• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s That In My Foot?

This is the exact reason why I will often ask Pts if they’ve been shot before, and are there any projectiles still inside them. It’s surprising how many still have fragments or the whole damn projectile still in them.

Wow...and completely intact. I'd save that as a lucky charm. Wonder if he was shot multiple times. They pulled one out thinking they found it, but there was a second in there.

What I can't get over is the angle. It looks like he literally stepped down on to a bullet that had skipped off the ground and was traveling parallel with the ground. Being that he was in SD, he may well have been barefoot and thought he just stepped on a rock. Not the kind of thing you'll give a second thought to when running from gunfire.

Nope. No identifying information provided. You need names, id’s, pictures of patient, etc for it to violate HIPAA. Merely age, gender, etc, and accompanying xrays or diagnostic tests is like a journal study.

Yup. Now, when my friend brought home a second copy of a bracelet he printed out that day while checking in a patient, just because no one would believe that he had a patient named Kunthair Yee come to the hospital that day... That may have been a violation. [laugh] True story. He was right though, I said he was full of shit. Then he pulled out the bracelet.

His sneaker stopped it. Almost.
I think that is a very reasonable conclusion. It hits the rubber insole and imbeds itself into the plantar surface deep enough but not deep enough to stay put, hence the migration of the bullet through the hypodermis until it bothers him years later.

Nope. No identifying information provided. You need names, id’s, pictures of patient, etc for it to violate HIPAA. Merely age, gender, etc, and accompanying xrays or diagnostic tests is like a journal study.
What about identifying info on the actual picture on your cell phone?

Does that not have more info like a name on the image that was not edited before it appeared on NES?

I know I would not want my X ray on somebodies phone.

Don't let that stop you from posting cool stuff though!

What about identifying info on the actual picture on your cell phone?

Does that not have more info like a name on the image that was not edited before it appeared on NES?

I know I would not want my X ray on somebodies phone.

Don't let that stop you from posting cool stuff though!
Standard practice to do so in the clinical setting. Just zoom in enough to preclude the pertinent info. As a healthcare provider or worker it is incumbent upon us to be responsible with patient info.

Standard practice to do so in the clinical setting. Just zoom in enough to preclude the pertinent info. As a healthcare provider or worker it is incumbent upon us to be responsible with patient info.
That's awesome!

I really like your posts!

Maybe I'll contribute with some medical pics in a few years when I get my colonoscopy.

I'm hoping they will give me HD video to take home on a CD like they do with X Rays.

I stepped on a nail when I was younger. Didn't feel a thing except a board was stuck to my foot and it felt wet since my sneaker filled with blood.
BTDT. I did it at work one day and after I pulled my foot from the board I went into the office and snapped off a bit of pencil to plug the hole in my shoe so not to make a mess(decent distance to walk while my foot was leaking), then proceeded to the managers office.

Me: I need you to grab $200, no $270, from petty cash and I'm leaving but will be back in 20 minutes or so.

Manager: What? And no.

Me: I need you to grab $270 from petty cash and I'm leaving but will be back in 20 minutes or so.

Manager: No on the money, and where do you believe you're going?

Me: Stepped on a nail, going to Health Stop down the street for a shot.

Manager: [rolleyes] Do you need me to call your mom so she can come give you a hug and a band-aid? How bad could it be?

Me: (Okay, f***er wants to play games. So I take off my shoe and the remove foot bed and wring it out on his desk, then drag my blood soaked sock across his floor to his side of the desk)

Manager: WTF!

Me: A**hole, I'm trying to save the company some money by paying cash so insurance rates don't go up but if you want to be a c*** about it I'll happily call an ambulance and file a claim.

Manager: :eek:(still to this day unsure if it was the manner and tone in which I spoke to him or the mess I made)

Me: Still standing here leaking waiting on you to get the money.

Manager: Right, but why $200 then $270?

Me: Figure $200 for cleaning up my foot and the shot, the extra $70 is for replacement shoes.

Manager: I don't believe we should have to replace your footwear.

Me: Well I'm certainly not going to be walking around here with what appears to be one of your maxipads from a heavy flow day stuck to the bottom of my foot. And seeing it was caused by another employee leaving a nail laden board laying about instead of picking up after themselves I believe it falls on the company to replace my footwear. It's a small price to pay and easier to explain than another workplace accident.

Manager: 🤔

Me: ...... Ambulance it is.

