in front of it ( STUPID ) is there an exploding head emoji ?
Sorry sir your gun won't fire until it gets a new software update.
if you did a simple pro's and con's on a white board i think you would run out of white board on the con's side.

Call me a technocrat, but I can't get behind the idea that a technology, which some consumers might prefer, should not exist on the basis that future government action might make it mandatory. Or maybe it is just because I live in a state without an adult-user seatbelt law :)
The only purpose behind this type of technology is to exist as a "ritz cracker: to drive gun control anybody who cares about their rights needs to shit on it unilaterally until it dies a painful death in the market.
The reason (some) anti-gun orgs oppose smart guns is a reason not to be totally opposed to the product existing -- availability may convince soccer moms and others on the fence about having a gun in their home at all to become a first time gun owner.

Yes, this is the "gateway drug" theory -- get the suburbanites hooked on gun ownership, getting new folk going to the range and into completive target shooting is how we avoid having whitebread "gun culture" extinguished.

Back
Top Bottom