WHat 1911's are ok in MA?

WHat 1911 pistols are MA compliant? It seems that all of them are only the HIGH priced ones, I want just a "plain Jane" GI type without spending a ton of cash, do any exist in MA?[frown]

Whatever ones you find for sale at a price you are willing to pay!!

The S&W 1911 is great, although it has an external extractor and ma**h*** so it is not "original plain Jane GI".

You can still find used Colt 1911s out there for sale. Prices are a bit high, but you can find them.

WHat 1911 pistols are MA compliant? It seems that all of them are only the HIGH priced ones, I want just a "plain Jane" GI type without spending a ton of cash, do any exist in MA?[frown]

If you want cheapies there are AO, RIAs, Armscor, etc.

The new Remington R1 is a good deal for the money, IMHO. (they come in around $625 in most gun shops in MA that have them).

-Mike

Whatever ones you find for sale at a price you are willing to pay!!

The S&W 1911 is great, although it has an external extractor and ma**h*** so it is not "original plain Jane GI".

You can still find used Colt 1911s out there for sale. Prices are a bit high, but you can find them.

That was what I was hoping to avaid, the "high price" Looked at the Armcor RIA but found out the AG says NO on that one, and I heard the Auto Ordinance are crap, so I guess that pretty much squashes any plans of getting one new in the box for reasonable money.

That was what I was hoping to avaid, the "high price" Looked at the Armcor RIA but found out the AG says NO on that one

A lot of people say this but I've never seen anything to back it up. More than likely the AG hasn't said a damned thing, but some gun shop won't sell you one because their distributor hasn't "christened" it as MA compliant.

-Mike

A lot of people say this but I've never seen anything to back it up. More than likely the AG hasn't said a damned thing, but some gun shop won't sell you one because their distributor hasn't "christened" it as MA compliant.

-Mike

I think it is a good bet you are right Mike, seems as though the only "AG OK" firearms are the more expensive ones... but THAT would make sense since it would bring in more TAX! [wink]

The Armscor/RIA 1911 is on the EOPS list, first gun listed...

Doesn't mean anything. Some dealers will not sell because they "think" it is not CMR940 compliant. Same thing with the Glocks and a bunch of other guns on that list.

-Mike

Another perfect example of the insanity of the EOPS list and the AG regs.

1911s generally get approved because of their design (slide, safeties, etc.). Example: they don't require 10lb trigger pulls because they have alternative safety measures.

That being the case, wouldn't you think that virtually every modern 1911 would be compliant by design (with the exception of a loaded chamber indicator)?

How is one 1911 safe, essentially by design, and another mfg's 1911 is unsafe? NONSENSE!

I agree it IS nonsense, my uncle was a full bird colonel in the Marine Corps, at one point he was teaching handgun safety, he ALWAYS maintained that the 1911 pistol was the safest pistol on the planet with a little common sense used with it, of course he also said that used by someone with the correct skill level it was one of the deadliest to their enemies. the point is, exactly what you said Nana the Great, by design they should ALL be compliant! lack of a loaded chamber indicator is mainly what keeps MOST off the list! Which is TOTAL garbage!

Another perfect example of the insanity of the EOPS list and the AG regs.

1911s generally get approved because of their design (slide, safeties, etc.). Example: they don't require 10lb trigger pulls because they have alternative safety measures.

That being the case, wouldn't you think that virtually every modern 1911 would be compliant by design (with the exception of a loaded chamber indicator)?

How is one 1911 safe, essentially by design, and another mfg's 1911 is unsafe? NONSENSE!

A 10lb trigger only applies to a dual action pistol. 1911's are single action so the a 10 lb trigger rule does not apply

I bought the basic fixed sight S&W some years ago. At that time I called it the best buy in 1911s since it has many features that cost extra from other brands, is a quality product, and tends to shoot very good groups. I have not changed my mind altho the price tags today do make one gasp! As to the external extractor, S&W engineers told me that they had decades of experience with them and therefore used it on the 1911. That feature, as well as the forward slide grooves, beavertail, etc., make this gun illegal for Excellence In Competition matches sponsored by CMP. Many others are also not eligible.

Am waiting for the Ruger SR1911. Have looked at the Rem but was not impressed; grunchy trigger. Have not had the opportunity to shoot one or to examine the trigger components.

KirkVN dunno where in Western MA you are, but if you like the Remington 1911R1 there's a couple of them at A&J's in Houstonic. There's also (according to their website, which does get updated frequently I think) a few at Nick's in Palmer.

I'd worry less about the list and look at what's under the glass in shops. 1911s have been so popular for so long that there are plenty of all types on the used market.

BTW, if Springfield is convenient, give Guns & Gun Parts a call. Last time I was there they had a bunch, and at reasonable prices. (Makes a nice day trip combined with the Springfield Armory.)

As to the external extractor, S&W engineers told me that they had decades of experience with them and therefore used it on the 1911. That feature, as well as the forward slide grooves, beavertail, etc., make this gun illegal for Excellence In Competition matches sponsored by CMP.

The beavertail is the only "illegal" feature on that list. Forward slide serrations are specifically called out as legal in the rules. An external extractor isn't specifically covered but should fall under the "improving function" rule. (Debatable if it actually does, my in any case it's not giving you any advantage over other competitors.)