Manager: No wait, I'll be right back. :mad:

Now some may call BS that I speak to my bosses like this, which is fine. The truth is I don't care about being fired for how I speak to co-workers/bosses, and I know I can be a PITA for my bosses because they've told me as much. The fact is I show up everyday, get more accomplished than most, and generally don't give a damn about all the stupid BS "rules" designed to inhibit us and just get the job done. It's why other departments still try and recruit me at my current job and when at my last job others would try and convince me to transfer to their location when I'd do fill in work to cover vacations and such.

My jobs are just that, jobs, not careers. In the off chance I were to be fired I'd take whatever shit job(however embarrassing) until I found something better. Pride takes a back burner while the bills continue to come in.

BTW the manager was Dave, and quite unhappy with my maxipad/heavy flow day comment. Problem for Dave was the guy he replaced was promoted to the next higher position and loved my candidness and wanted to keep me around(he also wasn't a fan of Dave and knew he hated me).

Just bone spurring subsequent to osteoarthritis. He has healed fractures of the fifth, fourth, and potentially third metatarsals. He also has a lot more going on in the mid foot and ankle that is beyond my pay grade to read.

I have those on my fingers. I had some that went away. I couldn't even put my wedding ring on anymore and now it's gone completely. Others are still there.

One doctor said they I had Osteoarthritis and another said it's part of my dupuytren's.

One take away is that anyone shot goes on to live a full life after the shooting because of FMJ. If these were RIP’s or HST’s you can imagine there would be a hell of a lot more scrubbed from this plane. I’m sure there are many still out there living their best after taking a Glaser slug too.

Sometimes I get to urge to use FMJ in my self defense guns, I figure I'm more likely to shoot myself than a bad guy. Or my cat if he pisses me off one time too many.

Happened in Santo Domingo.
Rough neighborhood, Santo Domingo is.
vka8wwr0nt131.jpg

You thought brass rats were bad.

No one tell @Michael J. Spangler -
he'll want to reload it.

I stepped on a nail when I was younger. Didn't feel a thing except a board was stuck to my foot and it felt wet since my sneaker filled with blood.
The Bride's late father was working his post-retirement handyman job at Island Beach State Park,
supervising the summer youts on cleaning up the beach.

In NJ, it's not all hypodermic needles and beach whistles.

They are going to pick up a massive section of dock that had floated ashore,
and slide it into a dump truck for disposal.

One-two-three-LIFT!
They all pick it up.
One of them drops their corner.
The raft-sized assembly almost falls on his foot.
It's stopped by a giant spike going through his foot,
pinning his foot to the sand.

OK, we're gonna lift it again,
and this time, no matter what you do,
don't drop it until I tell you to.

One-two-three-LIFT!

Dock comes up.
Foot comes up with the dock.
He punches his kneecap to get his foot off the spike.

OK, you can drop it!

Now someone drive me to the garage,
I need a ride to the hospital.

Greatest Generation.
(Along with Atlantic convoy duty,
he patrolled exactly that section of beach
looking for Nazi spy landing parties).

Last edited:
Rough neighborhood, Santo Domingo is.
vka8wwr0nt131.jpg

You thought brass rats were bad.

No one tell @Michael J. Spangler -
he'll want to reload it.

The Bride's late father was working his post-retirement handyman job at Island Beach State Park,
supervising the summer youts on cleaning up the beach.

In NJ, it's not all hypodermic needles and beach flutes.

They are going to pick up a massive section of dock that had floated ashore,
and slide it into a dump truck for disposal.

One-two-three-LIFT!
They all pick it up.
One of them drops their corner.
The raft-sized assembly almost falls on his foot.
It's stopped by a giant spike going through his foot,
pinning his foot to the sand.

OK, we're gonna lift it again,
and this time, no matter what you do,
don't drop it until I tell you to.

One-two-three-LIFT!

Dock comes up.
Foot comes up with the dock.
He punches his kneecap to get his foot off the spike.

OK, you can drop it!

Now someone drive me to the garage,
I need a ride to the hospital.

Greatest Generation.
(Along with Atlantic convoy duty,
he patrolled exactly that section of beach
looking for Nazi spy landing parties).
Wait did someone say bullet?!? I’m betting I could work that into some useable ammo.

Wow now that you think about it that would make a cool revenge movie scene.
Kind of like death wish. Except the would be vigilante gets shot. Pulls the bullet out. Melts it down. Reloads it. Shoot bad guy who shot him.

😁

Back
Top Bottom