What about this one? OOS x-fer from family member

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been covered in another post, but as much as I've studied the "laws" in th good 'ol PRM, I'm not sure on this one...

My father has Maine residency, and would like to purchase a gun not on the approved list for me for a wedding gift. The gun in question would be purchased in Maine, and then given to me here in the PRM. Is this legal? The gun would most likely be new, and would be transfered face-to-face. Any of our legal eagles want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!

Residents of 2 different states cannot transfer a handgun between themselves without using an 01 FFL. Being in MA, you will not be able to have a non MA compliant handgun transfered to you through an FFL.

Fooped said:
Sorry if this has been covered in another post, but as much as I've studied the "laws" in th good 'ol PRM, I'm not sure on this one...The gun in question would be purchased in Maine, and then given to me here in the PRM.

I doubt that you looked very hard. [frown]

And STATE law is virtually irrelevant where, as here, FEDERAL law controls. ALL interstate gun transfers require an FFL. What you propose is illegal.

Since you are a Mass. resident, that requires a Mass. FFL. At this point, STATE law comes into play. As the gun is, per your post, NOT approved, no Mass. FFL could lawfully transfer the gun to you.

On the bright side, you CAN inherit it!

This makes sense (as much as any of our gun "laws" make sense). I asked merely because of the family member component, as I wasn't sure if that held any water here. In query to your statement of inheritance, my father being in his 70's, has to address the "willing" of his firearms (some of which most likely are NOT Mass. compliant). How does the inheritance sceanrio change things? If this is a big long complicated subject (which I'm sure it is), if someone can give me the cliff notes version, or direct me to the appropriate info source, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again...

Back
Top Bottom