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.pdf (Section 6.5.2 - 6.6.2)

Just my thought for purchase of a "ma" 1911. I have a colt , sig. 1911 45 s , and the Remington R-1. "my" thought for the $ , I am very happy with the R-1. Nothing against any others. VERY IMPORTANT = I am no expert just a casual shooter and really enjoy the r-1 , the cost was excellent and I really like the "feel" of the old style weapon. I did some stone / polish work on internals and it is even better.

I did get my 1911, so I am all set now! :) but it does still bother me that one 1911 be MAOK and yet another with almost identical build specs is NOT "ok" seems so foolish actually, almost makes you think that the method to decide which are & which are not is done by the old, "throw the names on a dartboard and shoot" to see which are "ok"![rolleyes][hmmm]

actually I ended up with exactly what I had wanted, A Rock Island Armory in bright Nickel! I KNOW it is not the most expensive or "classy" 1911 out there but it looks SO much like my Uncle's old 1911 that the Marine Corps gave him when he retired I HAD to find one as close as I could and this one was it! :)
PICT0606.jpg PICT0605.jpg

Last edited:
actually I ended up with exactly what I had wanted, A Rock Island Armory in bright Nickel! I KNOW it is not the most expensive or "classy" 1911 out there but it looks SO much like my Uncle's old 1911 that the Marine Corps gave him when he retired I HAD to find one as close as I could and this one was it! :)
View attachment 21670View attachment 21671

Congrats!!!! Sounds like you got the right 1911 to start your collection!!! Oh yes buy one and you will buy more!!!! [smile]

What are everyones thoughts on a Taurus 1911? Is it a decent piece? Anyone have one? I'm looking at using it for the range only. It would not be used as a defensive firearm. Let me know what you think...

What are everyones thoughts on a Taurus 1911? Is it a decent piece? Anyone have one? I'm looking at using it for the range only. It would not be used as a defensive firearm. Let me know what you think...

You couldn't pay me to touch a Taurus 1911 with a 49.5 foot pole.

If you're on a budget you're better off with a used SW1911, Remington R1, or something like that. Rock Island Armory produces inexpensive 1911s that generally don't suck, as well.

-Mike

From what I hear, taurus in general uses low quality metals, poorly fits their pieces together and they are prone to early wear. I will caveat that by saying I have never owned one and am just going by the experiences of others, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I did get my 1911, so I am all set now! :) but it does still bother me that one 1911 be MAOK and yet another with almost identical build specs is NOT "ok" seems so foolish actually, almost makes you think that the method to decide which are & which are not is done by the old, "throw the names on a dartboard and shoot" to see which are "ok"![rolleyes][hmmm]

No, it shows that you don't understand the process for approval . . . briefly explained below.

- MFR (and only the MFR) has to submit samples for testing by one of a short-list of approved test labs.
- MFR has to submit test data to GCAB for a "recommend approval" decision.
- GCAB "recommend approval" decision is forwarded to Secretary of Public Safety for action/inaction (there have been periods of time where recommendations have sat for up to 6 months with no action by EOPS).
- EOPS List MUST be published in newspapers (done quarterly) with model listed BEFORE any MA dealer can legally sell the gun.
- MFR has to assure Distributors and Dealers that gun ALSO MEETS AG Regs before it can be sold/transfered by a MA dealer. This is a "self-certification" process whereby IF the AG disagrees, s/he sends a "cease & desist" order with threats of $5K/gun fines to all the dealers/distributors/mfr and demands that they retrieve all of these guns that were previously sold.

That last step is the reason why MOST mfrs smartly (wrt running their business and limiting legal liability) decide NOT to submit guns to GCAB for only 1/2 the approval needed. AG will NOT approve any guns, therefore mfrs don't care to play "gotcha" with the MA AG a**h***s that are in power (past, present and future).

I hope the above helps you understand why this all occurs now.

Thanks Len! appreciated, good explanation by the way! :) still makes it difficult for the manufacturers to get any sales out of this state I see! again... thanks for the explanation, I was actually kind of hoping you would chime in! :)

Thanks Len! appreciated, good explanation by the way! :) still makes it difficult for the manufacturers to get any sales out of this state I see! again... thanks for the explanation, I was actually kind of hoping you would chime in! :)

We lost power for 2 days, so I'm just trying to catch up. Probably another day or two before I catch up on NES.

just my opinion, but for the money i like the ruger p345. its a great gun just not a 1911 and i know that is what most want. the ruger is still a great auto imho.

You couldn't pay me to touch a Taurus 1911 with a 49.5 foot pole.

If you're on a budget you're better off with a used SW1911, Remington R1, or something like that. Rock Island Armory produces inexpensive 1911s that generally don't suck, as well.

-Mike

View attachment 21670View attachment 21671

Nice looking gun Kirk..... I went on a 1911 tear the last couple months..... and I'm not done yet as I just saw the 3" SW ProSeries 1911 by Lew Horton.. gonna need one of those. But here's my little collection. Mike is right on when he mentioned the S&W's. I paid from $650 to $795 for all 4 of my S&W 1911's, including the new E series. The other four in the picture are two PC945's, an old Colt USG and of course one of my favotires.. my M&P45. I been carrying the 2nd picture 1911Sc lately, I like the grip bling..

Guns_10-22-11_001.jpg

1911Sc.png

Back
Top Bottom